cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

international plans

16victoriaevans
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

hi there, I am moving to Europe for a few months but want to keep my phone number. is that possible? Do you have international plans for roaming?

13 REPLIES 13

@16victoriaevans 

You can recieve 2FA codes via a phone call vs text message. This gives you two options to recieve them. You can keep your sim card/plan active and call forward your pm number to your fongo number before you leave then remove the sim card  and leave it somewhere safe in Canada. Fongo works on both wifi and mobile data. Once you have a local sim card you will be able to stay connected to your pm phone number

Alternatively you can suspend your service via lost/stolen in your account before midnight eastern on or before the evening before your renewal. This will keep your voicemail active. You could then call your voicemail from another phone number (ie. your fongo number) and press * when it connects and enter your 4 digit voicemail pin #. You can then retrieve voicemail messages and verification codes.

i wouldn't bet on Fongo's SMS.. while it can receive SMS and some short code SMS.. it does not receive all those, esp from Banking for 2FA.. it might not might not work.. in other words.. not reliable at all.

So, i guess for OP, this might not be a good choice unless OP can switch to using  Authenticator app as your 2FA rather than SMS.

BlueB
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@softech Would porting to Fongo help with the 2FA texts the @16victoriaevans gets?  I think that was a big part of why there's a need to keep the number active/roaming.

If loyalty and plans aren't an issue, I would suggest @16victoriaevans porting the number to the TextNow app to still receive SMS messages (in Europe), then port the number back when returning to Canada.

@16victoriaevans  how long you will be away from Canada?

If it is long enough, maybe it worth to consider porting to Fongo first for $25 one time charge.  You can then port it back to PM when you are back in Canada.    As long as you stay with Fongo for 90 days,  it is free to port out

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@16victoriaevans wrote:

hi there, I am moving to Europe for a few months but want to keep my phone number. is that possible? Do you have international plans for roaming?

@16victoriaevans 

If you are planning to come back, and want to keep your phone number, then maybe you can

• renew the cheapest $15 plan on an ongoing basis,
  • OR let it suspend (after 90 days in suspend status you lose your phone number and account...so you must make a payment within that time to keep the number alive),
  • OR place your account into lost/stolen status (no more than 90 days)

But if you are not coming back, I do not see any reason to keep this number active as you cannot use your Public Mobile plan outside of North America.

Unless you have someone in Canada that can manage your phone number on your behalf.

All Tier 3 providers do not have great roaming option.  In fact we are lucky PM offers US roaming, I think Lucky does not even have this (Lucky customers are not as lucky as us  🙂  ) 

For Europe, it's definitely cheaper to get a local SIM for data and calls.

I understand you would like to keep the service in Europe for 2FA, you might have to see if your services have other 2FA option , like Authenticator app instead of SMS.   In fact, using Authenticator app is safer than SMS , too

Anonymous
Not applicable

@16victoriaevans : You're not the first person to ask that. All Public Mobile services work only while in Canada. Inbound texting works in the US. Other services in the US require roaming add-ons. Otherwise...nowhere else.

16victoriaevans

the reason I want to keep the number available to me overseas is because of the apps and programs that send verification codes to my cell number. will I still be able to receive text messages internationally as it mentions in this package for the $15 plan?

PM.png

"International Text and Picture Messaging"

16victoriaevans

the reason I want to keep the number available to me overseas is because of the apps and programs that send verification codes to my cell number. will I still be able to receive text messages internationally as it mentions in this package for the $15 plan?

PM.png

"International Text and Picture Messaging"

BlueB
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@16victoriaevans 

As others have said, the only roaming package available is to the US.  However, here's a creative idea if you're a bit more tech savvy...

Get a local SIM when you get to Europe - it's cheaper and they're quite accessible, whether at the airport or elsewhere.  Then, you can set up a VoIP account and forward your Public Mobile number there and still receive calls (albeit over VoIP data) when you're in Europe.  🙂

@16victoriaevans 

Public mobile does not offer international roaming except for the United states (10 day roaming packages).  Best to buy a domestic SIM card/package when you get to Europe. 

A few ways to keep your account active while you are away. Check this thread;

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Self-Serve/When-and-How-to-Suspend-or-Place-an-accoun...

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Unfortunately, PM only offers roaming in the US.

You could Wi-Fi apps like Textnow, Skype, Signal, or Fongo.  To keep your PM active , you could keep the $15 plan.

Need Help? Let's chat.