cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

moving from another carrier and keeping the same phone number

Keithch
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi,

i'm planning to move from a rogers line into public mobile and I'm thinking of the $10 per month plan. Am I able to keep the same number ?

thanks,

K

6 REPLIES 6

dna2016
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Keithch, when your number successfully ports over, you won;t need to contact Rogers to cancel.  The service automatically cancels from their end.  You can call to confirm but technically you don;t need to contact your prior provider at any point in time.  Any charges they make after the fact will be refunded back to you.

Keithch
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Thank you all for the very useful advice. I'll walk over to one of the walmart or koodoo outlets this Saturday and buy and activate the new Public mobile sim card. I didn't know they sold the sim cards there, so this great. I can do it while on my grocery shopping this weekend. I guess after porting the number from  Rogers and confirmed working, I'll cancel the rogers service . I got about a week left before they start billing me.

But yes thank you on the advice on total talk time - good to know - over the last several months , I only use the phone for texting, but I guess if in the future I need to talk  on the phone, I can upgrade later.

dna2016
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Keithch, as everyone has already mentioned, yes you can keep your number by doing a port activation.  Just remember your current Rogers plan needs to be active and in good standing (i.e. not suspended/cancelled), and the port is completed through the PM side so you do not need to inform Rogers of this.  The port itself can take anywhere from 10 minutes to 2 days to complete.  I mentioned 2 days because there are rare occasions where a delayed glitch can occur and you may need support from the MODS.   My port took about 30 minutes.

But you mentioned you are planning on going on the $10 plan.  Please ensure you review what this plan offers in detail as many switch to the $10 plan and then get mad because they didn't realize that the 50 minutes includes outgoing AND incoming calls, also if someone leaves a lengthy voicemail it will also eat away at your 50 minutes.  Also, this is a prepaid format, so if you use up your 50 minutes you won't be able to make or receive ANY calls for the remainder of that 30 day cycle, unless you purchase an add-on (i.e. $8 Canada/US Long Distance for example).  

Unfortunately a lot of people jump on the $10 plan thinking they had more and are very disappointed how quickly this gets exhausted before the cycle is up.  Highly recommend you review your usage on your Rogers invoice and see if on average you use 50 minutes in voice calls per month and 50 outgoing texts per month.  Just don;t set yourself up for any headaches because the price was low, really review whether or not this plan is right for you based on your current usage.

cin7
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle
@Keithch

Welcome to PM!

Don't forget to take advantage of the $2 discount for adding your credit card and activating auto-pay.

Once the port is successful, you can expect to receive a text message informing you.

Good luck!

@Keithch wrote:

Hi,

i'm planning to move from a rogers line into public mobile and I'm thinking of the $10 per month plan. Am I able to keep the same number ?

thanks,

K

Yes, of course you can.  Be sure to keep your Rogers phone number active.  It needs to be active at the time of the request.  The $10 plan includes 50 Canada-wide minutes and 50 text messages. 

If you have been refered by someone, telling the activation system the number of your referal wil earn that person $1 per 30 days as a discount, and it will also get you a one-time $10 account credit.

Sim cards for Public Mobile can be ordered online from https://store.publicmobile.ca/cart or you can activate in-store and select retail locations such as Walmart, K-Mobile, Wow Mobile, London Drugs, and some Koodo dealers.

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@Keithch

Yes, you can port (transfer) your number from Rogers.  

Generally, it is a good idea to activate your Public mobile with a temporary new number.  Then via self service account, you can port your number from Rogers.  It usually takes up to 1-2 hours for the porting/transfer to take place.  

Need Help? Let's chat.