cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

international texting

flora1718
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

i will be traveling to italy and i need to get international texting for 1 week. on the add-on page, there is international texting but i dont know if its just for the usa? 

also is it $8 for the whole week?

34 REPLIES 34

surreyboz
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Anonymous wrote:

@surreyboz wrote:

@Greg1275 wrote:

Oh? So anywhere outside of Canada would be roaming then?

Lets say you are from Australia and you travel to Canada with your Australian Phone, since you are now no longer connected to the Australian Provider you signed up with that means Roaming. So in Plain English when you are not connected to the Service Provider you signed up with you are Roaming 

Providers need to set up agreements with other providers to allow their customers to operate on the other providers infrastructure. Bell & Telus do in one way but in the background. Not overtly roaming but technically they are. Public Mobile and AT&T/T-Mobile have agreements. That's roaming.

Other than that, there are no other agreements for any other provider for PM customers.

So that Australian brings their phone here and turns it on. Maybe no agreements exist. Towers here will say "who the heck are you? get lost. I know you're there but I'm just going to ignore your existence." That's not roaming.

Well obviously a Roaming agreement has to be in Place.  I was just pointing out the fact to the user the difference between International calling /texting versus Roaming. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@surreyboz wrote:

@Greg1275 wrote:

Lets say you are from Australia and you travel to Canada with your Australian Phone, since you are now no longer connected to the Australian Provider you signed up with that means Roaming. So in Plain English when you are not connected to the Service Provider you signed up with you are Roaming 

Providers need to set up agreements with other providers to allow their customers to operate on the other providers infrastructure. Bell & Telus do in one way but in the background. Not overtly roaming but technically they are. Public Mobile and AT&T/T-Mobile have agreements. That's roaming.

Other than that, there are no other agreements for any other provider for PM customers.

So that Australian brings their phone here and turns it on. Maybe no agreements exist. Towers here will say "who the heck are you? get lost. I know you're there but I'm just going to ignore your existence." That's not roaming.

surreyboz

@Greg1275 wrote:

Greg1275
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

surreyboz

@Greg1275 wrote:

My apologies everybody. I just have some personal issues going on today and I was a little ticked off there earlier. I realize I was being pretty dang rude and I am sincerely sorry. I realize now that I was wrong about this topic, I was not very informed about the roaming thing and all that. I had just assumed that international was international and did not realize that it actually only applies within Canada. Thank you guys for correcting me. And sorry once again for my rude remarks. I’m not gonna post anymore while I’m mad.

No need for an apology. Having said that Roaming is not just a Canadian thing. The word Roaming is used by all Cell Phone Providers around the Globe. When you are connected to another Provider network that means Roaming.  

Greg1275

My apologies everybody. I just have some personal issues going on today and I was a little ticked off there earlier. I realize I was being pretty dang rude and I am sincerely sorry. I realize now that I was wrong about this topic, I was not very informed about the roaming thing and all that. I had just assumed that international was international and did not realize that it actually only applies within Canada. Thank you guys for correcting me. And sorry once again for my rude remarks. I’m not gonna post anymore while I’m mad.

surreyboz

@Greg1275 wrote:

In case you guys are confused. The question was about TEXTING from Italy. I’m not saying anything about international calling or data nothing like that. All I am saying is that most Public Mobile plans have “Unlimited International Texting” therefor you should not need to purchase anything to be able to send and receive text messages anywhere in the world as long as you are connected to a cell tower. 

It seems like you are a Fairly young and this is your first Cell Phone Plan. International and or Global Texting doest mean Roaming. In the cell phone world when you are connected to another Providers network is called Roaming, so any services that are part of your plan are not covered when Roaming. 

@Greg1275 wrote:

You are dull. If that were the case they would call it “country wide text” not flippin “international”. Do me a favour and look up the definition for INTERNATIONAL.

No need for name calling. Country wide texting would mean only able to text Canadian numbers.  Wow I really have to bite my tongue trying to respond to your rude and uninformed comments. PM services are only good while you are located in Canada it you are in the US and have a roaming package. Outside of that you will not have any service through PM even if you are standing next to a cell tower

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@Greg1275 wrote:

You are dull. If that were the case they would call it “country wide text” not flippin “international”. Do me a favour and look up the definition for INTERNATIONAL.

Sorry, but there is a difference between 'roaming' and being able to send texts internationally. However, you're welcome to believe whatever you like.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Greg1275 wrote:

In case you guys are confused. The question was about TEXTING from Italy. I’m not saying anything about international calling or data nothing like that. All I am saying is that most Public Mobile plans have “Unlimited International Texting” therefor you should not need to purchase anything to be able to send and receive text messages anywhere in the world as long as you are connected to a cell tower. 

The OP is well understood and well answered.

It is you who are confused. Other than offering an opinion of what it means...it just doesn't work that way. All Public Mobile services work while IN Canada.

Yes the definition has come up before. It simply means that you can text TO anywhere while IN Canada.

(or roaming add-ons in the US)

@Greg1275 wrote:

International texting is international texting, meaning anywhere in the world. Most plans come with “Unlimited International Texting”

as long as your phone is connected to a cell tower, it should be free world wide. Or am I just whacked? Lol

Sure, as long as you aren't roaming 

I'm not debating about how it's being advertised, and am just saying that this service is only included while you are in Canada.

Greg1275

Post Deleted

@Greg1275 wrote:

The international texting means you can text anywhere globally while you are in Canada.

Edit: The OP will not be able to use PM texting from Italy or any other country outside of Canada.  You can purchase a roaming add-on for texting, calling or data while going to the US only with PM service.

Greg1275

Texting, not calling.

Greg1275

Post Deleted

@Greg1275 wrote:

Shouldn’t need any ad on in Britain

PM doesn't provide any roaming services outside of US, so when in any other country, as already mentioned, a PM user would need either a local sim or rely upon an app service via wifi.

Greg1275

Shouldn’t need any ad on in Britain

There is only roaming in the US.  You would need a local sim or gigsky sim to use in the UK.  If you have wi-fi access to use apps like Fongo, Textnow, or Skype.

cshank
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

So what do we do when we go to Britain?  Is it the same as the American add ons?

Greg1275

So you’re saying that this “unlimited international texting” option only applies to Canada??? That the stupidest thing I’ve heard. The United States is the only exception, you must buy roaming package to text without extra charge in the US. But everywhere else in the world should be free.

Greg1275

Yes you guys are right I copied it from below that $15 calling option. My point is that it says “international countries include”

my point is that international text messaging would include all the countries listed there. We’re takikng about “INTERNATIONAL TEXT MESSAGING” MEANING GLOBAL!

surreyboz

@Greg1275 wrote:

International countries include: Canada, China, France, Germany, Hong Kong, India, Italy, South Korea, Malaysia, Mexico, Poland, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Singapore, Spain, Thailand, United Kingdom, United States, and Venezuela.

Those are international countries where you can make calls to while in Canada with the $15 add on of 400 minutes 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Greg1275 wrote:

International texting is international texting, meaning anywhere in the world. Most plans come with “Unlimited International Texting”

as long as your phone is connected to a cell tower, it should be free world wide. Or am I just whacked? Lol

You are whacked 🙂 Those countries are the 400 minute add-on and all services of Public Mobile are for while in Canada. Roaming add-ons are only for the states.

Greg1275

Than why is it called “unlimited international texting”?

surreyboz

@Greg1275 wrote:

Yep Definitely Whacked. Public Mobile is a Canadian Service Provider that Provides services in Canada.  

Greg1275

International countries include: Canada, China, France, Germany, Hong Kong, India, Italy, South Korea, Malaysia, Mexico, Poland, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Singapore, Spain, Thailand, United Kingdom, United States, and Venezuela.

Greg1275

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@RossN wrote:

@dabr yea thats why I deleted it so quickly lol

Yes sorry, saw the delete after I posted:)

RossN
Mayor / Maire

@dabr yea thats why I deleted it so quickly lol

dna2016
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@flora1718 Public Mobile does not offer roaming packages outside of North America.  The international option you're referring to is only used for when you're in Canada making calls/texts to those areas.  Since you'll be actually going to Italy you'll need to get a SIM/service from a company out there for the week. 

I suggest you just check with a company as soon as you get out of the plane (within the Italy airport).  Major companies out there are Vodafone and TIM (Telecom Italia Mobile).  Cell service out there is pretty inexpensive so you'll definitely be able to get much more than just texting for a good price.  Unfortunately PM can't help with travels outside of North America.  

Need Help? Let's chat.