cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can I get text/phone call in Japan?

tagosaku
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi, I moved to Japan from Canada.  And I bought international call/text and thought the public mobile could be used by roaming for a while, but not. 

Question is , can I still use  text/phone call in Japan with my existing Canadian phone number by roaming? 

If not, how can I refund the add-on "international call/text $15" ?   And where is the link of "cancel membership" ?

Thanks,

7 REPLIES 7

@HALIMACS 

It will be interesting if the OP does get the credit. Then if they do pass the sim card along to someone travelling here or a friend already here who gets a $3 sim card from CCS and schedules a plan change or is already on the $15 plan then that person would get a free month.

@tagosaku 

If you do get a credit and someone takes over your account make sure you schedule a plan change on next renewal to the $15 plan ( if you are not already on that plan). Then remove your credit card but on the last day of your current cycle suspend your service via lost/stolen. This will prevent the system from using your balance ( $15 credit) to pay for your next renewal. Then when you or a friend is ready to reactivate the service sometime in the next 89 days the funds are there to pay for it.

@tagosaku wrote:

Triguy, hairbag1, hairbag1, Nezgar

Thank you so much for your replies!! I am going to write to  Moderator_Team. and will see how it goes.

best regards

Indeed, you've received the correct replies, @tagosaku 

If you haven't already, I would recommend completely removing any payment/credit card which may still be registered on the account.  This way NO FURTHER renewal payments will process against the account and the account will self-cancel in a few months.

As for the add-on which had been purchased, it's worth a shot with the Moderators however if you're already in Japan with the subject phone & Public Mobile SIM, even if they were to move the cost of the add-on to your Available Funds, it's just going to expire anyway.

I like the recommendation from @darlicious to 'lend' your service to someone currently in Canada, however unless you have worthwhile Loyalty and Referral rewards built up on the account, it's hardly worthy of the process of someone else to acquire a SIM card to swap out and continue your account.

Please report back what the Moderators advise, if you would.

tagosaku
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Triguy, hairbag1, hairbag1, Nezgar

Thank you so much for your replies!! I am going to write to  Moderator_Team. and will see how it goes.

best regards

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Unfortunately, PM only offers roaming in the US.  You could either but a local sim or use Wi-Fi apps like Textnow, Skype, Signal, or Fongo.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@tagosaku....

your PM services won't work outside of Canada or US. You won't get a refund for whatever you've prepaid for. The error wasn't a Public Mobile error.

To cancel your PM account, just remove your credit card from your account and disable Autopay. After your current plan expires it won't renew...after 90 days, your account will close for good. You'd need a new sim to start a new account when you return to Canada.

Alternative is to send a private message to moderators of your desire to close the account.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

We'll be here when you get back.

@tagosaku 

Do you plan on returning to Canada? If not do have anyone coming to Canada to give the sim card to that could use it? Or someone in Canada that could order a cheap sim card from Canadian Cell Supplies and have you change your account info and the sim card # so they can take over your service and account?

If any of these scenarios might work then it would be worth asking for a credit to your account but a refund is very unlikely. You can suspend your service for up to 89 days and pay and renew your service for 30 days and suspend again if you want to save your number. Otherwise getting value out of your mistaken purchase is low in this situation.

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

@tagosaku wrote:

Hi, I moved to Japan from Canada.  And I bought international call/text and thought the public mobile could be used by roaming for a while, but not. 

Question is , can I still use  text/phone call in Japan with my existing Canadian phone number by roaming? 

If not, how can I refund the add-on "international call/text $15" ?   And where is the link of "cancel membership" ?

Public Mobile service only works while in Canada, and with a roaming add-on, in the USA. Service will not work in any other country. You can call other countries such as Japan with the "300 International Long Distance Minutes" add-on you purchased for $15 - which is for use while you are in Canada.

Public Mobile's official policy is that they don't offer refunds, but you can try to message the moderators to see if they will at least credit the add-on back to your account balance.

Need Help? Let's chat.