cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

is internet access charged on $10 - 30 day plan ?

spacecadet
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Suppose wifi is disabled and cellular data is enabled in my settings.  Since the $10 - 30 day plan does not include data, would I get charged extra on my next bill if for example I inadvertently clicked on Google or Chrome ? Or would I get some kind of notification about no Internet access ?  I am just to chicken and cheap to try.  Ant reply welcome.

11 REPLIES 11

chukdefatey
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@spacecadet wrote:

Suppose wifi is disabled and cellular data is enabled in my settings.  Since the $10 - 30 day plan does not include data, would I get charged extra on my next bill if for example I inadvertently clicked on Google or Chrome ? Or would I get some kind of notification about no Internet access ?  I am just to chicken and cheap to try.  Ant reply welcome.

Public Mobile and Lucky Mobile are Pay Before Cell phone service provider. So if something is not included in your Plan or an add on it simply just doesn't work. No Surprises whatsoever.  However A lot of other Prepaid providers including Telus can use your Prepaid Paid Balance to bill you for internet, pay per use charges etc. 

@saeliux wrote:

No extra charges because PM is prepaid. If you havent prepaid you can't use.

The concept of getting charged for stuff as a surprise is a postpaid idea.

I have been in prepaid plans for years, and forgot to tell dad to take SIM out of the phone when travelling. He got a surprise charge if $48 for accidental 4MB!! for doing absolutely nothing. Good thing he switched SIM within few minutes or I would have gotten a heart attack. 

This is one of the many advantages of prepaid. 

It continues to amaze me that despite an overhaul of the Wireless Code in 2017 in order to reign in Canadian telecom companies to prevent bill shock and unscrupulous fees, overage charges and customer penalizing contracts that providers continue to flaunt the regulations and put the onus on the customer to understand the code in detail in order to not be hoodwinked by their own provider.

saeliux
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

No extra charges because PM is prepaid. If you havent prepaid you can't use.

The concept of getting charged for stuff as a surprise is a postpaid idea.

I have been in prepaid plans for years, and forgot to tell dad to take SIM out of the phone when travelling. He got a surprise charge if $48 for accidental 4MB!! for doing absolutely nothing. Good thing he switched SIM within few minutes or I would have gotten a heart attack. 

This is one of the many advantages of prepaid. 

@srlawren wrote:

@spacecadet wrote:

I appreciate so much the fast responses. What a relief to find out there are no nasty surprises with this provider.  Take care to all.

@spacecadet this is the beauty of pre-paid services!

P.S., Ants have trouble typing, so I'm glad some humans were able to help you Robot LOL

@spacecadet wrote:

Ant reply welcome.

Those dang ants take over my keyboard all the time. Anyone have an explanation or solution for that?

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@spacecadet wrote:

I appreciate so much the fast responses. What a relief to find out there are no nasty surprises with this provider.  Take care to all.

@spacecadet this is the beauty of pre-paid services!

P.S., Ants have trouble typing, so I'm glad some humans were able to help you Robot LOL

@spacecadet wrote:

Ant reply welcome.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

spacecadet
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@spacecadet  The rule to always remember with Public is that if you haven't prepaid for a service and it works then you will never get charged extra for it. So if you are on the $10 plan and data works then enjoy it. 👍

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@spacecadet wrote:

For an extra $5, you might want to consider the $15 / 30 day plan. You'll then have unlimited Canada and International texts, 100mins of calling instead of just 50mins....as well you'll get a bit of data to try out. If the data does run out within the 30 days...it just stops. You won't be charged for any overages or anything. If you need additional talk time...you can get the 500mins add-on for just $5. Those minutes don't expire...they just keep rolling over until you use them up even if it takes a couple years, as long as your plan stays active.

"Too cheap", you say....well you've come to the right place. Welcome aboard !!

sunflowershine
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@spacecadet No. You won't be able to go online via data. Your cell phone plan will provide service for what you paid for. 

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

@spacecadetData just won't work unless you purchase extra data bucket (which by the way would be at full 4G LTE speed)

Anonymous
Not applicable

@spacecadet wrote:

No extra charges. In fact, you need to turn on data for MMS and it doesn't count or charge anything. SImply...no extra charges here. A web page just won't open. You'll get an internal page from here saying you can't get there from here.

Need Help? Let's chat.