cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Yet another US Roaming Question

WannaCall
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

We are heading to the states tomorrow.  I purchased the $60 plan with Unlimited Talk to Canada and the US.  I view my plan and it shows the proper plan with US talk./text.

I have been reading some bad postings about roaming not working in the US and the failed attempts at getting help.  I am a little worried it might not work for me.

I am confused about what I am to do once I get to the states.  I do know I need to turn roaming on - no problem.  But do I need to set another APN, or somehow select AT&T or T-Mobile?

I have an S6, wifey as iPhone5

Thanks for the help.

7 REPLIES 7

lukevader
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Don't freak when you get a roaming charges bubble may apply when you first get on their network. Just ignore it and continue on.

WannaCall
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thank everyone for the quick response.   Turn on roaming, select network and reboot.  That'll be the recipe!

@WannaCall When we took our iPhone 6 to florida it was being a little finicky it showed AT&T but wouldn't work so i restarted the phone and all was good. Same thing when we came back. Just for info, something to try if you are having issues.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@WannaCall  Nothing needs to be done. Once you cross the border your phone will automatically connect to either AT&T or T-Mobile depending on signal strength and everything should continue to work as normal.

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

@WannaCallFor iPhone everything should be seamless no APN to fiddle about if you have updated to the latest iOS for the phone. However AT&T coverage would be better for that phone vs TMobile. However depending on where you go, there are a lot of spots in the US that don't have coverage.. so it is best to check for the coverage of both network at where you go.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@WannaCall , there is no need to touch the APN settings as they are to pair with the SIM card in the phone which isn't changing.  When in the US, make sure the phone is able to connect to the partner network automatically.  Search for partner network manually and connect if necessary.  Turn on roaming data and that is about it.  Have a safe trip.  

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@WannaCall wrote:

We are heading to the states tomorrow.  I purchased the $60 plan with Unlimited Talk to Canada and the US.  I view my plan and it shows the proper plan with US talk./text.

I have been reading some bad postings about roaming not working in the US and the failed attempts at getting help.  I am a little worried it might not work for me.

I am confused about what I am to do once I get to the states.  I do know I need to turn roaming on - no problem.  But do I need to set another APN, or somehow select AT&T or T-Mobile?

I have an S6, wifey as iPhone5

Thanks for the help.

Whichever account has the US plan...when you arrive, you can manually select either AT&T or T-Mobile. Use whichever network works best for you. Restart your phone. Should be good to go.

Need Help? Let's chat.