cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

free one-time 5GB of data text.

jukos
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I manage my daughters account and she got a text from pm stating the subject line... is this ligit?

686 REPLIES 686

chadlia858
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

If you get the offer text message and reply "YES" by Aug 24. You should be getting this offer by Aug 31. Stay tune!

Ok thanks....makes sense. 

I am am not a Shaw customer and never likely would be! But I just wonder is the Mobile plan a ploy to gain  more customers and will require a 2 year commitment and some time in the near future rates go up up up!

I assume Bell, Telus and Rogers will do similar?

@LurganIeUk wrote:

Why was it BC and AB only? I know the Telus main offices are in BC and AB.

Do other provinces get freebies too...if not wouldn’t they be disappointed customers when they see these posts?

@LurganIeUk   I believe it's in response to Shaw's rollout of their new cell service in BC and Alberta.  Also not all customers in BC/Alberta received this offer which makes it quite a strange decision by PM.  I believe Quebec customers received a special rate on the $35 plan a little while ago, but that is now also available to everyone (although for a limited time).

Why was it BC and AB only? I know the Telus main offices are in BC and AB.

Do other provinces get freebies too...if not wouldn’t they be disappointed customers when they see these posts?

@gblackma wrote:

@Hutch2020  as far as I know, you have an area code and address for either BC or Alberta. Try replying YES to 5179. And contact the moderators if the above conditions were met. As @dabr suggests. Stay safe. 

@gblackma   I deleted the link when I edited the post as it wasn't relevant to OP's question which I initially misread and I believe not all customers in BC/Alberta received this text offer and OP may, unfortunately, be out of luck.

But here's the link if @Hutch2020  wants to send a message to moderators: https://publicmobile.ca.ada.support/chat/

@Hutch2020  as far as I know, you have an area code and address for either BC or Alberta. Try replying YES to 5179. And contact the moderators if the above conditions were met. As @dabr suggests. Stay safe. 

@Hutch2020 wrote:

What makes you eligible to get it?

@Hutch2020   Are you a resident of BC or Alberta?  Not all customers in BC or Alberta received it either unfortunately, so you may be one of those who didn't.

Hutch2020
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

DID not get the text.

Hutch2020

What makes you eligible to get it?

@Hutch2020 wrote:

I did not receive the 1 gig / 1000 min. promotion that was offered Aug. 2020. How do I get it?

@Hutch2020   I'm afraid you maybe too late as you needed to text back YES by the 24th Aug. to accept the offer.

Edit:  Sorry missed the "did not" part!

@Hutch2020 the text was sent to eligible customers in BC and Alberta. Stay safe.

Hutch2020

I did not receive the 1 gig / 1000 min. promotion that was offered Aug. 2020. How do I get it?

@darlicious 

Interesting. I cant think what would make one BC customer eligible while another BC customer isn’t. We are fairly certain it isn’t the plan you are on. What’s left....length of time you’ve been with PM? 

AE_Collector

@AE_Collector 

I asked a moderator about qualifhing for this promotion and this is the answer I recieved today.

So just to clarify the SMS text offer was not sent to every customer in BC and Alberta just most of them. As long as you got a reply to YES then you are eligible. If not you're just unlucky......lol.

That is exactly true!

Bummer......sorry to everyone that didn't get the "Good choice...." response.

LauraJean87
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Depends on location. 

wildman21

I replied yes but didnt get a reply and havent seen it added to my account either

I am not sure if I heard of anyone here replying YES today and getting the proper response back. But I would think that “By Aug 24” means by the end of Aug 24 (9 PM Pacific). Their past promotions that had similar wording were valid until the end of the day indicated.

AE_Collector

@carlaspapa did he receive a text yesterday and tried to reply today? 

@computergeek541 I have a hunch it ended before August 24, but I'm probably wrong. there's no one to test this theory. I don't think anybody would want too. 

carlaspapa
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Hey everybody so my buddies tried to opt into this offer and it's not happening he trieYES START SUBSCRIBE  and it still not getting him any response do you think it's actually too late it ended last night at midnight?

Shaw has a lot of Canada-spanning wired infrastructure. All their old cable systems, new cable systems, optic stuff, etc. So they're well-equipped for moving communications (data) around the nation.

But they don't have those precious CRTC cellular-band radio licenses everywhere in Canada - and they don't have enough base stations (coverage) deployed to put Big Money against the Big Three. So they focus on increasing data density within the "core" urban areas which they (I mean *ahem* Wind Mobile) have already deployed. They might expand, they might suddenly dump billions into aggressive expansion, but it seems doubtful. Remember that the Big Three (or *ahem* their predecessors) built up their "nation-wide coverage" over several decades, and that was back in the days when the radio licenses were "free" and regulations were weak (they basically made up their own rules) and their region-locked competitors weren't real considerations..

@gpixel I'm pretty sure that means by the end of August 24, eastern time. The problem by saying "by August 24" has to do with that not being a specific moment in time.

@Korth 

I am pretty certain I can tell then which method causes the least stress to systems... the method where they just use some automated method to add the freebies to everyone’s account in the area code or province they choose. This method of replying to a text is causing lots of stress, it will burn up a bunch of moderator time with enquires and they still have to go into loads of accounts somehow adding the correct freebie to each one. But there will be lots of people in the target group who don’t get the  text and/or didn’t reply to it lowering their cost but also lowering the program effectiveness.

@AE_Collector wrote:

Yes it is interesting how the three different gifts over the last 12 months have all been done a bit differently. First automatically put in accounts. Second we had to log in to Self Serve and claim them. Now we have to respond YES to a text message.

Well, we don't really have to do those things, lol, although declining them means no gifts.

I'm guessing that PM is experimenting with feedback mechanisms, measuring which method causes the least strain (and cost) on their systems.

I remember Self-Serve being "unavailable" for days, almost like a denial-of-service attack, because it was overwhelmed by waves of customers rushing to get their freebies. A seemingly large number of customers couldn't access Self-Serve, not just the stragglers but also the people who required account logins for normal not-gift-related account functions. Not good business if people can't come in to pay, new customers are locked out, and existing customers get angry because they're denied what they were promised (or can't even pay to get working phone service) by technical barriers. Sorting it all out probably cost PM extra money and apologies and labour, and even then there were still some vocal and disgruntled customers who lost.

I wonder if PM's SMSC systems have likewise been stressed by "unanticipated" peak demands - although I suspect that ticking "YES" flags onto a big list with a million names isn't as demanding on the machinery (or on the bandwidth) as serving a million secured web login sessions.

Im pretty sure pm meant before Aug.24 😉✌️

@TCY wrote:

Agree too. But when Shaw starts promoting their mobile service in other parts of Canada, they’ll probably get some type of PM promotion too. 

I do not believe that's going to happen. Shaw Mobile is the same service as a Freedom Mobile. Public Mobile stoppeed caring about what Freedom does long ago. What makes Shaw unique is the plan and bundling opportunities. In much of the country, Shaw does not have a cable tv network/internet network that any Shaw Mobile/Freedom service can be bundled with. 

@TCY 

Wasn't me but good advice to get messages ON again. I never really have a problem with text messages, I like the confirmation that my account has just renewed and all the rewards were applied etc.

AE_Collector

TCY

@Superapoon 

To those who texted STOP to 5179, try texting START to start getting messages again, or text HELP to get a list of commands you can use.

TCY

@J-L   Agree...even though I know it's a response to Shaw's new cell service, it would've been nice (and fairer) to offer something to all PM customers and maybe an extra incentive to customers in BC and Alberta

Agree too. But when Shaw starts promoting their mobile service in other parts of Canada, they’ll probably get some type of PM promotion too. 

@MsSylvieco It shouldn't matter if you deleted the message. Public Mobile doesn't have any way of knowing if you've deleted or even read the message.

@MsSylvieco wrote:

Hello, I received a text from Public Mobile advising me that  I could received a free one-time 5GB of data text. I deleted the text before replying to it. How may I access the free offer again? Thank you.

If you have an iPhone  and other Apple products like a Mac or iPad you can set those devices up to send and receive texts using PM texting.  That way you will also have all texts on the other devices and if you delete from phone.....they will remain on the other devices.  See set up here. 

It won’t  help for this one...but will help in the future. 

Need Help? Let's chat.