cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

free one-time 5GB of data text.

jukos
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I manage my daughters account and she got a text from pm stating the subject line... is this ligit?

686 REPLIES 686

cynicustracks
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

That's awesome, thanks for the reply! With the whole working from home situation due to this COVID pandemic, I have barely made a dent in my data recently. It's good to know that the free promotional data will be handy one day. 

@cynicustracks Yes you will still get it if you have unused previous promotions.

cynicustracks

Does anyone know if I still get this free 5GB promotion if I still haven't used up my previous free 1GB promotion? I received a confirmation text fro PM regarding the 5GB promotion; it states that we will see it in our account on Aug 30th, just wondering if they would take away my previously earned free 1GB promotion. Thanks for any answers in advance! 

@cynicustracks wrote:

I wonder what makes the account qualify to receive these free promotions? 

@cynicustracks In this case you are in BC or AB.

cynicustracks

Interesting to hear since we have 2 Public Mobile accounts in the family and both accounts have received the free 5GB text promotion. Mind you both numbers are on the $25 plan; both numbers have been with Public Mobile for over 1 year. 

I wonder what makes the account qualify to receive these free promotions? 

jukos

I run 5 accounts for the family...only one got the offer.

@Anonymous 

I hear you and I get it though I have said “I’m outta here” several times now for things that were said but I’m still here.

Nothing wrong with being curious about how this actually worked and asking without demanding that they fix it. The suspended account likely doesn’t factor into the equation of which ones do and do not get the offer thus I would ask about the one that did get the offer (that isn’t suspended) and the one that didn’t get the offer. 

AE_Collector

jukos

Yes, an ontario area code, never been associated to bc,alberta.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@AE_Collector wrote:

@Anonymous 

So did you not send a casual enquiry to the moderators about your accounts that didn’t receive the offer? Just doesn’t make sense and of course they didn’t manually send out all the texts, there was some criteria for it. But whatever the criteria was seems awful convoluted looking at your experience. I’d ask at least...you might get a small piece of the puzzle in the answer or... the offer added to your other accounts.

AE_Collector

The fact that I got the gift on a suspended account drives me to not send the casual inquiry for the account that didn't. I think it would make me look petty and foolish and a whiner. One fellow customer has said I fall on swords. So be it. I have some honour. Others have not received it either so I'm not alone. If they were to report back that they sent a casual inquiry and got it then maybe. But I haven't read that here yet.

Even those that got the text but didn't answer "by" 🙂 the 24th didn't get the auto-reply back either.

@Anonymous 

So did you not send a casual enquiry to the moderators about your accounts that didn’t receive the offer? Just doesn’t make sense and of course they didn’t manually send out all the texts, there was some criteria for it. But whatever the criteria was seems awful convoluted looking at your experience. I’d ask at least...you might get a small piece of the puzzle in the answer or... the offer added to your other accounts.

AE_Collector

Anonymous
Not applicable

@AE_Collector wrote:

@Anonymous 

Yes I know, there has to be something else going on where some accounts got it and others didn’t. I was thinking more about maybe some people with one (or more) accounts that didn’t get the offer.... no offers. Also, I am not sure if the Shaw Mobile Bundling offer is there for people who have Shaw Direct (Satellite) TV service, IE: generally the more rural areas not served by Shaw cable TV/Internet.

AE_Collector

I moved to a larger urban centre. Everything relevant is here . For all of our curiosities it would be nice to know what the criteria was. That's why I offered up some differences between my accounts. Maybe others would. Maybe we can find a pattern. Like @wetcoaster who only got one of four.

@Anonymous 

Yes I know, there has to be something else going on where some accounts got it and others didn’t. I was thinking more about maybe some people with one (or more) accounts that didn’t get the offer.... no offers. Also, I am not sure if the Shaw Mobile Bundling offer is there for people who have Shaw Direct (Satellite) TV service, IE: generally the more rural areas not served by Shaw cable TV/Internet.

AE_Collector

Anonymous
Not applicable

@AE_Collector 

Nope plenty o' Shaw around these parts. And Freedom.

3 accounts - 1 active, 1 suspended got it - 1 active did not. 2 numbers from this specific area. 1 number from AB (the suspended one now reactivated). The 2 active numbers have changed. The 1 AB has not changed. The second active and AB number were referred by the first. The second active has the first as an alternate. All "native" PM numbers.

Just throwing out possible clues as to why some accounts did not get the gift.

I have two plans, both $15 currently, both have been bumped up and down to $15, $25 & $40, they are 18 & 21 months old now, both were ported to PM from Telus. Both got the 1Gb/1000 minute offers.

The idea that exchanges or addresses in areas of BC and Alberta that are not served by Shaw Cable were left out seems a reasonable idea to me. Freedom Mobile has been around for awhile but calling it Shaw Mobile and bundling with existing Shaw Cable service is only being done for one reason, to make them more competitively prices to get more customers. So PM customers who are HERE to save money are a prime target of Shaw Mobile.

AE_Collector

@4star60 The carrier you came from doesn't really explain it. Public Mobile never said who would get the offer. 

4star60

Ok. Well.  Perhaps that explains it.  Our bonus accounts were ported from Speakout also.

Actually ours were originally Telus also!  🙂

@4star60 

If it would be area specific all the accounts I'm taking care of would have been treated the same way since they have all the same prefix / are all in the same local calling area (= either all would have gotten the promo, or none).

As it stands, it's one out of four that got it. All four have at least $1 loyalty rewards (meaning that all the accounts have been open for more than a year), all have a minimum of $1 referral rewards, all are on a limited minutes plan (3x $15, 1x $10). 

The only difference, that I can discern, beside the age of the account (the oldest one got the bonus), and, by a small margin, activity (the most recent $15 plan has a similar usage pattern as the oldest, with using most of the included minutes and data each cycle) is number porting. The oldest account has a number that was originally a Telus (prepaid) number, that was ported to 7-11 SpeakOut, and then ported to PM. Whereas the other accounts, that didn't get the text, all have numbers directly from the PM pool. Oh, and the $10 plan is the only one that is an original, all the $15s have been up and downgraded over time to adjust to changing data needs.

FWIW, this feels about as random as some of the previous Koodo migration offers. 

4star60

Perhaps in the area where the shaw mobile offer most applies.  ie. where the shaw network is live not where nationwide is available.  Who knows?  😉

Oops.jpeg

Anonymous
Not applicable

@AE_Collector wrote:

I never really heard of anyone replying ON Monday Aug 24 and getting the proper resPhones back making it look as though midnight eastern Aug 23 was the last moment to reply. I find that surprising as most PM offers quote an end date and it is at the Very end of that date.

AE_Collector

Yes but then we're reading people replying and not getting the auto-reply. I would still maintain that "by" means 11:59PM ET before that date.

This OP got the message so it's reasonable for them to give it to them. I didn't get the message on one active account of two. But apparently I fall on swords as I don't think it would be proper of me to beg for it on that one account. Heck...I got it on an 85 day suspended account so I can't _really_ complain.

I never really heard of anyone replying ON Monday Aug 24 and getting the proper response back making it look as though midnight eastern Aug 23 was the last moment to reply. I find that surprising as most PM offers quote an end date and it is typically at the Very end of that date.

AE_Collector

@claricecola from what others hace posted, you should have gotten a reply text from PM. Are you sure you beat the deadline? Everthing here is done in est time. You would have had to text YES by 9pm local time.

I would try contacting the moderators about it. There are 2 ways to contact the Moderator Team:

• Faster response- Get help with your account the easy way by starting a conversation with our virtual assistant, SIMon. It’ll take you to relevant help articles, or if it’s something more urgent, it can help you submit a ticket to the Moderator Team. Click here to get started.
  • Slower- Alternatively, you can send a private message to the Moderators by clicking here. You’ll need to be logged in to your Community account for the link to work.

Once connected to Simon, you will be asked to log in again with your community user name and password.  Please do, this allows you to continue and send your message.
- Check your private message sent box (click on the envelope top right of your screen) to make sure the message was sent.

- Keep an eye on the envelope top right of your screen.  The mods answer will show up there.  When it does, you will be asked to verify your self service account, with your password and login. Doing so allows the process to continue. Stay safe. 

claricecola

@Anonymous Great to hear that it's legit!  Didn't think PM could get any dreamier but I stand corrected!

I saw the message on 24 Aug.  Regardless I definitely replied on the morning of 24 Aug.  Unfortunately I didn't receive an auto-reply back.  Will see if I can get a response from a Moderator.  Thanks a bunch!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@claricecola wrote:

I received this SMS from Public Mobile on Aug 24, from the number 517-9:

Public Mobile here.  Make the most of our Canada-wide network with a gift, on us.  Enjoy a free one-time 1GB of data + 1000 Canada-wide minutes.  Just like that.  Reply YES by 24-Aug-2020 to opt in and get your gift."

I replied YES by the deadline but haven't received any confirmation or heard anything back from PM.  Anyone else get this and know how this works from here? 

Happy Hump Day PMers!

It was legit. You should have got an auto-reply back. But are you sure it arrived on the 24th? Or did you only see it on the 24th?

claricecola

I received this SMS from Public Mobile on Aug 24, from the number 517-9:

Public Mobile here.  Make the most of our Canada-wide network with a gift, on us.  Enjoy a free one-time 1GB of data + 1000 Canada-wide minutes.  Just like that.  Reply YES by 24-Aug-2020 to opt in and get your gift."

I replied YES by the deadline but haven't received any confirmation or heard anything back from PM.  Anyone else get this and know how this works from here? 

Happy Hump Day PMers!

@Hutch2020 if you didn't receive a text then unfortunately you didn't qualify. apparently it was a random pick of customers. 

@LurganIeUk wrote:

Why was it BC and AB only? I know the Telus main offices are in BC and AB.

Telus HQ is Vancouver and an eastern Canada branch of the HO is in Toronto. Telus’ incumbent Telco service area is BC, Alberta and parts of Quebec.

Quebec residents quite recently had a competitive promotion that no other provinces were eligible for.

I would however out of curiosity like to know more about which customers IN BC & Alberta didn’t receive the offer though. Maybe very new To PM customers didn’t receive the offer as they had just made a decision to switch to PM anyway? 

AE_Collector

After I said YES they said it should  show on account by August 31 AND they would text when completed. 

Hutch2020

can't seem to make it work. Just get the bot.

Need Help? Let's chat.