cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

does public mobile offer LTE data?

bhavpate4
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello, my few friend wanted to change to public mobile  but they wanted high speed LTE data? does public mobile offer LTE data?

10 REPLIES 10

LTE

Koodo prepaid offer HIGH speed LTE.   $75 10GB 

Maybe Virgin mobile also Limted plans options 

Public mobile use to offer HIGH SPEED LTE last day was   (30 July 2019)   Rebrand this current look took extra plan feature out.  

old plan feature made public mobile spécial it was only prepaid 

30 or 90 days plan. No more after august 1 2019.  cap Speed of 3 Mbits/s  delay respons time. 

PC Mobile is a Bell brand / subsidary these days.

And if you are willing to go post paid there are better deals than $45/1GB LTE out there.

Consult the shopping forum with the hot colour in the name.

For me personally  throttled LTE is still adequate for a 1GB (which is $23 here, essentially half price...) or even 5GB data bucket. In fact it feels equally as fast, if not faster, as the speed I get on full LTE on my dog brand account.

@UMM wrote:
Anyone look at PC Mobile?  Looks pretty comparable to Public's current offerings, but LTE.  $45/mo for 1GB of 4G, which isn't much but personally could get by with that rather than more but slower data.

Sad state of affairs.

UMM

@wetcoaster wrote:

@UMM wrote:

@wetcoaster wrote:

@UMM wrote:

Eesh... how am I supposed to refer someone to a service that, at the dawn of 2020, offers new customers 3G only plans!? 

- Public Mobile is totally in tune with it's direct competition when it comes to speed: Lucky applies the same principle, ChatR operates on the 3G network only.

"In tune with it's [sic] direct competition" is not mutually exclusive with *still* being a total ripoff, symptomatic of an oligopolistic market where competition is illusory. 

Nobody disputes that. If you have a viable solution, easily accessible and to maintain for all Canadians right now*, that avoids paying an arm and a leg for a reasonable plan, I'm sure we're all ears.

Anyone look at PC Mobile?  Looks pretty comparable to Public's current offerings, but LTE.  $45/mo for 1GB of 4G, which isn't much but personally could get by with that rather than more but slower data.

Sad state of affairs.

@UMM wrote:

@wetcoaster wrote:

@UMM wrote:

Eesh... how am I supposed to refer someone to a service that, at the dawn of 2020, offers new customers 3G only plans!? 

- Public Mobile is totally in tune with it's direct competition when it comes to speed: Lucky applies the same principle, ChatR operates on the 3G network only.

"In tune with it's [sic] direct competition" is not mutually exclusive with *still* being a total ripoff, symptomatic of an oligopolistic market where competition is illusory. 

Nobody disputes that. If you have a viable solution, easily accessible and to maintain for all Canadians right now*, that avoids paying an arm and a leg for a reasonable plan, I'm sure we're all ears.

* As in: walking into a kiosk or a retailer and get a plan on a reliable network.

Freedom is still not available for people that don't live in metropolitan areas, still spotty coverage in certain areas, for best results one needs new hardware with band 66 etc.

US providers and going VoIP on a data plan is not "easily available".

Oh, and good for you for picking on a minor spelling mistake. So glad that you are so perfect - you'll find plenty of posts here that you can go and correct. For the record, I was typing on the phone and got called away while doing so. 

UMM

@wetcoaster wrote:

@UMM wrote:

@UMM wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

@bhavpate4 wrote:

Hello, my few friend wanted to change to public mobile  but they wanted high speed LTE data? does public mobile offer LTE data?

Full speed LTE is only currently offered to a new customer on the $30 data-only plan.

- at Public Mobile data is delivered over LTE if available and allowed by the phone settings. The speed is throttled to 3Mbps up and down. Which is plenty for the small data buckets available and for the average person who mainly uses maps, email and social media on the go, or streams music.

- if you look at playing online games and stream HD movies regularly, you need to go elsewhere and pay the price for a bigger plan

@UMM wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

@bhavpate4 wrote:

Full speed LTE is only currently offered to a new customer on the $30 data-only plan.

At the price point of $25 for Unlimited Canada wide calling, Unlimited International texting and 1GB of data (3G)...for my lifestyle PM is perfect. I kicked myself for not coming here sooner. There's other plans with more data if that's an issue...but at higher cost. I don't usually stream music or movies so my plan is what I need. Your demands could be different though.

UMM

@computergeek541 wrote:

@bhavpate4 wrote:

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@computergeek541 wrote:

@bhavpate4 wrote:

@bhavpate4 

Please note that you cannot add minutes add-on for data only plan.  There is also no text add-on.  But you can use textnow for voice and text.

@bhavpate4 wrote:

Need Help? Let's chat.