cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

long distance charges

Amy1076
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

My phone is in Kamloops but calling it is long distance to Kelowna.  How do I get my phone to become local?

5 REPLIES 5

@Amy1076 

When you choose the "change number" option in selfserve, and you're looking at the list of cities when changing number, look for "BC-SOUTHKAMLOOPS".

It's not immediately obvious when sorted alphabetically... 😁

@Amy1076 

Are you trying to use your cell phone to call from Kamloops to Kelowna, or are you concerned about someone trying to call you from Kelowna?

For your outgoing calls on your Kamloops cell phone, the city of your phone number makes no difference. Having a cell phone number from anywhere in Canada on a cell phone would be the same.

If the issue is that people in Kelowna can't call your Kamloops number without it being long distance, you may want to change your Kamloops cell phone number to something that is local to Kelowna. Keep in mind that by doing this, it could make calling you long distance for some other people.

@Amy1076 if you would like Landlines in Kelowna  to call you without having long distance charges. Then change it to a Kelowna exchange. And vice versa if for Kamloops. Stay safe. 

Amy1076
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I think I see.  What I'll need to do is change it to a kamloops exchange.  Thank you 🙂

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@Amy1076 Its the second set of numbers that determine whether your number is local or not. Ie xxx yyy xxxx. Please check the CNAC website http://www.cnac.ca/co_codes/co_code_status.htm . To make your number local so that people may call you without long distance charges, you have to look for the second set of number local to Kelowna. If you are on one of the new Canada wide plans, you can just add a 1 in front of you numbers when dialing and to your  contacts. You can change your number to the desired local area code once each 30 day cycle through your self service account. Welcome to the community.  Stay safe. 

The Telus or Telus mobility ones try to get them. See below

20200612_153422.jpg

Need Help? Let's chat.