cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can i use my phone if iam traveling to china and taiwan?

lemur
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

i will be traveling to asia, and i wanna know if i need to add a new plan to my phone?  if so whick one is the best ?  or do i need to get a new sim card for asia?

7 REPLIES 7

@srlawren$12 per day easy roam

Vs $30 for a SIM (some even cost more as the $35 above link shows)

Then a plan of 500MB is another $30

So Minimum is $60 for a measly 1GB on local carrier

And it shows $0.07 per minute of talk time

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@kav2001c at $12 per 24 hours on international Easy Roam [capped to $150 per billing cycle], unless your trip is pretty short, you're likely going to spend a LOT more on Easy Roam than a local SIM.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

I doubt it

Its cheaper to use Koodo easy roam than it is to buy a Chinese SIM

Telus even has *FREE* roaming included in many of their premium plans

Not very likely Public would end up costing even more

Too many people always assuming Canadian roaming rates are terrible

I even posted a link to Chinese provider right above your response

@dna2016 wrote:

Even if PM offered roaming in asia, I'm sure it would have been much cheaper just to get a local SIM over there anyways.

dna2016
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@lemur, PM only provides North America roaming, so if you're visiting asia then you'll need to make sure your phone is unlocked and works on the frequency there, then get a local SIM over there.  

Even if PM offered roaming in asia, I'm sure it would have been much cheaper just to get a local SIM over there anyways.

kav2001c
Mayor / Maire

Can always grab a Chinese prepay SIM while over there

https://www.china-mobile-phones.com/china-3g-sim-card.html

RobertQc
Mayor / Maire

@lemurPublic mobile uses Bell/Telus network in Canada, and AT&T/T-Mobile (with a roaming package) in the U.S.A

Your service will not work outside USA/Canada.

There are many pre-paid asia sim cards you can buy 1 time for your trip.

Dunkgirl
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@lemur wrote:

i will be traveling to asia, and i wanna know if i need to add a new plan to my phone?  if so whick one is the best ?  or do i need to get a new sim card for asia?

@lemurNo. Public mobile is Canada only and extends to U.S.A with a US roaming package.

If you go outside USA/Canada you will need a new sim card by another provider. Make sure your phone supports the network frequencies of that provider. Not all phones from Canada will work in Asia.

Need Help? Let's chat.