cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

calling USA from Canada

Keithch
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello,

I'm a relatively new user and I will need to call USA from Canada for the first time next week. Could someone please guide me in the right direction ? I'm on a $35 plan 1GB now. I just need to make a half an hour phone call and that's it for some time. 

1. Am I able to do it with my current plan ? If so, what are the per minute extra charges ?

2. If not, what other apps can I install on my phone to call a landline or mobile in the USA ? not sure what's the best cost effective options .

thank you in advance,

K.

15 REPLIES 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

@kainova wrote:

How do i ask a mod to refund me the silly purchase lol?

If you think you might ever call any of the countries then you could keep it. It'll just stay on your account until you finish it. Buy once, consume over time.

@kainova wrote:

Click on the chatbot bubble bottom right of screen and follow prompts or click the envelope icon top right next to your avatar and send a private message to Moderator_Team.

kainova
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

kainova

thanks folks - lifesavers!

@kainova 

this is the one you would need to get:

hTideGnow_0-1621359001187.png

Also, make sure you remember you have to add enough fund onto your account first before buying. 

Not sure if you have already bought the International minutes by mistakes.  You might be able to check with Mod to change but it is all up to the Mod to decide if they will do it.  Also, it might take time.  If you need the minute urgently, you might want to buy the US minutes first

Anonymous
Not applicable

@kainova : You need the 1000 minute US add-on. (or the $50 plan)

kainova

Trying to call the US from Canada right now (urgently), but the message still says i dont have an addon. Under my purchased add ons its showing the -

• 300 International Long Distance Minutes

But still no luck - anyone able to assist?

Yes, the $8 roaming add-on only works while you are in the US.  The $15 long distance add-on is for calling the US while in Canada.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jeanetta : Two options while in Canada: 1. buy the add-on, 2. get the $50 plan. You're right...roaming is for while IN the US.

Jeanetta

I have pretty much the exact same question (& am also new) but I wonder if the answer has changed since this was written?

In the add ons I see 1000 US long distance min for $15

or US roaming unlimited talk (10 day) for $8.

I may not understand correctly: roaming would just be if I was IN the US right? If I’m in Canada and want to call to the US my only option is the $15 plan?

many thanks

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Keithch what did you decide on doing?

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Keithch

THank you all for your replies. Much appreciated. 🙂

@Keithch wrote:

Hello,

I'm a relatively new user and I will need to call USA from Canada for the first time next week. Could someone please guide me in the right direction ? I'm on a $35 plan 1GB now. I just need to make a half an hour phone call and that's it for some time. 

1. Am I able to do it with my current plan ? If so, what are the per minute extra charges ?

2. If not, what other apps can I install on my phone to call a landline or mobile in the USA ? not sure what's the best cost effective options .

thank you in advance,

K.

If this is just a one-time thing, I would just use the Hangouts Dialer app that z10user4 metinoed.  The call will be free.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@Keithch wrote:

Hello,

thank you in advance,

K.

Your options with Public Mobile are well defined by @Anonymous .

You can also download an app called TextNow that works good as long as you have a robust wifi signal...and it's free. I'm sure there's others too but I've used TextNow and happy with the results.

Good luck.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Keithch wrote:

Hello,

thank you in advance,

K.

1. No.

2. There's the 200 minute add-on for $8 that will stay on your account until you use it all.

You could also do a change plan to the Canada/US one.

There are those calling card services you can buy at convenience stores where you call a toll free number, enter a code from the card then call the number you want.

There are apps like Hangouts that are voice over internet protocol (voip).

Need Help? Let's chat.