cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

have 90 day plans been eliminated?

carolyndyma
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I'm sending a referral to a friend and have recommended a 90 day play but he can't find them in the plan offerings.  Have they been eliminated?

Thanks.

27 REPLIES 27

@mpcdesign  You can certainly do a lot more data tests!

@darlicious thanks for doing the data test. I most likely will be changing it up. I mean, its nice to have a 90-day plan and not to worry about things. Instead of getting 8.5 gigs for 3 months, it would be 15 gigs of data. Not sure what I would be doing with so much data, but I guess I could stream more now!

@mpcdesign  Note: my phone is showing 4G while on mobile data it's set on 3G in my settings.

@mpcdesign  I can easily show you a 3G speed test but 4G can use 10x or more to do a test which is why in song do it on my 4G and I don't recommend you do either (unless you are on day 89.) Screenshot_20200106-025134_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20200106-024254_Settings.jpgScreenshot_20200106-025330_Settings.jpgScreenshot_20200106-024542_Settings.jpgScreenshot_20200106-025337_Settings.jpgScreenshot_20200106-024744.pngScreenshot_20200106-025458.png

@mpcdesign wrote:

@computergeek541 , but my phone says 4G. Is this for show?

All customer have access to the LTE network if the phone is compatible.  The "3g" aspect is only a speed reduction. Also,  the phone showing "4g" could mean anything. Some phones display a 4g icon but it's really on a HSPA-type network, while on some other devices, 4g means LTE.

Don't waste your data. If it doesn't say in your account, you have a full speed plan.

@computergeek541 , but my phone says 4G. Is this for show?

Don't waste your data on me, please. I feel bad for taking your precious time in this forum. 

I have been on the fence for the past month in switching plans. 3G or 4G. 30-days vs 90-days.

making sure there are funds in account vs 80 days make sure funds in the account. 5 gigs vs 2.83 gigs (I get 6+1.5gig +1gig promo for 8.5 gigs for 90-days).

I do like the stated facts in your long message from the pros and cons. 

I may have no choice to do the speed test to make sure if this is for real or not! 

@darlicious wrote:

@mpcdesign  The only way to find out if your account does not specifically list it would be tobdo a speed test off wifi. 

This is not necessary. All plans that are set to 3Mpbs 3g speeds state 3g in the data and add-ons section of the account.

@mpcdesign  The only way to find out if your account does not specifically list it would be tobdo a speed test off wifi. Caution speed tests use a lot of data and considerably more data on 4G. It's only recommended to do so on the last day of your plan cycle if you have extra data to burn. I can perform a speed test on my 3G to show you the amount of data used for it. I left 3.4gb on the table at my recent renewal so I can spare it. But I won't waste it on my 4G plan.

I got the plan way back in July 2017. I have no idea how to test the phone for 3G or 4G speeds. I guess I could Google it on my phone.

@cellphoneuser1 did make a good point, and quite possibly as well as you did that there aren't any LTE plans except for the 1 gig data plan add-on at this time. 

@darlicious, I was just thinking that maybe it is for show on my phone. It's been like that since they were changing plans. I didn't make the switch thinking I was getting LTE for nothing! I think if I was out and about, I do check to see if there is a wi-fi spot as my cable company has hotspots, and I get 500 gigs versus my 2.5 gig of data. 

@mpcdesign  I wasnt here during that time are you sure you have 3G? It is likely you have 4G on your 90 day plan. When did you get it?

Did you choose 3G or 4G ? If you chose 3G at the time and your account shows that....it makes the decision to move to a 30 day plan even easier.

@mpcdesign  @cellphoneuser1 is correct the 4G on your phone is just there for show if you are currently on a 3G plan. Before they recently eliminated the $10 plan it was the only one other than the data only plan to be able to recieve 4G as a plan with no data included would default to 4G.

I think if I can recall when they were changing those plans, I may have missed the boat didn't I?

@mpcdesign wrote:

@darlicious , so if I change my 90-day plan to a 30-day plan, I lose my 4G and go back to 3G?

Even though my plan says it's 3G but I get 4G on my phone?

There are no LTE plans any more except $30 data-only plan. Everything else is 3g speed.

@darlicious , so if I change my 90-day plan to a 30-day plan, I lose my 4G and go back to 3G?

Even though my plan says it's 3G but I get 4G on my phone?

@mpcdesign  I have two accounts and I changed one to the $10 plan just before it was eliminated so my free data add ons still enjoy 4G but it makes very little difference in day to day needs. But if I need to hunker down in the tent during a soggy and raìny day at the lake this summer I know I can stream a movie with no issues.

@darlicious, thanks for the suggestion. It has been nice to get 4G speeds, but I would think that PM would eventually be moving from 3G to 4G as it should be the norm by now. especially with 5G. 

@mpcdesign  I have included a screenshot of my thoughts on your dilemma. Sorry if its a little long i have a bit of a problem with that! But just a note to all those who give me the lovely constructive criticism which i do appreciate......this is what happens when I use the edit button to fix a paragraph that is out of place........happy reading @mpcdesign  hopefully the wall of text doesn't deter you!   Lol! (You know who you are......?!!)Screenshot_20200106-013428.png

@mpcdesign 

All things considered you have two main advantages/disadvantages to decide between: data speed and data amount. For some data speed is a deal breaker. 4G or 3G. Many people won't even consider switching to public mobile because 4G speed is essential to their needs. I really can't notice the difference except you can burn thru your data quicker at 4G due to certain apps like YouTube sensing the higher speed will use more to offer you better resolution etc...thus more data speed but do you really need this kind of better quality on your phone? Pertaining to your quandary this can be a distinct disadvantage because at 4G you also have half as much data per "month" averaging 2.5gb rather than 5gb.

Now for others the plan data allotment would be a no brainer. So many cannot make it thru 30 days with 8.5gb let alone 2.5gb or in their cases they would burn thru all 7.5gb before 30 days let alone 90 days. 5gb per month for you would put aside any need for conservatism you may experience in your final 30 days of your 90 day plan knowing you had used a little more than usual in your first 60 days. Even an accidental high use by an app running background data is easily remedied because your renewal is at most 29 days away rather than 50, 60 or 80 days later.                The need to change plans "now" wouldn't mean the loss of value of many days because the length of your plan is much shorter. You gain the flexibility of being able to change plans to suit your needs on a thirty day basis. Summers at the cottage or cabin where there may be little or no WiFi you can easily schedule change at next renewal to a higher data plan for a month or two. Alternatively  in winter knowing you spend a few months cosying up to the fireplace at home on WiFi you could lower your plan down to the $25 if you wanted to save an extra $15 per month.

If I was making the choice after considering all the factors and knowing it's a permanent one because you cannot return to 90 day plan or a 4G data speed I think I'd take the step into the 2020's and leave the 90 day plan in the past. I dont think 4G speed makes a big enough difference with throttled 3G and you use a little less at that speed and double the amount of data per month. Gaining flexibility gives you a lot more control over managing the cost of your bill and your needs at different times of the year even making it easier to suspend your account for a longer holiday overseas than with a 90 day plan.

Finally the convenience of paying your bill quarterly is not lost....you can continue to top up your account with enough funds to cover 90 days if you wish. But if you're a little short on funds you don't have to scrimp together a larger payment but just enough to cover 30 days. Best of luck with your final choice.

mpcdesign
Mayor / Maire

Hi Everyone,

First of all, Happy New Year 2020! 

Secondly, I need some suggestions? I have been grandfather on a 90-day plan. Should I make the jump to a 30-day plan? I like the 90-day plan ($120 total) because I didn't have to worry about paying for 90-days, and at the time I signed up, the plan that I was on was okay. Yes, I know I could either use all my data on one day or spread it across the 3-months. My plan is a bit dated, but do-able, at 7.5 gigs of data for 90-days. 

A 30-day plan would give me an outstanding 5 gigs at the same rate of $40 a month. I would still get the same discount from my autopay and loyalty. I didn't have any referrals. The occasion community reward here or there.

Am torn what to do, should I make the change from a 90-day plan to 3 monthly plan? 
I think the only benefit is the additional data of another 2.5 gigs of data to 5gigs? 

Thoughts

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@mimmo wrote:

@popping  I have to disagree with the statement no benefits for 90 day plans. its a moot point now but except for hose on 90 day plans.   Initially there were 2  then 1 then none.

the first was there was a slight discount for 90 day plans, but that was removed.

the second abeit a double edged sword was that you could spread your data usage over the 90 days,    one had higher usage than another.  or you could accidently use all your 90 days of data on the first day of the plan.  

Thank you for the info.  I was not with PM long enough to know that PM gave discount on 90 days plan over 3x30days.

mimmo

@popping  I have to disagree with the statement no benefits for 90 day plans. its a moot point now but except for hose on 90 day plans.   Initially there were 2  then 1 then none.

the first was there was a slight discount for 90 day plans, but that was removed.

the second abeit a double edged sword was that you could spread your data usage over the 90 days,    one had higher usage than another.  or you could accidently use all your 90 days of data on the first day of the plan.  

popping

@carolyndyma 

There is no advantage of getting the 90 days plan except the full LTE speed 90 days plan back in 2016 IIRC.

For subscribers with refer-a-friend reward, if one of your referee left PM on the day before your 90 days plan renewal, you will be out of $3 reward.  If you have a 30 days plan, you will get $2 reward instead of $0

@88cranston wrote:

Is there a difference? 90 day plan. Or pay for your plan for 30 or 90 days in advance?

Found on PM website today. Or website is not up to date?

7AE857DC-2FD9-46FB-91A7-96B9C8AEE8E6.jpeg

For new customers, the 90 day plans are not an option. For those on grandfathered 90 day plans, they can still use autopay and get the autopay credit.

Customer certainly can pay 3 month in advance still if he chooses, but the plans are only 30 day duration now. Payment will come out on renewal date along with autopay as long as customer has a valid credit card on their account.

mimmo

@88cranston   90 day plans exist for customers who had them, ie they are grandfatered. New customers can only get 30 day plans.

88cranston
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Is there a difference? 90 day plan. Or pay for your plan for 30 or 90 days in advance?

Found on PM website today. Or website is not up to date?

7AE857DC-2FD9-46FB-91A7-96B9C8AEE8E6.jpeg

mimmo

Yes 90 day plans, the plan builder and full lte plans have been removed. You can only choose from pre built plans. 

Edit. Just in case referrals now use a code not your tel number. 

Need Help? Let's chat.