cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cant send or receive mms messages unless i put data on?

risaak
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi all - just got a sim for my daughter and i got the $15 plan that says text and photo messenging. but when she tries to send a photo to non iphone users it won't go through unless i put data on for her. I don't want her using data. at all. and it looks like they should be able to send photos without data on. anyone have advice?

7 REPLIES 7

I have the same plan for my daughter and the same issue, not wanting her to use data. Like GR mentioned, turn off all other apps except phone and iMessage in settings-celluar and then only iMessage will use data but it will be insignificant or you can turn iMessage data of too but make sure "send as SMS" is selected on, regardless of which option you go with.

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

It seems that have to have data enabled to receive such a message too. 

@risaak wrote:

Hi all - just got a sim for my daughter and i got the $15 plan that says text and photo messenging. but when she tries to send a photo to non iphone users it won't go through unless i put data on for her. I don't want her using data. at all. and it looks like they should be able to send photos without data on. anyone have advice?

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@risaak wrote:

PM MMS does not use the data in her plan.  PM is a prepaid service.  There is on overage charge.  Go ahead to enable data.

@GR blank post, cat got your tongue?!?!lol

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

XionBunny
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@risaak wrote:

Unfortunately, mms does require data to enabled in order to send those type of messages.

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@risaak wrote:

To send MMS your data needs to be turned on.  It won't count as data used against any plan data it just needs the feature turned on.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

GR
Mayor / Maire

@risaak mms works on data, iMessage works on data and WiFi. If she has an iPhone go in cellular settings and leave data on but shut off all apps except phone so that way nothing will use data except mms and iMessage and the 250 mb autopay bonus will last  because mms doesn't consume the 250mb

Need Help? Let's chat.