cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

does Public Mobile have any or is planning any options for smart watches that need data?

edwinx
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

such as Apple Watch?

can that device share the data on my phone? or some accomodation be made?

29 REPLIES 29

martin8
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Bell { except saskatchewan, or manitoba, i forgot which province exactly} and there's Telus as well as Rogers supporting this. i do not know about bell and rogers, but with telus you can only get it at 10 a month if you are on one of their high priced phone plans

martin8
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

i would like to know too, and i guess a whole lot more people want this feature as well

RichardKCLing

I think the only thing about getting a different SIM card is that you have to have a different number, which defeats the purpose. 🙂

RichardKCLing

Thanks.  I always have my phone around me too. 🙂

RichardKCLing

Thanks!

sirvar

I'm using a Wear24 and even tho it has WiFi and LTE, I only use it with bluetooth. Much better battery life and I always have my phone on or near me. Bluetooth is strong enough to keep it connected everywhere in my apartment.

@RichardKCLing wrote:

Does PM have a package or we just get another SIM card for the watch? Thanks.

Sorry, but no such option. 

If the smartwatch that you have is compatible, you would have to get a separate sim card and also pay for an additinoal plan fee. 

The only way I can see around that would be to use the smartwatch without a sim card and to connect the smartwatch via bluetooh or Wi-Fi hotspot to use the phone's internet connection.  However, both the cell phone and smartwatch would have to be in very close proximity to each other. 

RichardKCLing

Does PM have a package or we just get another SIM card for the watch? Thanks.

edwinx

yup, it connects by BT otherwise.  I currently have the non-LTE version.  I figure when this watch dies, I can review and see which carriers have the best overall deal and switch to that...or not switch at all and just get another non-LTE watch

RichardKCLing

Thanks.  You reminded me to just check the Add-ONs.  Guess they don't have it.  I don't really need it but thought I'd check. 🙂  Think it can be connected via blue tooth.

warpdrive

I do have the cellular Apple Watch, and the cellular aspect works great! I did have to jump ship to TELUS to get it up and running though. Fortunately I was able to get fired up with the 10 GB for 60 plan over last holiday season, shortly there after I fired up the Apple Watch with cellular and even fired up the Telus drive system now I get a total of 12 GB

RichardKCLing

Have you got the Apple Watch? Now that Samsung Galaxy Watch is also LTE, I wonder how that works?

warpdrive

PS- I jumped to Telus for the 10gb for $60 deal. I just fired up the apple watch and it works over cellular. The only thing is this, because the 10gb is not sharable the watch can only use the 1gb that comes with the watch plan, which I am fine with. Public Mobile is great, this TELUS deal just works better for me. I still have my wife and daughter on Public Mobile. Just thought Id throw it out there for anybody who is longing for cellular compatibility with the series 3 apple watch.

edwinx

Ah thanks for that. I only saw the live blog and couldn't watch the live stream.

good. at least there is a chance for me.  I will hold off before upgrading but that is the only option I would want to upgrade to. otherwise, I will stick with my gen1 until it dies.

Although I'm not buying anything, I watched the release this evening.

Bell is launching at release, and Telus was listed as before year end.  I saw Bell listed alone, and then Telus was added with other carriers afterwards.

edwinx

https://mobilesyrup.com/2017/09/12/apple-watch-series-3-canadian-availability-and-pricing/

mentions Telus again

who knows who is correct.

but I would like Telus be in on it and then Public Mobile too. Otherwise, no upgrade for me...

sirvar

That photo was a screenshot of the live stream directly from Apple's website

edwinx

where was that photo from?

This photo is from the Verge.

apple_iphone_2017_20170912_10834

sirvar

Maybe you read Telstra as Telus? Got this from the keynote and it only mentioned Bell. Regardless, I believe you will only be able to use it with Telus initially as the carrier is the one who has to setup the cellular service vs just popping in a SIM.

Screen Shot 2017-09-12 at 11.28.06 PM.png

edwinx

but the slide presentation shows Bell and Telus though.

So Bell at launch, Telus at a later date? and if Telus supports it, would that cascade down to Public Mobile?

sirvar

From what I recall, only Bell is supporting it in Canada at launch.

edwinx

https://www.theverge.com/2017/9/12/16270442/new-apple-watch-lte-announced-price-release-date-feature...

So Bell and Telus will support this.  Does that mean Public Mobile will support it as well? (hoping...)

edwinx

it won't have a physical slot. it will be e-sim. supposedly uses the same numbe as the phone sim. so there needs to be some cooperation between apple and the carrier.

then hoping the cost is free or $5 (cheap) to use it on the watch like this.  

since the data is so minimal, I would rather have it free. 

sirvar

If you just get the lowest data option on the 90 day plan, it's $106 +tax ($35.33/month +tax). That's very high compared to other providers who offer something along the lines of $10/GB. The question isn't if Public's SIM works on smartwatches but rather if or when they will offer a smartwatch (or LTE tablet) specific plan.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

If the smart watch has a SIM slot and draws data like a phone, then there needs to be no special provisions for plans that work on the watch.  So my guess is Public Mobile plans will work.

edwinx

the next model is rumoured to be LTE capable and support e-sim.    Some providers in the states have a $5/month addon so that you wil have data on your watch (or other devices) or even a free option to use your phone data so you don't have to bring your phone to the gym or running, etc

sirvar

The rumours for Apple's Sept. 12 event suggest that they will be updating the Apple Watch to support a SIM and become a stand alone device without having to be in range of your iPhone. This is very common with smart watches in China as most support a dedicated 3G/4G connection along with using the connection provided by the phone it's connected to.

Im confussed. Doesnt the watch connect via bluetooth? I can use google maps on my android watch without needing to take my phone out. I can also respond to facebook messages. It just uses data from the phone doesnt it?

Edit: The iWatch is not a celluar device, meaning it does not need a sim card, which means it doesnt need its own data. it uses the phones data 

zhadj030
Mayor / Maire

PM is supposed to be a no frills provider, so I do not see them even thinking about it .

Need Help? Let's chat.