cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

its 30 bucks to add one gig of data?

CMOADMIN
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

are you fudging kidding me???? 30 bucks to add one gig? what the F U D G E is that bullshark? that is insane.

anyone else remember when internet was frickin 14.99 to connect and no limits?

y'all are killin meh

20 REPLIES 20

Korth
Mayor / Maire

@DOA wrote:

If someone sells them a plan that provides them 5 times more data than they use, that's the very definition of a rip-off.

I used about 50MB cellular data last cycle and about 25MB cellular data (so far) this cycle ... already downgraded plan to $25, just downgraded further to $15 ... never activated AutoPay this account but they give me that bonus data anyways ... and I've got a happy little collection of free add-ons which add even more data.

So I get five or ten times or twenty times more data than I'll actually use and already have the cheapest plan available, with a pile of gifts and perks just collecting dusf. The very definition of a rip-off!

I REALLY love the fact that there is no unintentionally exceeeding any limits here at PM. Works real well for me....

AE_Collector

@DOA wrote:

This is actually a very good deal when used as it should.

Because this 1GB never expires, it's great for people who rarely use data, or have small data plans and want an emergency cache if they run out some months.

Over 1 year, the cost of this insurance is $2.50 per month.

I'll tell you who is getting ripped off.  People who pay big bucks for, say, 8 GB of data each month and just use a fraction of it.

This.

Plus, unless things changed drastically since I last checked, overage charges at most postpaid providers are $10/100MB... That is $100/GB (ish). 

Thinking about it, those overage charges might play into that over buying reflex that some people cave to... Providers' mission accomplished, I guess.

Edit: Upon reflection I realize that there's a chance that I'm feeding a troll (op) here. Sorry.

Me too...or at least "crazy".

I get "up in arms" about the term Rip Off being used to describe things that could easily really be someone "ripping themselves off" with their actions.

AE_Collector

Anonymous
Not applicable

@DOA wrote:

I'll tell you who is getting ripped off what's insane.  People who pay big bucks for, say, 8 GB of data each month and just use a fraction of it.

Works for me 🙂

DOA
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@AE_Collector wrote:

@DOA 

Admittedly I am not a fan of the term Rip Off. To me it implies malicious behaviour but frequently is used to describe what should really be just called an "uneconomical plan". Is the current PM $35 plan a Rip Off? I would never describe it as that but for most it is an uneconomical plan compared to the other plans.

Just my incoherent ramblings.....

AE_Collector

Rather than "rip-off," I should have used the OP's term "insane," but I messed up.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@DOA wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@DOA wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@DOA wrote:

I'll tell you who is getting ripped off.  People who pay big bucks for, say, 8 GB of data each month and just use a fraction of it.

People have the freedom to spend their money however they choose. I agree that's wasteful. But they're not being ripped off. They chose it.

The prices of products are a different matter. But there are those that don't care. What's that saying - I'll take one with everything.

Most people don't know how to check how much data they use. (Although people who use the lower tier providers like PM probably have a better idea; that's why they're here.)

If someone sells them a plan that provides them 5 times more data than they use, that's the very definition of a rip-off.

But. The. Customer. Chose. To. Take it. Being required to pay activation fees or more than the proper amount for a SIM or taking referral rewards rather than the one provided...all rip-offs.

Do we all need pickups and Suburbans to run errands and get groceries? No. Were they ripped-off? No. They chose the car.

Sort of getting way off track here with SUVs.

My answer is in reference to the origin poster who claims paying $30 for 1GB of rollover data is insane.  My answer should be viewed in that context.

As you wish. You took it to the 8gb plan. I was just giving a comparison.

@DOA 

Not certain I agree that getting a plan with 5 times the data they need is "the definition of a Rip Off".  Yes, if the "salesperson" had all the info and upsold them to the tune of 5 times their required amount of data then they misled the customer which might be called ripping them off. But quite likely the customer really had no idea how much they needed and provided the sales person with no past history.

The sales person may have said something like: "you might get by on 1Gb if you are careful and get in Wi-Fi where available but currently Public Mobiles 5Gb plan is an exceptional deal plus you will score $10/30 day credits for 8 months on the $40 plan instead of just $5/30 days. So why not try the $40 plan, monitor your usage for 2-3 months and you can then change plans down if advantageous to you".

Likely the customer was in information overload leaving the store and never checked anything going forward. So IMHO that isn't being ripped off, the salesperson made good recommendations based on the info they had and the customer didn't follow up on their part. I don't think there is anything extra in it for anyone to up sell PM plans so don't see how anyone could be attempting to rip a customer off. 

Admittedly I am not a fan of the term Rip Off. To me it implies malicious behaviour but frequently is used to describe what should really be just called an "uneconomical plan". Is the current PM $35 plan a Rip Off? I would never describe it as that but for most it is an uneconomical plan compared to the other plans.

Just my incoherent ramblings.....

AE_Collector

DOA

@Anonymous wrote:

@DOA wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@DOA wrote:

People have the freedom to spend their money however they choose. I agree that's wasteful. But they're not being ripped off. They chose it.

The prices of products are a different matter. But there are those that don't care. What's that saying - I'll take one with everything.

Most people don't know how to check how much data they use. (Although people who use the lower tier providers like PM probably have a better idea; that's why they're here.)

But. The. Customer. Chose. To. Take it. Being required to pay activation fees or more than the proper amount for a SIM or taking referral rewards rather than the one provided...all rip-offs.

Do we all need pickups and Suburbans to run errands and get groceries? No. Were they ripped-off? No. They chose the car.

Sort of getting way off track here with SUVs.

My answer is in reference to the origin poster who claims paying $30 for 1GB of rollover data is insane.  My answer should be viewed in that context.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@DOA wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@DOA wrote:

DOA

@Anonymous wrote:

@DOA wrote:

Anonymous
Not applicable

@DOA wrote:

DOA

This is actually a very good deal when used as it should.

Because this 1GB never expires, it's great for people who rarely use data, or have small data plans and want an emergency cache if they run out some months.

Over 1 year, the cost of this insurance is $2.50 per month.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Not every retailer offers the best price for everything.  Some retailers offer everyday low pricing which is supposed to yield descent overall value where no one item is the best price.  I have learned the art of targeted shopping where practical.  I don't care how much the 1GB data costs, I am here for what is good value only.  Through this strategy, I am paying $10/4GB of expiring data for use in SIM slot 2.  Break even is every 3 months.  If I use on average more than 333 Mbytes, I come out ahead.  If I use less than I should actually buy the apparently overpriced non expiring add-on.  I do use enough to make what I am doing worthwhile.

AE_Collector
Mayor / Maire

@CMOADMIN wrote:

anyone else remember when internet was frickin 14.99 to connect and no limits?

Actually, no I don't recall that!

Again, my "Do your Homework before making a move" comment is needed. But, there are much better ways around the need for more data here since you can jump back and forth between plans whenever and/or Renew early to restart your monthly data allowance. Buying a data add-on is the last way to solve a data shortage here. 

AE_Collector

Tony_Xu
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Yes, I totally agree with you, 30$ for extra 1 G data is too expensive. The easy way to go would be to change the plan, e.g:$50 plan gives 8GB data, +500MB with AutoPay. If that's still not enough, maybe it's better to simply add a line instead of purchasing extra data.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@CMOADMIN  Most people just renew their plan early or change to a plan with more data. Yes, that add-on is expensive but keep in mind that it never expires until all used up so it's ideal to be used as backup for a customer with low data usage requirements.

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

I do @CMOADMIN and then Rogers and Bell copied Europe and their tier package system. The one thing they failed to get right were the lower prices.

mpcdesign
Mayor / Maire

What was the main reason for leaving other companies to come to Public Mobile anyways? Was it to save some money for food, diapers, gas or even shelter? Or was it to get away from the lengthy-term contracts or over-priced tabs, or worse yet, phantom fees on your bill? 

For some reason, you came to Public Mobile? Why?

Yes, maybe the add-ons are over-priced. According to your previous posts, it seems you are a Rogers client, why did you leave Rogers to come to Public Mobile. And that you were having second thoughts. The one thing about Public Mobile, if you leave, there is no cancellation fee.

Leave and go back to Rogers, and pay that long term contract or lousy plan. Over a million clients who wanted to set up a pre-authorized payment and get discounts as well for referral and loyalty credits, our monthly price was below what we would normally pay. We are happy here as you can see and read in the forum, maybe Public Mobile isn't for you. We won't judge you, it is what it is. Especially, if you live in a rural area, I totally get it. 

Korth
Mayor / Maire

Yes, 1GB data add-on is $30, and better value compared vs the $10 200MB data add-on.

The $40 plan gives 4.5GB data, the $50 plan gives 8GB data, both give +500MB after successful AutoPay.

You can force your plan to renew early, effectively resetting data on a new billing cycle. But Loyalty Reward and AutoPay Reward (along with AutoPay bonus data) won't be applied to the interrupted billing cycle.

If you want more data at better rates then you've gotta get it somewhere else. WiFi hotspots. Home internet. Another provider.

PM sometimes gives out free GB data add-ons. As gifts, as prizes. They might do it again, they might not. Don't expect the freebies to sustain heavy data habits.

I agree that Public Mobile's data add-ons are glaringly overpriced. It's been the same lousy price for years while people have complained, I've realized that PM's price for this component in PM's overall pricing structure is very deliberate.

Need Help? Let's chat.