cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i have a province only plan. can i use phone cards like CiCi to make international calls?

ba14ii
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

hi there,

as the title suggests, i have a province only plan with talk data and text, and my father tried making a call to an embassy in asia via cici phone card..since fido has garbage reception in our area. [incase anyone is unfamilar with it, it is one of those phone cards that you use to call foreign countries for a cheaper rate]. now i am wondering, being that these cards work by connecting to a domestic number first, is it because i have a provincial plan and require a national plan to use these products? curious because my mother and father are also interested in switching to PM and would like to know which PM service is required to use these cards.

thanks in advance!

4 REPLIES 4

ottawa
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

In fact the "local access number" could be on the far side of the province (say you live in Thunder Bay and have a LD calling card with only Toronto access number). I know that happens less frequently than in the past, but it also means you could use it while driving down the highway, as long as there's an in-province number to call. I see that CiCi has lots of local numbers and offers 866 access at no extra charge, but some cards do charge extra for toll-free access.

=aw

So long as there is a local access number no problem at all in using calling cards

bridonca
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Cici has local access numbers, so you are set.  Not a Public Mobile issue, but I have had this problem with phone cards on cell phones years ago.   Some of the cheaper,  lower quality phone cards would have unacceptable delays, and annoying jitter when I use them on cell phones, but were decent enough on the POTS line.  When I used a better quality calling card, I never had any problems. 

I have not used a calling card for the longest time, I would have to assume they are all good quality by now.  I have no idea how good cici cards are overseas.   You will have to find out yourself.

As for a Public Mobile plan, get the plan that suits you.  The voice quality is going to be the same no matter what you play for a plan.    That $20 province wide plan would seem to be a good option, especially if you are using calling cards.

I might add, Public Mobile has a really good voice add on.  For $15, you can get 400 minutes to call Canada, the US, and a lot of other countries that carry over to the next month until the minutes are exhausted.    That is 3.75 cents a minute, which is pretty good.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ba14ii, usually those calling cards require you to call an 800 number first.  If that's the case, I think it should work.  You should be able to call an 800 number wouthout a problem when you only have a provincial calling plan.

Need Help? Let's chat.