cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

calling united states

keithBwalker
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

hey folks, i have a fairly basic plan that includes canada wide calling and international texts but not calls to the united states. Do you know of a way to call the US without paying a huge fee?

Thanks

Keith

9 REPLIES 9

DDM69
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I know it won't help you right now but Public does offer a free Christmas give away each year.  Normally this includes extra data and 400-500 long distance minutes.  These will stay with your account until they are completely used up.  No expiry.  

One of the many perks of being with Public Mobile. 😁

@will13am wrote:

Add google hangouts/voice to the list of free options.  

Not that I know anything about google hang outs......I keep getting warnings when I go into my gmail settings that it is being discontinued. 

Screen Shot 2021-02-15 at 8.58.50 PM.png

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@keithBwalker wrote:

hey folks, i have a fairly basic plan that includes canada wide calling and international texts but not calls to the united states. Do you know of a way to call the US without paying a huge fee?

Thanks

Keith

From home Wi-Fi, I have used smart devices like Google Home, Amazon Echo.   They can make calls almost anywhere in North America.   It's quite excellent voice quality and COMPLETELY FREE once you have the device.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Add google hangouts/voice to the list of free options.  

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

@keithBwalker 

Add-ons are very affordable.

If you do tones of calling, hangouts has the best sound and it can use your cell number for display. But they are shutting down hangouts.

Next best thing is TextNow IF you off the elastic calling, it's in the settings easy to find. It helps you move from network and data to WiFi without disconnecting but it's unnecessary if you are on your home wifi and he does affect the sound.

@keithBwalker wrote:

Thanks

Keith

If you need unlimited calls (if the add-on mintues wouldn't be enough) to the United States and do not want to use internet to make the calls, the only option at Public Mobile would be to subsribe to Public Mobile's current $50 plan.

The add on carries over month to month and the cost per minute is reasonable at a cent and a half. 

Telus land line is 5 cents a minute. 

Camera4617
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@keithBwalker  If you can call from WiFi (or have enough data), I'd suggest using TextNow app. It is free to call anywhere in Canada or USA. But if you must call from your phone number, then you can buy an add-on in Self Service.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

You can buy you US calling add on..1000 mins for $15

or.. you can try to use Whatsapp calls /Facebook voice calls or other service like that.

Need Help? Let's chat.