cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

province wide Talk

Totop
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi!  does unlimitted province wide talk mean that you can make or receive calls to or from anywhere within the province ?

23 REPLIES 23

@srlawren wrote:

@wetcoaster using VoIP app to call your voicemail is another option for sure.  The voicemail access numbers are available to anyone.  Technically you could go into your phone's voicemail settings and set any one of the numbers in that list as your voicemail access number that it would then use to dial you in when you hold down the "1" key briefly in the dialer. 

For people on a Canada-wide plan, try calling any of those numbers and you'll see what I mean, it takes you into your voicemail like normal.  For people on Canada-wide plans, they can use any.  For people in province-wide talk plans, it's important that you use an access number that's in your home province while you are in your home province or you either wouldn't be able to call your voicemail (if you have no LD add-on mins), or it would use up some of your LD add-on mins (if you have any available). 

But I'm fairly certain that since @domptg can call a BC number while travelling to BC without needing any LD mins, they should be able to call one of the BC-based VM access numbers just the same as calling the hotel they are staying at in Whistler or the restaurant in the village to make reservations, etc.  [on a side note: I recommend 21 Steps http://www.21steps.ca/, very nice restaurant, yummy food and good atmosphere 🙂 also, there's a killer crepe place in town called Crepe Montagne http://crepemontagne.com/ ]

Keep in mind that especially if you have Canada-Wide LD, you do not need ANY voicemail access #. You can simply call your own tel # and you will also be directed to voicemail, at which point you simply press # during your outgoing message and you get prompted for your password to access your voicemail.

This also works for Province-Wide plans if you are within your home province.

domptg
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Thanks everyone! 

I know what to expect now. I feel okay as far people can call me and I can pick up my messages through BC number. The rest of the folks can wait a week untill I come back and call them from ON. Thanks 🙂

@srlawren wrote:

@wetcoaster using VoIP app to call your voicemail is another option for sure.  The voicemail access numbers are available to anyone.  Technically you could go into your phone's voicemail settings and set any one of the numbers in that list as your voicemail access number that it would then use to dial you in when you hold down the "1" key briefly in the dialer. 

For people on a Canada-wide plan, try calling any of those numbers and you'll see what I mean, it takes you into your voicemail like normal.  For people on Canada-wide plans, they can use any.  For people in province-wide talk plans, it's important that you use an access number that's in your home province while you are in your home province or you either wouldn't be able to call your voicemail (if you have no LD add-on mins), or it would use up some of your LD add-on mins (if you have any available). 

But I'm fairly certain that since @domptg can call a BC number while travelling to BC without needing any LD mins, they should be able to call one of the BC-based VM access numbers just the same as calling the hotel they are staying at in Whistler or the restaurant in the village to make reservations, etc.  [on a side note: I recommend 21 Steps http://www.21steps.ca/, very nice restaurant, yummy food and good atmosphere 🙂 also, there's a killer crepe place in town called Crepe Montagne http://crepemontagne.com/ ]

@srlawren

Thanks for that - I learned something new today! (And put it right to the test - I can access my voice mail through the Winnipeg VM number!)

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@srlawren wrote:

@domptg to your last question about voicemail:  I believe you can call the BC-based voicemial access number 778-580-4001 while in BC, without needing any add-on minutes, since it's a BC-based number.  (For reference for anyone looking for a list of all the voicemail access numbers, check here:  https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Paying-for-your-service/access-voice-mail-out-of-home...)

@srlawren

Isn't the voice mail number tied to your phone number? I'd have expected that @domptg's voice mail for their ON number "stays" in Ontario.

They can always call their own phone number with fongo, hangouts etc and then access their voice mail by pressing "*" (star) and entering their PIN.

srlawren

@mimmo wrote:

@domptg the incoming rule was changed a while back. And all incoming  calls work no matter the province you are in. 

@domptg this is correct.  Please see the Long Distance and U.S. Roaming Add-Ons section in the Plans & Add-Ons knowledgebase article for clarification.

For reference, I've highlighted the relevant situation in blue and answer in green:

IncomingOnProvWide.png

In other words, it's included in your plan.  (Your plan minutes are unlimited--the part after about not having enough plan minutes referes to the $10/50/50 plan.)

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

srlawren

@domptg to your last question about voicemail:  I believe you can call the BC-based voicemial access number 778-580-4001 while in BC, without needing any add-on minutes, since it's a BC-based number.  (For reference for anyone looking for a list of all the voicemail access numbers, check here:  https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Paying-for-your-service/access-voice-mail-out-of-home...)

mimmo

@domptg the incoming rule was changed a while back. And all incoming  calls work no matter the province you are in. 

domptg

Under  PM Terms and Conditions:

2. Province-Wide option includes outgoing calls you make anywhere in Canada to a number with an area code in the same province, and incoming calls you receive while you are in your home province. A Long Distance Talk Add-On is required to receive incoming calls while you are outside your home province.

Incoming part is very unclear.

mimmo

You can receive anywhere in Canada. While in bc you can call anywhere on bc. If you want to call Ontario while in bc buy the long distance add on either 200 mind or 400 mins

domptg

Hello everyone!

I'm on unl text and province wide calling plan in Ontario. Next few months we are going to Whistler BC and I wonder what are my chances that my phone will work.

I did search the forum for half an hour and now I'm confused even more.

My question is: I'm going to receive incoming calls from Ontario numbers ?  Yes or No

Can I call Ontario numbers myself ? Yes or No

How do I call my voice mail ?

@NDesai wrote:

@Totop You can make calls to anywhere in the Province from anywhere in the Province. If you want to make calls outside of your province, you will need the long distance add-on (200min $8, 400min $15). 

For more info on this, use this article: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/Province-wide-Canada-wide-and-Long-Dis...

That link no longer works  😕

@Korth wrote:

@bryclopswrote:

In Ontario I can make calls to anywhere in Ontario but if I go on a trip to Quebec I can only phone Quebec numbers.  Calling an Ontario number from Quebec would require a long distance add-on.

A long distance add-on is cheaper if you don't need provice-to-province calling too much, but if this long distance calling is frequent enough then upgrading from Province-wide to Canada-wide might cost less overall.  Remember that Province-wide Talk outside your "home" province cannot receive any calls (from anywhere), which can be inconvenient.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/Province-wide-Canada-wide-and-Long-Dis...

That link no longer works   😉

Amm7bc
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Province wide Details

It would seem receiving calls while out of province can be a problem, however receiving calls from anywhere in Canada while in your home province is included.

timmmmeh

@bryclopswrote:

You can in fact receive calls anywhere in Canada with a province wide plan.  I have done so.

This has not been our experience.

Using Province Wide - calling based in Ontario, travel to Quebec has found the following to be the case:

Texting works just fine.

Data works as expected.

Making Calls - message indicating that it's not included in our service plan.

Receiviong Calls - No Message, or VM indicator, calls just don't come.

To be fair, we don't generally receive many calls.

mimmo

@bryclops yes currently you can receive calls but it is not supposed to work that way.  How long this"feature" will last we don't know. So it is best to advise people how it is supposed to work and how it currently works just in case things changes.

@bryclopswrote:

You can in fact receive calls anywhere in Canada with a province wide plan.  I have done so.

I'll take your word on that - I haven't taken my phone outside of my "home" province, so I don't know firsthand - just going on what was written in these forums.

My above post edited to correct this.

bryclops

@bryclopswrote:

In Ontario I can make calls to anywhere in Ontario but if I go on a trip to Quebec I can only phone Quebec numbers.  Calling an Ontario number from Quebec would require a long distance add-on.

A long distance add-on is cheaper if you don't need provice-to-province calling too much, but if this long distance calling is frequent enough then upgrading from Province-wide to Canada-wide might cost less overall.  Remember that Province-wide Talk outside your "home" province cannot receive any calls (from anywhere), which can be inconvenient.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/Province-wide-Canada-wide-and-Long-Dis...

bryclops

Whichever province you are physically in you can make phone calls to phone numbers in that province no matter what area code you have. 

just a quick clarification for receiving calls:

It never matters for the person answering where the call comes from.  This is the case for all carriers and all voice calling price plans.  But, I'm sure that most here already knew that.

@Totop  Yes, you have the right idea.

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

@Totop You can make calls to anywhere in the Province from anywhere in the Province. If you want to make calls outside of your province, you will need the long distance add-on (200min $8, 400min $15). 

For more info on this, use this article: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/Province-wide-Canada-wide-and-Long-Dis...

PJC
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Totopwrote:

Hi!  does unlimitted province wide talk mean that you can make or receive calls to or from anywhere within the province ?

Yes, that is correct.

Need Help? Let's chat.