Did you mean: 

calling England

123magic
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

how can i call UK 

23 REPLIES 23

@darlicious wrote:

@LurganIeUk 

Pm doesn't distinguish between landlines and mobile phones. There are some "exchanges" that can't be called similar ti the exempt ones for the US but they are few and far between. When I was reviewing long distance rates using Ireland as one of my comparison I think only fido had two rates a couple of cents to landlines but I think it was $0.18/min to mobile phones.

Right, but they do exclude some numbers. And there has to be a reason. And it is likely a cost issue.  As mentioned VoIP.ms has various rates to call England and if I recall it is based on the service (company) you call into. And I do know from having to fix my MIL’s phone bill that calling from a Telus land line to a land line in England is significantly less than calling a mobile number in England. If it is that important  OP should bite the bullet and buy add on and will have for future use. But....you know......I don’t think we have ever made a call out of North America.....and you know how old I am. 

Can the OP:

Use Skype, using a Skype phone number?

FaceTime audio only?

Or?

@LurganIeUk 

Pm doesn't distinguish between landlines and mobile phones. There are some "exchanges" that can't be called similar ti the exempt ones for the US but they are few and far between. When I was reviewing long distance rates using Ireland as one of my comparison I think only fido had two rates a couple of cents to landlines but I think it was $0.18/min to mobile phones.

So the better deal is the PM add on “if” the numbers are on the ok to call list. 

@LurganIeUk wrote:

Yes...I think calling to cell phones may be a higher cost than to a land line. 

An example (non-working) mobile number indeed shows as 0.3c/min: +44 7700 900470

voip.ms rates seem to be all over the place depending on number.. Anywhere from 0.79c/min up to to 38c/min (USD): https://voip.ms/en/rates/international

Rebtel 2c/min CAD, to 4c/min for most mobile numbers.

Goldline/Shaw prepaid long distance: 2c/min for landlines, to 3.5c/min for most mobile numbers

@Nezgar 

Free to call and free admission!

20180406_163431.jpg

@Nezgar wrote:

@RosieR  - well, some numbers are definitely free 😋- maybe landlines. IE the British Museum in London worked just now for me:

Screenshot_20210414-214053.png

LOL @Nezgar let's hope the OP is thinking of calling the British Museum in London.  It's free 😁

@Helpershelper wrote:

@123magic 

Once you buy the long-distance add-on you can call using the following method:

Land Phone Number 011 - 44 - Area Code -

Cell Number 011 - 44 - 10

Since a cell phone is being used, I would dial it as +44 and then the number.  011 is no longer needed and in some cases, doesn't always work. 

@Nezgar wrote:

@RosieR  - well, some numbers are definitely free 😋- maybe landlines. IE the British Museum in London worked just now for me:

Yes...I think calling to cell phones may be a higher cost than to a land line. 

Get a voip.ms account. Then load the APP Zoiper on your phone. It turns your mobile phone into a soft phone. You can set up caller it to be your PM number. My battery is dying!!!!

Buy a DID for around 80 cents a month and then check the inbound/outbound rates to England. Then you can use for other calls as well over Data OR Wifi. 

edit. You don’t have to know the voip.ms inbound rates if your caller if is your  PM  account.  

@Nezgar wrote:

You can call many numbers in the UK for free with the TextNow app over WiFi. Give it a try -- if it doesn't work for the particular number you are trying to call, then there's still no money wasted...

Hi @Nezgar TextNow seem to charge for international calls, other than Canada and the US

terxtnow charges for calls to UK.png

but I could be wrong since I don't use Textnow.

RosieR

You can call many numbers in the UK for free with the TextNow app over WiFi. Give it a try -- if it doesn't work for the particular number you are trying to call, then there's still no money wasted...

@123magic 

Take solace in the fact that most providers toll rate to the UK without a monthly fee ( $5-$7)to access cheaper rates is $1.50/min. So paying the toll rate for 10 min would cost $15. Your other option other than a calling app would be to purchase a calling card that would likely have a $0.01-$0.02 rate per minute. You would still use outgoing calling minutes on the $15 plan so having the $5/500min calling add on may be necessary as well. It may be more convenient to add the $15/1000 UK minutes and know you will be able to call the UK for the rest of your lifetime (?) with pm?

@LurganIeUk 

The $15/1000 UK minutes will not be used for any other calling minutes than intended. Only the old $15/400  international long distance minutes add on and the 2 "more the merrier" holiday international calling minutes add ons will be used for US or Canada calling minutes in addition to their international destinations.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@123magic : There used to be just one international add-on that included a limited list of countries and Canada/US/UK. But somewhat recently, they split out several countries and added more but they're in their own add-on. The UK is one of them.

@123magic wrote:

just need to make one call 

can i not just pay the current toll charge

"IF" you buy the Add-On 

and 

"IF" you are on the $15 plan 

I do believe the add on minutes will work for Canada Wide calls once you use your 100 minutes.  

Some others may want to verify on that.  

Helpershelper
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@123magic 

Once you buy the long-distance add-on you can call using the following method:

Land Phone Number 011 - 44 - Area Code -

Cell Number 011 - 44 - 10

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@123magic....

follow the above provided suggestion to get this add-on applied to your account...that you can use to call UK.

1000 U.K. Long Distance Minutes....$15

EDIT...I gotta learn to type a lot faster !!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@123magic wrote:

There's no pay as you go here. You could use a voip app or get one of those calling cards.

123magic
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Anonymous
Not applicable

@123magic wrote:

how can i call UK 

You need to buy the UK calling add-on. Log in to your self-serve. Deposit the price (if you don't have enough Available Funds). Buy the add-on. It's a little non-intuitive as it sorta looks like you'd think you've bought the add-on but you've only just added the money.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

You would need to purchase a $15 add-on.

1000 U.K. Long Distance Minutes - $15

Calls made to numbers starting with the following UK codes are not included in UK calling from Canada and will not be completed when dialled: 4470, 44870-44879, 44843-44845.

To purchase Add-Ons using your Self-Serve account, follow these steps:

1. Click on ‘Purchase Add- Ons’ on the Overview tab and scroll down to the Add-On calculator.
  2. Click the plus sign (+) to add and the minus sign (-) to remove selected Add-ons.
  3. When you’ve added all your desired Add-Ons, click ‘Buy Add-Ons’ or ‘Make a Payment’ below the calculator:
    • You will see ‘Make a Payment’ instead of ‘Buy Add-Ons’ if there are not enough funds in your account to make the purchase.
    • If you don’t have sufficient funds to purchase the Add-Ons, you will be asked to make a one-time payment equal to the price of the Add-On, less your current available funds. Click ‘Submit’, then ‘Go back’: now the button below the calculator will say ‘Buy Add-Ons’.
  4. Select ‘Confirm my purchase’, and you’re off to the races!

Quigley
Mayor / Maire

@123magic @You'll have to have an international call addon first to do that. You can buy that from your self service account.

Need Help? Let's chat.