cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

background data

Vazir
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

If I disable background data what am I going to loose ?  Can I still make out-going calls, receive in-coming calls, receive whatsapp messages and check emails, etc. when I don't have WiFi ?

10 REPLIES 10

DOA
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Vazir wrote:

If I disable background data what am I going to loose ?  Can I still make out-going calls, receive in-coming calls, receive whatsapp messages and check emails, etc. when I don't have WiFi ?

Android 7 and up has data saver mode which works really well.  I use that and block backround data at the app level for the few apps that really hog it (looking at you, Chrome browser).

@will13am wrote:

I wish android would include a firewall app as part of the OS.  I like to run rooted devices so I can use a firewall. 

Check out "NoRoot Firewall" for Android. It requires... no root. 🙂

It uses the VPN API which I think is a novel workaround, but it effectively captures all network activity while active and allows blocking by app, DNS, etc.

Imvc

Turning off background data means any app needing data won't be synced until you actually open the app. So you won't be get notifications of/from emails, Facebook, Snapchat, Twitter, Instagram, etc. unless you actually open those apps. Depending on your phone setting, you can restrict background data for each app. For texts and calls, they don't need data so you'll still receive those even with background data off. 

Vazir

Thanks

Vazir

Thank you

@CannonFodder wrote:

@geopublic wrote:

@Vazir wrote:

receive whatsapp messages and check emails, etc. when I don't have WiFi ? Yes.

Uhm.... are you SURE emails will still be accessible without WiFi, and data turned off? I would think that email would require access to data in one way or the other.....

On android, background data is controlled at the app level.  You can disable background data per app and only allow it for apps such as email and chat.  Often when an app should not have data, it should not have data unconditionally rather than conditionally.  I wish android would include a firewall app as part of the OS.  I like to run rooted devices so I can use a firewall. 

@CannonFodder Depends how one's phone defines "background" data. On my iPhone that can refer to app updates when an app is not in use; hence, in the background.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

@geopublic wrote:

@Vazir wrote:

Uhm.... are you SURE emails will still be accessible without WiFi, and data turned off? I would think that email would require access to data in one way or the other.....

YVR
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Vazir wrote:

If I disable background data what am I going to loose ?  Can I still make out-going calls, receive in-coming calls, receive whatsapp messages and check emails, etc.

when I don't have WiFi ?

Your phone calls (in and out) and text messages will work with background data disabled

Generally I believe that background data being disabled may stop whats app messages and push emails WITHOUT WiFi.  You would have to try because it might depend where you disable background settings and also they type of phone / android version you have. Others might know this answer

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@Vazir wrote:

If I disable background data what am I going to loose ?  Can I still make out-going calls, receive in-coming calls,

@Vazir  Yes, data is seperate from call and texts.

Need Help? Let's chat.