cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

data

LHFisher
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Why was a lot of my data used when I was on wifi and not online much. over 400 meg at one time.  Not normal.

9 REPLIES 9

@LHFisher 

I have a little plan data 250mb. A whole lotta add on data 18GB. Pm only sends out 75% and 95% data usage texts based on the entire amount of data in the account. So I'm careful to set my data warning and limiter based on my plan data and can't rely on pm's usage texts since they would warn me of a $200 mistake!

Instead I set my warning at 100mb and my limiter at 150mb and reset the limiter to 250mb if needed. I have barely touched my add on data but there have been a few times when an app that has added video content would taken a bite out of my add on data before I was able to narrow down the cause. Setting low limits allow you to be warned of higher than normal usage from an app (or disconnecting from wifi ) and adjust its settings before it consumes a much larger portion of your data.

What's more inconvenient? Resetting your data warning or limiter a couple times a month or finding out in quick succession that you have used 75% and then 95% of your data?

t_p
Mayor / Maire

One thing you can check is whether some malware has got onto your phone. Happened to me when I first subscribed to PM and installed a third party app. Little did I know that it launched the download of a bunch of games onto my phone, used up all 250MB of data in a few minutes! When I got the warning message "you have used up 95% of available data", it's already too late! 😢

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@LHFisher wrote:

Why was a lot of my data used when I was on wifi and not online much. over 400 meg at one time.  Not normal.

Hello @LHFisher ,

There can be many reasons why data is used unknowingly especially when you believe you are only using wifi service.

I got hit once with my wifi disabled, without knowing and lost quite a bit at one time.

Best to practice to DISABLE Data for the most part. Then only turn it on when needed.

@LHFisher  if you are on Android .. and if your are sure that your data was just "gone" in the past 24 or 48 hours, simply go to to Data usage on the setting, change the cycle start date to yesterday or the day before, then will see how much data was gone since that day and who is the "data killer"

Android-DataLimit.png

for long term, try to install a 3rd part app that can automatically track 30 days cycle (don't rely on  system built-in app as they only track monthly)

for andorid: Data Witness PM, Data Counter Widget

for iOS: My Data Manager

@LHFisher 

Are you looking at your daily usage pages? Data is updated in two 12 hour blocks per day. What you are looking at is 12 hours of mobile data usage.Do you use all of the data saving tools in your phone? There are quite a few software and security updates coming out be sure that these only update on wifj.

@LHFisher...what kinda phone you using ?

As previously suggested...turn OFF wifi assist on your iphone .

LHFisher
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

This is a one time thing and our wifi was good.  Can't understand why the high data usage.

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@LHFisher 

Difficult to say for sure.  The public mobile data counter is usually fairly accurate though.  Sometimes it is due to some background activity like updates to apps, etc.  Check your usage history from your phone and the PM self service account.  Wifi assist function sometimes uses up data fairly quickly (ie. if your wifi signal is weak, data is used).  

Here is a help article:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/managing-your-data-usage

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Check your settings.  You may have a setting to use data when your Wi-Fi signal is weak.

Need Help? Let's chat.