cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

need to change new plan from 4G LTE to 3 G

DarcyLimpert
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

When I signed up for my new plan I put got 4G LTE compatible but my phone only does 3G.  How do I change to 3G without incuring more charges?

7 REPLIES 7

funpig
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Darcy

Which plan did you buy?  If it works, you do not need to change unless you can buy something for the same performance (speed and amount of data) at a lower price. And if you do change, it is better to do it at renewal and not lose what you have already paid for.

And having said that, keep in mind that "3G" in Public Mobile is actually 4G LTE that has been throttled or slowed down to 3mbps speed.  PM transmits and receives at different frequencies and phones usually have multiple radios built in to make use of the available frequencies.  So if it works you can leave it alone, unless you can find a cheaper plan with the same amount of data that you need.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@torontokris wrote:

@@DarcyLimpert stay with LTE plan in case you need it in the future. PM is not offering many good LTE plans anymore so keep i

You will not be charged extra for 3G usage and if you upgrade your phone in the bar future you will have access to the super fast LTE network without throttling.

@torontokris this would only be good advice if the OP was on an LTE promo plan of some kind, bu those haven't been offered for quite some time and it sounds like the OP is a more recent customer.  If they're on a current in-market LTE plan and phone is only HSPA+ capable, they are throwing money away every 30 days since there are many good ready-made 3G-speed plans and the LTE plans are relatively more expensive.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

torontokris
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@DarcyLimpert wrote:

When I signed up for my new plan I put got 4G LTE compatible but my phone only does 3G.  How do I change to 3G without incuring more charges?

@@DarcyLimpert stay with LTE plan in case you need it in the future. PM is not offering many good LTE plans anymore so keep i

You will not be charged extra for 3G usage and if you upgrade your phone in the bar future you will have access to the super fast LTE network without throttling.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@DarcyLimpert wrote:

If you log into My Account then look for My Plan, you'll see the Change Plan button. Click it for a menu of plan options. Look further down to select Change Now or Change at Renewal. If you change now, you'll forfeit whatever balance is remaining on your current plan. If you select change at renewal, it'll change to the new plan on your next renewal date. You won't be charged $$ until renewal date.

Good luck.

JackQuint
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Your phone will connect at 3G even if you have an LTE plan. If you're wanting to switch because you're paying more for LTE you're not using, then do it at renewal time to avoid losing what you've paid for so far.

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@DarcyLimpert 

Which plan did you choose?  Which phone do you have?  Does your phone/plan presently work?  If your phone has 3G only, you should still be able to access 3G bands in your PM plan.

You could switch to a  3G plan, either at next renewal (recommended) or immediately (you will lose whatever is remaining in your plan).

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@DarcyLimpert wrote:

PM is prepaid, you will get the services of whatever plan you have signed up for, there will be no extra charges and your phone settings will not affect that.

Need Help? Let's chat.