cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

province-wide calling plan, but long distance error message

Janterry
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I have a friend who just recently signed up with PM, he tried to make a call today from a nearby town and got an automated "do not have long distance" type message...he was still calling with the province though. 

Any ideas why he got this message?

12 REPLIES 12

The "you don't have long distance include in your plan" and "long distance charges may apply" aren't the same issue.  The "Long distance charges may apply" message is based solely on local calling areas.  Example:  Calling from Toronto to Ottawa witout a preceeding 1 or +1 will always get you that message.  However, you can actually ignore that message and the call will proceed each time after a few second delay. 

The "You don't have long distance" message is the result of Public Mobile believing that you are making a call to a different province. It is refusing do the call because Public Mobile doesn't have any pay-per-use biling system.  Unfortunately, there aren't any setttings or different ways of dialing that can fix that.  Only Public Mobile can fix this for you by fixing their database of area codes and exchanges that are considered as being within your province.

@steven930 agreed with you I did suggested earlier +1 magical number as well
** I am not a Mod, please do not include any private info in a private message to me.**

steven930
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Let try +1, before dail out. I was use another company before, when I call other province calls can go through. While I added +1 it go through. Could try.

steven930
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I do think so

In that Niagara Falls to Mississauga example, there is nothing actually fix.

as @Luddite mentioned, it is simply a message left over from the days of local calls, and long distance calls (to anywhere).  Province wide vs. Canada wide calling is a relatively new idea in telephone calling.

The message is simply a warning to say, you misdialled, and really should have put a 1 in front to engage the long distance system.

to block this message adding +1 does work, however, it isn't a fix 🙂

As I'm thinking about this more, i wonder if this is a side effect of 10 digit dialling.  When I was a child, I didn't need my area code when dialling a local call.  For a long distance call within my area code, I only. Needed to dial 1 first, then the 7 digit number.  For the numbers outside my area code, I had to use the 1 + 10 digit number.  With the start of 10-digit dialling, the difference between local and same area code dialling became blurred, thus requiring this awkward message.

@Acekiller
I went to Niagara Falls this Sunday was calling brother in Mississauga without dialing +1 I got msg saying long distance charges may apply I don't know maybe @Janterry can verify with his friend if he getting this msg or other msg because if he getting this msg it's a easy fix By adding +1
** I am not a Mod, please do not include any private info in a private message to me.**

Acekiller
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

it could be one of those voicemail that actually said "you need to add +1 to the number you need to call".

Also ask friend to add +1 before number let see if that work he won't be charged for anything as long he's calling in province

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle
Let the call continue in spite of the message. If it goes through there will be no charge; it's a message left from local calling days.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Ask your friend try again sometime to see if he get same msg maybe it's was just a network gitch and if he do get a same msg ask him post a msg here or send a private msg to mod dept to clear things up hopefully he's issue will get resolved

Samianauman
Mayor / Maire
Shouldn't be receiving any msg since he's not calling any long distance

CaNuCk07
Mayor / Maire

Was your friend anywhere near a provincial border?  Possibly picking up a cell tower across the provincial border?

Need Help? Let's chat.