cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

plans compare

raykhajehnori
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin
Hi. 

Beside the abvious, I was wondering what the differences are between the following two plans.? the second plan, with the same $fee, seem much more comperihensive. Am I missing anything?

Thanks.

$25 30-days

• UNLIMITED  Talk Province-wide²
  • UNLIMITED International Textand Picture Messaging
  • VOICEMAIL & Call Display

$25 30-days
3G
  • 500 MB Data⁴ at 3G speed
  • + BONUS 500 MB with AutoPay
  • UNLIMITED Talk Canada-wide
16 REPLIES 16

@mimmo wrote:

@srlawren  I was actually suggesting getting rid of the unthrottled ie full LTE plans.  There would probally be less confusion and an easier compariston to the other tier 3 providers.  people who want full LTE go to tier2 and tier1 providers. 

I have to say that this amounts to throwing out the baby with the bath water.  I thought the whole point was to differentiate the "quality" of the data based on speed and offer an option to those willing to pay a bit more for better quality (higher speed) to do so.  This would probably work on some customers.  The problem is the pricing differential is off the chart high.  Arguably, you could do better shopping a plan higher up in the food chain for about the same money or less.  

@srlawren wrote:

@mimmo wrote:

I could not agree more with @srlawren why not make your next prize thread "ways to improve" our 3g offerings. I'm sure we would get many people saying get rid of 3g plans. 

Why not get rid of the unthrottled plans all together? 

Anyways my name suggestion might be LTE@3g.

@mimmo clearly these plans have (as @will13am would say:) "marketing value" to Telus and they're probably not going away any time soon (read: "until Chatr and/or Lucky ditch them).  They do offer a vehicle for PM to offer some excellently priced plans with decent amounts of data, as long as you don't mind the throttled offering, and for many people doing their day to day tasks on the go, the speed is fine.  Would I love to see the 3G plans get discontined and replaced with full-speed LTE plans at the same price?--yes of course.  But as I see that being highly unlikely, and with these plans sure to stay a while yet, I'd sure like to see them get named more clearly.  That's all I'm asking.

+1,000,000!  Only in Canada would you see a contrived effort to try and sell data speed when 5G is coming.  My take away from all this is that the greater the success of selling LTE lite, the less customers are willing to value speed as something they are willing to pay a premium for.  Is this marketing a success or a failure?  

With respect to the LTE lite format vs real 3G, there is a actual performance difference.  When you look at the shopping forums, there is very little uptake for the competition's comparable offerings which does run a real 3G service with no access to the LTE network.  

@mimmo wrote:

@srlawren  I was actually suggesting getting rid of the unthrottled ie full LTE plans.  There would probally be less confusion and an easier compariston to the other tier 3 providers.  people who want full LTE go to tier2 and tier1 providers. 

No wayyyyy! We are hoping for 5G to arrive as early as 2020. If by then we are still looking forward to 3G speed plan, that is like taking a step backwards lol. Just like how 3G is being used for creating brand value, LTE should be like that when 5G arrives. May be then they will just up the throttled speed to like 50mpbs?

Thanks @srlawren for mentioning, otherwise i wouldn't have seen this lol

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@mimmo wrote:

@mimmo interesting.  Don't let @NDesai hear you suggesting that!  🙂

Well, that would simplify things for sure, though I suspect it would be an unpopular move.  Then again, it would be interesting to see activation and plan change trends for the past 6-12 months; I'm betting the majority are choosing "3G" plans these days due to the plethora of promo plans we've seen in recent history.  So maybe killing off the unthrottled plans wouldn't be "so bad", really. Interesting idea.  It would as you say definitely help delineate that line between the 2nd and 3rd brand tiers....

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

I’m with @srlawren and @mimmo  on the renaming.  It’s misunderstood by so many.  

mimmo

srlawren

@mimmo wrote:

I could not agree more with @srlawren why not make your next prize thread "ways to improve" our 3g offerings. I'm sure we would get many people saying get rid of 3g plans. 

@mimmo clearly these plans have (as @will13am would say:) "marketing value" to Telus and they're probably not going away any time soon (read: "until Chatr and/or Lucky ditch them).  They do offer a vehicle for PM to offer some excellently priced plans with decent amounts of data, as long as you don't mind the throttled offering, and for many people doing their day to day tasks on the go, the speed is fine.  Would I love to see the 3G plans get discontined and replaced with full-speed LTE plans at the same price?--yes of course.  But as I see that being highly unlikely, and with these plans sure to stay a while yet, I'd sure like to see them get named more clearly.  That's all I'm asking.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

mimmo

srlawren

@raykhajehnori wrote:

Hi, and thanks for your reply. I'm not yet a customer. I am however trying to understand the differences between different plans and what that means to have a 3G $25 plan, beside the data download speed.

- i.e.  I would like to know whether the 3G Phone network coverage(assuming this plan is only connecting through 3G network) is sufficient in all the area's of lower main land?  I know it is Telus network but, I'm making sure. 

Alright, I know I'm just beating my head against the wall at this point, but @Alan_K @Brooke_C @Dave_M your "3G" data plans continue to cause confusion to your potential and new customers.  Calling it 3G continues to make people think the service is based on your 3G HSPA+ network, when in fact it's actually throttled 4G LTE with fallback to HSPA+.  Please, please, please consider renaming your "3G" data options to something less confusing like "LTE Lite" or "LTE Basic Speed" vs "LTE Full Speed" or really literally anything other than using the misleading name of a different network generation than the one actually being used to deliver the service.  To my mind, what you're currently doing is putting a top speed limiter on a Ferrari and naming it a Mazda, when in fact it's actually a Ferrari that isn't allowed to drive faster than a Yugo or Hyundai Pony.  

Pizzaeh
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@raykhajehnori wrote:

Hi, and thanks for your reply. I'm not yet a customer. I am however trying to understand the differences between different plans and what that means to have a 3G $25 plan, beside the data download speed.

- i.e.  I would like to know whether the 3G Phone network coverage(assuming this plan is only connecting through 3G network) is sufficient in all the area's of lower main land?  I know it is Telus network but, I'm making sure. 

Also unlimited Canada wide talk ,

- I like to understand in further detail, i.e. under what cercumstance additional charges will occur, if any? does this included receiving AND placing a call from any where in Canada?

- Is receiving international calls is free?

- If I wnted to port my current number to Public mobile, how long would that take?

Appreciate if answer to these questions is provided.

Thanks..    

@raykhajehnori there would be no additional charges; Public Mobile does not have pay per use charges.  If it's not included in your plan, it won't work.  While you're in Canada, you can receive a call from anywhere and make a call to anywhere in Canada.

Porting a cellphone number in to Public Mobile from another carrier usually takes a few hours.  If it's a Koodo prepaid line you must contact the moderators.  Land lines take up to a week to port.

raykhajehnori
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Also unlimited Canada wide talk ,

- I like to understand in further detail, i.e. under what cercumstance additional charges will occur, if any? does this included receiving AND placing a call from any where in Canada?

- Is receiving international calls is free?

- If I wnted to port my current number to Public mobile, how long would that take?

Appreciate if answer to these questions is provided.

Thanks..    

@will13am wrote:

@NDesai wrote:

@raykhajehnori  Yes, the new plan they introduced a couple of weeks ago offers 1GB data on top of what you have for the same price. You should make the change in your self-serve account and have it changed during your next renewal day (futuredate) instead of changing it now. 

Don't forget the upgrade from province wide calling to Canada wide calling.  Smiley Happy

Already futuredated, due in May 🙂

@NDesai wrote:

@raykhajehnori  Yes, the new plan they introduced a couple of weeks ago offers 1GB data on top of what you have for the same price. You should make the change in your self-serve account and have it changed during your next renewal day (futuredate) instead of changing it now. 

Don't forget the upgrade from province wide calling to Canada wide calling.  Smiley Happy

jotsang
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@raykhajehnori wrote:
Hi. 

Beside the abvious, I was wondering what the differences are between the following two plans.? the second plan, with the same $fee, seem much more comperihensive. Am I missing anything?

Thanks.

$25 30-days

$25 30-days
3G

Second plan is newly introduced to stay competitive with other service providers. Definitely go with this new plan. Like you said, pay same price and get more features in return.

Pizzaeh
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@raykhajehnori wrote:
Hi. 

Thanks.

$25 30-days

$25 30-days
3G

As @NDesai pointed out, it's a new plan that is much better than the first plan.  Get more for the same price, crazy right?  If it has what you need, take it.  

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

Need Help? Let's chat.