cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cannot make outgoing call when I travel to 705 area and I have province wide calling

wongluk
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have province wide long distance included in my plan but do not have long distance add-on.

My home number is 416 toronto. When I travel to 705 area (James Bay) in ontario, I cannot make any outgoing call even my phone says I am on public network!! I cannot call 416 number not even local 705 number. The call won't get through and it asks me to buy long distance add-on. I can receive call with no issue however.

I tried adding +1 or 1 before the number, same message no go. My friend using other carrier has no such problem.

can Mod fix this for me??? @Moderator_Team

9 REPLIES 9

Rockdaddy22
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité
I live in the 705 and don't have any problems. Definitely something weird going on here. Please make sure you keep us updated.

int19
The same thing happened to both me and my father when trying to call up there, P0L 1A0 Attawapiskat. Both times it took mod support to solve it. For my father he wound up having a Telus tech call him to explain that it's long distance from Southern Ontario - hundreds of km! Obviously yes it is physically distant but still within Ontario and thus should be supported with the provincial only package.

However it's set up, that's not the case by default it seems. Good luck, it took him a while.

Dan
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

The fact that you can receive calls but not make calls proves that you are not on a Quebec tower (or any tower outside Ontario). On a province-wide plan, being on an out-of-province tower would disable the ability to receive calls unless you have the long distance add-on. Since you cannot make calls with the message that you need long distance add-on, it means that something is wrong with Public Mobile, and only Public Mobile can fix this (if they choose to).

I would suggust get mod involved so they look futher for you why you unable to call.
Also try rebooting device.
** I am not a Mod, please do not include any private info in a private message to me.**

wongluk

thanks  @xCameron94x@shawnie_boy

My phone is connected to "public" network so it means I am not roaming, I think.

I get incoming calls and have full use of data without any issues. I simply cant make any outgoing call....very strange.

I just downloaded Hangout and am using it in the time being.

shawnie_boy

strange, quebec isn't far but no way you connected to quebec tower.  looks like problem with PM system and thinking you are not in ontario.

wongluk

postal code here is POL 1W0

not close to Quebec border

shawnie_boy

are you on the quebec border? this is the only explanation. You must be connected to a quebec tower. Have you tried calling a quebec number?

xCameron94x
Mayor / Maire

Send them a private message:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/Updated-Contacting-our-Community-Moder...

Just explain your situation in your message

While you wait for them, you can download either google hangouts or fongo. Both give you free canada wide calling as long as your are connected to wifi or data. Just be sure you have enough data if you choose to use it over the network. Not sure how much aVoIP uses, but im sure its not much

Need Help? Let's chat.