cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

free one-time 5GB of data text.

jukos
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I manage my daughters account and she got a text from pm stating the subject line... is this ligit?

686 REPLIES 686

@nyx82 at least 3 other accounts. As I told them we haven't heard anything about this. Think its a scam. Contact the moderators to see if its legitimate or to at least notify them about it. It s highly suspect that 4 now 4 different phones have been hit. There are 2 ways to contact the Moderator Team:

• Faster response- Get help with your account the easy way by starting a conversation with our virtual assistant, SIMon. It’ll take you to relevant help articles, or if it’s something more urgent, it can help you submit a ticket to the Moderator Team. Click here to get started.
  • Slower- Alternatively, you can send a private message to the Moderators by clicking here. You’ll need to be logged in to your Community account for the link to work.

Once connected to Simon, you will be asked to log in again with your community user name and password.  Please do, this allows you to continue and send your message.
- Check your private message sent box (click on the envelope top right of your screen) to make sure the message was sent.

- Keep an eye on the envelope top right of your screen.  The mods answer will show up there.  When it does, you will be asked to verify your self service account, with your password and login. Doing so allows the process to continue. Stay safe. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

I got all excited when I heard my notifications. Oh. Just the boring ccts thing.

Still no freebies here.

khemmerl
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I just received the same text and was also wondering if it is legit.

OmittedOmen
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi,

i signed up for PM last week on the $30 2GB promo and got the same text sequence as another poster.

Text from 512-9 at 2:03pm about CCTS and unresolved complaints.  I actually got a similar text from Freedom Mobile right before I left them.  So that didn’t strike me as too odd.

Text from 517-9 at 3:11pm to make the most of their Canada-Wide coverage with a gift on us.  Free, one-time 5GB of data.  Needed to reply yes by August 24, 2020 to opt in for the gift.  Could also reply STOP to stop receiving Public Mobile offers.

i came here to also see if this was legit as they have nothing on the website or Social Media alluding to it.

Edit for Clarification: I’m in Alberta

Camera4617
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

There is another thread on this message.. 

"free one-time 5GB of data text."

nyx82

Hi I received the following text message from 5179 and wondering if it is legit.

"Public Mobile here. Make the most of our Canada-wide network with a gift, on us. For a limited time, enjoy a free one-time 5GB of data. Just like that.

Reply YES by 24-Aug-2020 to opt in and get your gift.

Only valid for <mobile number>. Reply STOP to stop receiving Public Mobile offers."

Did anyone else got this?

CalgaryBen
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Sweet!  I still haven't even used up the 1GB Holiday Giveway, or the $1GB promo from last fall.  What will I do with this extra 5GB?  Guess I need to start using up more data!  I'm on the $25/30d plan with 500+500MB data, which suits me more than adequately.  This account opened on Mar 4, 2018.

SMS came from 5179, which is also the short code used to send me an invitation for 2GB data/mo for an extra $10/mo on April 22, 2020, and a Koodo migration offer back on Feb 20, 2020.

PMFree5GB.png

radyeab

I got an offer of free 1gb of data and 1000 minutes of Canada-wide minutes from 5179.   I am on the $10 plan.

gzluwl

Both me and my wife also received a text from 5179. But the offer is 1GB of data + 1000 Canada wide minutes.

I am on the $10 plan and my wife on the $15 plan.

Camera4617
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

I just got it too.. From 517-9 line.. 

TheHolisticGuy

$50 plan here

Anonymous
Not applicable

@gpixel wrote:

PM send me a text! is this only on certain plans? 

Start sharing plans. What plan are you on? Maybe the others above earlier could share their plans too.

I'm on the dead $10 plan. I don't suppose I'll be getting any free data.

@gpixel Yes! See @ShawnC13 's post two above yours.

PM send me a text! is this only on certain plans? 

*sorry I meant which plan is this being offered too so I can switch quickly lol

@jukos@TheHolisticGuy  what plan are you on

@TheHolisticGuy , @jukos . I think it's a scam. But I dont know how they would get access to at least 3 different PM numbers to send it. So I would contact  the moderators to verify and at least inform them about it so that they can look out for suspicious activity on your accounts. There are 2 ways to contact the Moderator Team:

• Faster response- Get help with your account the easy way by starting a conversation with our virtual assistant, SIMon. It’ll take you to relevant help articles, or if it’s something more urgent, it can help you submit a ticket to the Moderator Team. Click here to get started.
  • Slower- Alternatively, you can send a private message to the Moderators by clicking here. You’ll need to be logged in to your Community account for the link to work.

Once connected to Simon, you will be asked to log in again with your community user name and password.  Please do, this allows you to continue and send your message.
- Check your private message sent box (click on the envelope top right of your screen) to make sure the message was sent.

- Keep an eye on the envelope top right of your screen.  The mods answer will show up there.  When it does, you will be asked to verify your self service account, with your password and login. Doing so allows the process to continue. Stay safe. 

This is a LEGIT text from PM.  There is a targeted promo to certain plans being offered to BC and Alberta customers

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

TheHolisticGuy

My bad, mine was from 517-9 also.  It looks the same as @jukos 

jukos

Unfortunately she told me after she replied yes...any actions that can be taken to help in a case like this?

@jukos yours is from 5179, @TheHolisticGuy  is from 5128? It's beginning to look more suspicious. Stay safe. 

@TheHolisticGuy  @jukos  I think its a scam I got the 5129 CCTS message too. Could you please post the 5128 message here so that we can look at it? Thanks.

jukos

screenshot of the message. She texted yes back and reply said to check her self serve to see if it was applied. I just checked and not applied as of yet.

pm5g.jpg

TheHolisticGuy

My wife and I both received this text as well.  Came from 512-8 shortly after a message from Public Mobile from 512-9 about unresolved complaints.

@jukos Although not impossible,  I'm not sure about any text message sent to an existing customer about promotions. A 5GB one-time offer would almost certainly only be for new customers, so I would say that advertising on the Public Mobile webpage would likely be more effective.

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@jukos Believe it's phishing sms, DO NOT click any link in the text, nor provide any personal info. No such promo has been announced.

EDIT: whoops got this one wrong!  😥

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@jukos wrote:

I manage my daughters account and she got a text from pm stating the subject line... is this ligit?

@jukos   It's possible there's a promotion but what are the conditions for the free data?  I would make sure any link is legitimate before clicking on it though

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@jukos this is the first that I have heard about it.  Which number is it from? Thanks.Stay safe. 

Need Help? Let's chat.