cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

data usage on phone doesn't match public mobile's page

uymai
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hey,

I ran out of data last term, so i reset my usage tracking on my phone at the start of this term (october 30), looking for some app leaking data.  yesterday i received a notification that i'd used up 75% of my data, but my phone seemed to indicate that i'd only used 64% of it.  is this common?  specifically, I'm on a 12GB plan, and my phone says i've used 7.7GB so far, but my acount says i've used 9516.936 / 12288 MB 

11 REPLIES 11

uymai

hey, so current best guess about what happened here is that public might count data sent, and my phone counts data received, so there's a chance that public sent 2 GB of data to me when my phone wasn't reachable

uymai

@ShawnC13 yeah, swing in a miss in this thread.  partly coloured with the mod response i just received telling me that my phone might not be measuring data used, and that it could only be measuring one month

@uymai, for some people it is but in your case I was being sarcastic I guess it was a fail

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

uymai

@ShawnC13 8 MBs?

YIKES WIFI assist that is a data eater!!

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

uymai

Manual reset is the default behaviour on an iPhone— I do use the wifi assist feature, but in 2 months that feature has used up 8mb (it’s also included in the 7.7 GB being reported). Sounds like I’ve got to pm a Pm mod— thanks for the tips!

imm1304
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

I was not aware of the manual reset option in data counter that goes beyond a monthly cycle. 

@NDesai is basically agreeing that this is unusual and not the norm to have such a huge difference between selfserve and the phone's built-in data counter.  

Do you use WiFi Assist feature? If yes, that may be using data while wifi connection is poor/weak.  Its a good idea to disable Wifi Assist if you don't want any mobile data being used while on wifi.  

If none of our generic advice applies to you, its best to send a private message to the mods and have a mod look into this for you.  

uymai

@NDesai that much difference not to common? its nearly 2 GB difference -- that feels like a lot to me, but its technically the answer i'm expecting

uymai

hey @imm1304 -- its not 1 months usage, its an iphone, so its a manual reset thing, with the words "last reset: Oct 30, 2017 at 6:41 AM" at the bottom

imm1304
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Hey @uymai

There should not be a huge difference between the phone's data counter and selfserve.  In my case, the difference is usually around 1-2 MB.  

Your phone's built in data counter keeps track of monthly data usage while your plan is 90-days long.  Since we are close to 60-days into your current plan cycle, its likely that the phone is only reporting 1 month's worth of usage.

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

That much difference is not so common. I recommend you to use the Data Witness app if you have android phone which is designed specially for PM users. Also, check the usage history from time to time and see if you can figure out huge chunk of data being used when you are not using it. 

Need Help? Let's chat.