Did you mean: 

delete

csyin1015
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

delete 

7 REPLIES 7

helenhelen
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

instead of a burner phone, why not use the same phone but just buy a local HK SIM card for it? Or if you do not need phone service or texting, you can do what I do. I bring my phone with my cell and data off, and just use wifi wherever I can get it. You can text using free online programs or just use messaging programs like WhatsApp etc.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@csyin1015 

The international text works when you are in Canada.

Easiest way to communicate with friend and family during travel is to use WhatsApp.

Keep the same WhatsApp account with a HK phone number/SIM card. You friends and family do not know that you are using a different phone number on the other side of the globe.  Best of all is one app for text, voice and video call.  No need to look up for country code for international texts and calls.

My family members use WhatsApp for communication in Canada.  My daughter had a 2 years work assignment in Japan.  When she arrived at Tokyo, she changed SIM card to a local SIM card and changed her WhatsApp account using her new Tokyo number.  Before getting hold of a local SIM card, she continued to communicate with family using hotel or airport wifi.  We are always in contact with her.

https://faq.whatsapp.com/android/account-and-profile/changing-your-phone-number/

mpcdesign
Mayor / Maire

@csyin1015, to be honest with, it probably be cheaper for you to get a burner phone there versus using your phone with roaming turned on. My niece had her phone stolen while in HK, and she bought a burner phone there (she asked the concierge at the hotel) and they recommended a place at that time. She said the phone was decent enough and she rates. She now brings this phone with her when she travels versus having her more expensive iPhone being pick-pocketed by thieves! 

yanzhiqiang
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@computergeek541 Thanks.

@yanzhiqiang wrote:

If you go to Hong Kong, Better buy a 1 week 2 weeks or 1 month sim card with a local phone number in the airport there. Because you can only send or receive international SMS in Canada.

Global text messaging can also be sent while in the U.S. if the appropriate U.S. roaming add-on is on the account.

yanzhiqiang
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

If you go to Hong Kong, Better buy a 1 week 2 weeks or 1 month sim card with a local phone number in the airport there. Because you can only send or receive international SMS in Canada.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@csyin1015 wrote:

I am going to Hong Kong for a few weeks. My plan includes unlimited international text, does it mean I can receive SMS in Hong Kong (which is sent from a Hong Kong phone number)? Do I need addon? I just need to receive some SMS.

Public Mobile only works while in Canada or with add-ons in the US.

Suggest getting any one of the wifi texting apps like TextNow.

Need Help? Let's chat.