cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

international calls

johnstonlinda
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Heading to Mexico, can I use my public mobile phone while there?

10 REPLIES 10

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@warzouing wrote:

I know that Public Mobile has no roaming service anywhere else besides the US that was why I have proposed the solution (not proven yet unless somebody from PM will try it during their next vacations). Note that it will require a wifi connection in any case.

@warzouing yes this works, I've done it before, except that I used a local SIM (when in Europe) or Roam Mobility (when in the USA) to provide mobile data instead of relying on WiFi.  WiFi-only works too, but you just won't be able to receive calls when you're away from a WiFi signal (calls will go to your Fongo voicemail box).

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

warzouing
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I forgot to add that with Fongo, besides Canada calls (to/from) which are free you can buy credits to call anywhere in the world. Long distance rates, not very expensive, are the ones from Canada to the country you are calling. My personal experience with Fongo is very good when travelling to Southeast Asia, Europe and the US. I was able to call home as well as people in Canada was able to reach  me on my Fongo number

warzouing

I know that Public Mobile has no roaming service anywhere else besides the US that was why I have proposed the solution (not proven yet unless somebody from PM will try it during their next vacations). Note that it will require a wifi connection in any case.

• In Canada, you can install Fongo that will provide you with a Canadian phone number. Number will be canceled after 3 months of inactivity, - Worked and already tested.
  • When travelling abroad, with your Fongo app you can call back any Canadian number and people from Canada on land line, VOIP or mobile can call you on your Fongo Canadian number. - Worked and already tested.
  • This is what to be tested ! Forward your PM phone number to your Fongo number. In theory, people calling you on your PM number should be directed to you abroad on your Fongo number.

cavemantoronto
Mayor / Maire

@johnstonlinda wrote:

Public Mobile only has service in Canada and roaming in U.S., no where else.

warzouing

A possible solution is to install Fongo, get a Canada number then forward Public Mobile number to that Fongo number when you will go abroad. With the Fongo number set up, you should be able to call any number in Canada while away and anybody calling your Public Mobile number will be forwarded to your Fongo number.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

I have bought moviestar sim I believe it cost 7$ and included 1 gb data and north American calling.  Even for 1 day it's worth it 

sunflowershine
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@sunflowershine wrote:

@johnstonlinda wrote:

@johnstonlinda NO. International call only for you to call from Canada to oversea. PM doesn't have a roaming plan for Mexico.

@johnstonlinda You can take a look with AOW mobile that is for international use. See if it fits your situation.https://alwaysonlinewireless.com/?utm_source=roammobility.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_content=AOW%20...

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@johnstonlinda wrote:

Alternative is to use a VOIP app such as Whatsapp. You can text and call home as long as you have wifi.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@johnstonlinda wrote:

No Public Mobile service while in Mexico. Depending on how long you plan on being there, you can buy a very inexpensive SIM card and 30 days of international calling/texting. Gogle it and you'll see there are some attractive options.  Adios.

sunflowershine
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@johnstonlinda wrote:

@johnstonlinda NO. International call only for you to call from Canada to oversea. PM doesn't have a roaming plan for Mexico.

Need Help? Let's chat.