cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

data share with tablet

mmillis
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have a telus phone with a tablet on the same account. Can I do a data share with the phone and the tablet on the same account, or do I have to have a different account for the tablet? It has a seperate phone number

8 REPLIES 8

@mmillis wrote:

I have a telus phone with a tablet on the same account. Can I do a data share with the phone and the tablet on the same account, or do I have to have a different account for the tablet? It has a seperate phone number

Do the both devices need to he usable simultaneously at seperate locations?

If they both devices will all be at the same place, the Wi-Fi hotspot feature would work but this would use more battery power.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@mmillis wrote:

It has it's own sim card. I don't believe that phone calls can be made on it, but it can make and receive text messages. It is on my spouses telus account right now, but his contract is up and I am trying to get him to try public mobile, but not sure what to do with the tablet, if I should get the phone number changed to me (I use the tablet) or just drop the phone number altogether and use the tablet on wifi, if that is possible. 

He can use his tablet on wifi without mobile data connection.  If he wants mobile data on his tablet, he needs to create two accounts for his phone and tablet.

If you like his number used on his tablet, you can port that number to your PM account. 

@mmillis my Samsung tablet has no SIM and I have made calls using Google hangouts and Google dialer combined and TextNow over WiFi. I found out this was possible by luck. I was setting up whatsapp on my tablet using a Textnow number, could not get the stupid app to send me  a text message to activate it, so in desperation I used the call feature and it called the tablet. 

@mmillis wrote:

It has it's own sim card. I don't believe that phone calls can be made on it, but it can make and receive text messages. It is on my spouses telus account right now, but his contract is up and I am trying to get him to try public mobile, but not sure what to do with the tablet, if I should get the phone number changed to me (I use the tablet) or just drop the phone number altogether and use the tablet on wifi, if that is possible. 

mmillis
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

LovesToPM
Mayor / Maire

@mmillis 

Public Mobile offers stand-alone cell phone plans only. There are no tablet plans, data sharing plans or family plans.

If your account is with Telus, that's a dfferent company with their own plan and offers. Yes Telus does own PM and they use the same network but that's it.

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@mmillis you can enable mobile hotspot and share your data with your tablet if needed. By your tablet having it's own phone number.  Do you mean a voip app such as TextNow or Google hangouts and Google dialer combined over WiFi ? Or does it have a physical SIM slot? If it does, you could get a seperate phone number. If not, PM does not support Esims. Welcome to PM.

@mmillis wrote:

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@mmillis  Public does not support multiple plans on an account so the answer to your question is no.

You can setup a hotspot and give your tablet access to data that way or you will need to get a separate plan for your tablet.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

You won't be able to share your data plan on two different devices directly on the same account.  You could use your phone as a hotspot for your tablet  to access.

Need Help? Let's chat.