cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cannot receive international text from a bank overseas

ayao2913
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi,

I recently purchased the $25 plan which includes unlimited international texts.  When I logged into my overseas bank account in Hong Kong online, the bank will automatically send me a text message with a passcode for security purposes.  However I have not been able to receive the text message since I joined Public Mobile.  What could be the issue?  

10 REPLIES 10

Yamini

Did changing the format to 001+1+HK worked?

ayao2913

I will try asking my bank to change my number to 001+1+my Cdn number.  Hopefully it will work.  Otherwise if public mobile is not accepting these messages, then I will need to switch carrier again.

@ayao2913 wrote:

yes the bank knows my number is a Canadian number.  When I was with Rogers, I could receive these text messages all the time.  However once I ported my number to Public Mobile, I could no longer receive them.

@ayao2913   Maybe it would be worthwhile to login to your online banking account remove your number and then set it up again to see if you can receive the initial setup verification code. Banks have extra security checks so maybe by setting it up again it will allow you to receive the sms.

@ayao2913 

I remembered another thread about somebody NOT able to receive a code from bank from New Zealand.  Public mobile may not support HK short codes.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/Not-receiving-banking-code-SMS-from-N...

@ayao2913 wrote:

yes the bank knows my number is a Canadian number.  When I was with Rogers, I could receive these text messages all the time.  However once I ported my number to Public Mobile, I could no longer receive them.

Do you have any friends in Hong Kong? Let your friend try send your text message. I sent messages to my co-work in China, and I immediately received the messages from China.

The OP mentioned that this hasn't worked since he joined PM so is it safe to assume that it worked with their previous provider?

ayao2913

hycm53
Mayor / Maire

@ayao2913 wrote:

Hi,

I recently purchased the $25 plan which includes unlimited international texts.  When I logged into my overseas bank account in Hong Kong online, the bank will automatically send me a text message with a passcode for security purposes.  However I have not been able to receive the text message since I joined Public Mobile.  What could be the issue?  

You need tell your Hong Kong bank account when it call you or send your text message, it should dial:

001 - 1 - Area Code - Land Phone Number

001 - 1 - Area Code - Cell phone number

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@ayao2913 wrote:

Hi,

Is your HK bank know about your phone number is a Canadian number?

If no, their system may not include the correct international code to send a text message to your Canadian number.  I am guessing that their software is assuming you number is a HK number.

Had you received a text from your HK bank using a Canadian number?

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@ayao2913 

Usually, banks will send SMS short code messages for that purpose.  I don't think that Pubic Mobile recieves international short code messages.  Canadian short code, but not international.  

Here is a thread on the short code messages that Public mobile accepts:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Plans-Add-Ons/What-short-codes-are-supported-by-Publi...

Need Help? Let's chat.