Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can i buy us roaming for longer then 10 days

bka1948
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

14 REPLIES 14

Chipster
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

My son was in the USA May - Aug. He used Boost Mobile during that time.

He just returned to the USA for school - I always get him the 10 day roaming package so he has something to keep him connected.

Anyways, he just called to tell me he signed up for Mint Mobile 😂 this time around.

just checked.. I think Numberbarn is $2/month and $5 one time fee.  

Fongo is $25 one time charge to port in  and free to port out after 3 months.  

So, Fongo might be a better deal after 10 months.  Anything added value is that you can keep using the number with it's VoIP app.   Something to think about. 

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@bka1948 

Here is some info about US roaming add ons that should help you.....

1. While you have to have an active plan to purchase and use US roaming add ons the type of plan you have does not affect the roaming add ons features.
  2. US roaming add ons start the moment you confirm and submit your purchase in your self serve account and expire 240 hours later (10 days×24 hours).
  3. You can pre-load the funds needed to purchase the add ons in your self serve account so you only have to log in, select the US roaming add on and then confirm and submit your purchase.
  4. Wait til late as possible to purchase since they are immediately valid so on free wifi at the destination airport or stopping shortly before the border at mcd's or timmy's to buy the add on while on free wifi.
  5. If you are staying longer than 10 days you must wait a minimum of 24 hours to purchase the same US roaming add on or contact the moderators to add it before the waiting period ends.
  6. If you have two US roaming add ons with a talk feature that overlap the talk feature basically gets disabled. Avoid this....but you will have to get one removed by a moderator to get your calling feature back if this happens.
  7. After purchase reboot your phone and manually select either at&t or T-mobile to get better reception. Some areas have better coverage by either provider so when travelling around the US you will be better served by choosing the provider with better signal strength by locale.
  8. You will recieve incoming texts without any US roaming add ons. Adding the fongo app and textnow app for use on wifi are good to use for a back up plan or you could call forward your pm phone # to your fongo # before you leave Canada and purchase just the US data roaming add on. Fongo also works on mobile data (1 min=0.5mb/100 min=50mb) so you could still recieve incoming pm texts, recieve incoming pm calls to your fongo #/app, outgoing calls from your fongo number and outgoing  texts from textnow for free or small fee from fongo.
  9. All US roaming add ons have either unlimted text, talk or both. Only data has limits depending on your purchase 250mb/500mb/1gb. Once the data is consumed it will just stop you could then purchase different roaming add on, wait 24 hr to buy or contact the moderator to buy the same US roaming add on again. (* except talk as previously mentioned.)

Mint mobile is an excellent option.

@walker1 

Thanks for the tip about B&H Photo.

Edit:

@Chipster 

...and thanks for the e-sim tip too!😃

pkaraa
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

add-on for US every 10 days. 

if it is too much of work then you can try that mint option described above.  

Newer Apple iPhones and Google Pixel devices can use an eSIM.

Chipster
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Depending on your phone model, Mint also provides an eSIM. That way you don't need to wait for a physical SIM.

@softech   You can buy mint mobile sim card and plan packages from BH photo.com located in the USA and they will ship it to you in Canada, no problem 👍.  Very convenient 😉

@Triguy look good.  All price USD, right?   you tried?  We can activate ahead in Canada and use Canadian Visa?   do they  send SIM to Canada or we have to buy it when in States?

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Check mintmobile.com who offer longer term roaming options.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@bka1948 : The roaming add-ons are a bit quirky. Particularly talk. Do not buy more than one talk component whether in a bundle or alone. I might suggest the same with texting just because. You can buy different named buckets of data once you've consumed one bucket. But the first one still needs to wait the 10 - 24 hour periods.

The roaming add-ons are 10 - 24 hour periods with the quirk of a waiting period to re-buy the same one. Or as mentioned you can ask the CSA's to renew it without waiting.

If you can wait it out, you could help some regulars to verify exactly when you can re-buy.

1. Immediately after the 10 - 24 hour periods

2. After midnight ET after that 10th 24 hour period or before #3

3. After 24 hours after that 10th 24 hour period

4. After midnight ET after that other 24 hour period

We're quite certain it's not #1 but try it anyway if you wish to do any of this. I still wonder if #2 would work. We might be confident that #3 is the one. I doubt it has to go all the way to #4.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

no, you cannot. 

Make sure you aware that once you bought it, it will start counting 10 days from there.  You have to wait till 10 days later to buy the next 10 days.  but if you used up the data/minutes before the 10 days, you will have to open a ticket for PM t assist buying early.

if you need quite some data or minutes or need it for long time ,   consider buying prepaid plan from US carriers

bka1948
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

thanks you

@bka1948  to buy the same package right after, I think you have to get help from a CSA from PM to help with that.

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@bka1948 

Unfortunately, no.  Only 10 day roaming packages.  Once the 10 day runs out, then you can purchase another 10 day package.  

Need Help? Let's chat.