cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

extended travel

aztec
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi,

Let's say I sign up for a $25/month plan then I leave the country for 3 months and don't use my PM sim card to make/receive calls. What will happen to my plan?

do I need to keep it 'active' somehow so I don't lose the service?

and if so, how would I do that if I'm out of the country?

I'm looking at porting my number over from another carrier.

12 REPLIES 12

BearFBI
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@dude65 wrote:

Bottom line is you want to activate the suspended phone no later then day 89

I would activate it on the 85th just in case of any issues like self serve maintenance or who knows. You dont want to risk loosing your number

dude65
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

If you want to port, do it sooner then later. both accounts have to be active to complete the port meaning your paying 2 providers and then susupending your service after the port is completed. Bottom line is you want to activate the suspended phone no later then day 89

AE_Collector
Mayor / Maire

@aztec 

The literal answer to your question is that nothing will happen to it. You don’t have to use it to keep it going. You didn’t indicate that you would stop paying the monthly cost of the plan likely by having autopay set up. 

But, if you DO intend on doing something to stop paying for your plan then it will go as others have already indicated.

AE_Collector

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@aztec make sure you have a self serve account made before you leave the country and you'll be able to manage your account through there. all you need is an internet connection.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@aztec , depending on where you are in the plan cycle, you might be okay without paying while you are away.  After the current plan cycle ends, you have up to 89 days of suspension before the account deactivates.  If there is enough time for you to be back to the country, then all you need to do is go into the account and disable auto pay.  If you have funds in the account, then you need to declare the lost phone function as auto pay does not prevent funds in the account from being used to renew.  

@aztec  Welcome to the community . Personally,  a couple of days before leaving the country I would switch my plan down to the lowest plan, currently the $15 plan. Here's an article on switching plans 

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/change-your-plan

Then remove my credit card. Now you are safe for 119 days from date of switch. Since you haven't already signed up. 

Here's 4 articles on activation and porting and the Refer a friend reward  if you need them:

1. What you require to activate https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/what-you-need-to-activate
2.How to activate https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/activation-account-set-up
3.How to port https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/choose-your-phone-number
4. Refer a friend https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/the-refer-a-friend-reward

Stay safe. 

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

Hi

If you leave at the middle of your plan you will still have about 10 days to get your account up and running.

If you leave at the end of your plan you are running chance of getting to close.

Once you sign up and know your renewal day you can start planning.

I would suggest login back into your account at least 5 days before your account is set to expire (they will display that on your account) and reactivate your plan.

Will you have access to Internet while away?

Naepalm
Mayor / Maire

@aztec if you have auto pay on it will renew each month, if you don't it will go into suspended. So if you are at the beginning of your renewal then you will have 120 days until you lose your number. 

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

You can suspend your account for up to 90 days.  You should make a payment before the 90 day limit to keep your account active.

Just follow these steps:

1. Log into your Self-Serve account
  2. Go to Plan and Add-Ons > Lost/Stolen Phone
  3. Select Suspend Service

Note that after 90 days in suspend, your account will be deactivated permanently so be sure to return to this page.

Staliger
Mayor / Maire

@aztec You can suspend service for up to 89 days. After 90 days, the account is cancelled. So, on the 89th day, pay for your plan so your account became active, and then, suspend it for up to next 89 days again. Repeat procedure until you come back to Canada.

RossN
Mayor / Maire

@aztec hello as long as your plan is not suspended more than 90 days you can reactivate up until that time if you will be longer than 90 days you can downgrade your plan to the cheapest for one cycle and then let it suspend again for another 90 days and so on and so on this way you can keep your plan activated have a great day Also I would like to add don’t leave it until the last day or two in case you run into some issues you may need some time

Need Help? Let's chat.