cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

data usage amount

4siu
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Used 42.896 MB  showed under the add on usage page but 28 MB used  added up from the usage history page. Can anyone explain? Is MMS  including the text message which do not count data usage?

16 REPLIES 16

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@GreatCanadian wrote:

@on2wheels, if you have an android phone you'll find it in the Play Store. Just be sure to get Data Witness for Public Mobile.

@on2wheels here:  https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.iwik.datawitnesspm 

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

GreatCanadian
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@on2wheels, if you have an android phone you'll find it in the Play Store. Just be sure to get Data Witness for Public Mobile.

on2wheels
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@IWIK can you point me toward this app too?  I'd like to see what it looks like too.

I'm finding having a data plan with 500mb is barely enough to even own a smartphone and have it do basic things like staying synced to your contact list and checking gmail.  I'm already at 200mb used this month and have hardly used my phone for anything away from home.

srlawren

@4siu if you're curious about how to set up the app and what it can do, have a look at the thread I linked you previously.  I've done a run-through of the screens and how you can use it.  Cheers!

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

IWIK
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@4siu I'll PM you

4siu

can u send me the data witness download code to get it free?

IWIK
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@4siu Yea, let me know if you're interested

4siu

thanks will do

srlawren

@4siu do you have an Android phone?  If so, you may want to check out the app "Data Witness", written and provided by fellow Public Mobile customer and community memeber @IWIK.  http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/IWIK-s-quot-Data-Witness-quot-for-Andr....  It's free for Public Mobile members (just send IWIK a private message for a redemption code).  It's awesome because you can tailor it to match your PM plan's length (10/30/90 days, whatever you chose) instead of your phone's data monitor which only works based on a month.  Also, with the latest version, you can filter out your texting app(s), so that it ignores their data usage (for MMS messages).  It's worth a look.

@4siu wrote:

MMS including pictures, audio and video??

Yes

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

XJin

From Wikipedia:

"Unlike text-only SMS, MMS can deliver a variety of media, including up to forty seconds of video, one image, a slideshowof multiple images, or audio."

4siu

MMS including pictures, audio and video??

Correct, MMS uses data but that usage is not charged to your allowance; texting only plans include MMS.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

XJin

Technically MMS uses data, but I don't think it eats your data plan as I saw a post in this cummunity that says you don't need a data plan to send MMS.

4siu

35.71MB used showed under my phone which is including MMS + web browsing. Does it means MMS is counting on data use?

XJin

Hi,

The usage history page has some delay, several hours if not only update once a day.

I always consult with the add on usage page where it shows XXX MB/XXXX MB used, for the near-realtime usage, this one only has several minutes delay in most cases.

That's why I also use data monitoring apps for easier monitor the amount of data I used.

-----------------------

See a post you like? Show it some love and give it a bravo!

Bravos.png

If someone is able to deliver a great solution to your problem, mark their response as an “Accepted Solution” to appreciate the efforts of your helper Smiley Happy

AS.PNG

Need Help? Let's chat.