cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wonder if PM will increase data limit to their plan

softech
Oracle
Oracle

PM has a been a good provider for low usage customers... 

However, since pandemic, I see many providers increasing their data limit to their plan or lowering price.  For example, I see some Fido $40 plan with 4GB (or 6GB)  of 4G data, Zoomer has $36 for 5GB.  while the lower price plan on PM still very competitive (eg, I don't any other providers has $25 for 1GB data at all), the high price plan is no longer good, especially they  are all on 3G data.  Just hope PM sees that and will adjust accordingly.  For example, Zoomer is one that focused on $36-$50 plan and they have been keep increasing their data limit to make them competitive.  I don't think I see much change with PM in the past years.

15 REPLIES 15

@Pahomu   You are on the old plan.  with the old $25 plan, you only get 1GB if you have Autopay enabled. and 500MB if there is no Autopay

I think it still follow the old plan details, but you can open ticket with PM Support to confirm

Pahomu
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Will data change automatically in my $25 plan to 1 gb

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@gpixel wrote:

@softech 

this is how companies get you. then you need to upgrade plans because you've downloaded a whole YouTube video within seconds even though you didn't watch it...

Exactly what will happen for someone with a latest fastest smartphone. 

With the LTE low latency around 5 second, people cannot stop the download by the time people realized that they touch the wrong link on the smartphone.  People with 2GB data plan will quickly used up their data.

I prefer the LTE capped 3Mbps.

@softech 

these are ok plans.. but i guess other providers like Fido/zoomer has similar plans but with LTE instead of just 3G.  

I guess PM should consider going back to regular LTE plan for those.

the fido plans are promos. they aren't the base plan. the fido $45/4gb is really $45/1gb. I know when you hear full LTE most people get their ******* wet. but, why would you want speed that will download videos fast? 

Estimated data consumption per hour (YouTube):
360p 315MB
480p 562MB
720p(30fps) 1.27GB+
1080p(30fps) 2.03GB+
4k(30fps) 10.58GB+

this is how companies get you. then you need to upgrade plans because you've downloaded a whole YouTube video within seconds even though you didn't watch it...

it's important to know how to save data first, then assess if you really need more data. with LTE always on, I've been averaging about 1.6gb/week (no video streaming or app downloads. only web browsing)

popping

@NDesai wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

@NDesai wrote:

PM has become very different in a way they offer promos for the past couple of years. They really do not want to change their current offerings and rarely add any good promotional plan to the list. How many limited time deals have we seen already? I am against those type deals (ie. $10 off for 6 months or 1GB data for 6 months). They would rather offer customers to move to Koodo or Telus. So don't expect PM to change their current offerings with more data anytime soon. 

Promotions that offer discounts or bonuses for a preset amount of time result in many of the customers leaving after that time. A subscriber count boost due to such promo can often be articfical and temporary. I believe that better, permanent price plans to be far more important.

Specially during the sale season such as the upcoming Black Friday. I would think they will offer something nice to hold some customers on the fence to switch to another providers offering much better deals including phones with additional credit. 

Last BF/Boxing week, PM gave us free 1GB data and 400 international minutes add-ons was nice.

To keep current subscribers, $10 or $20 referrer one time credit is the best way to keep subscribers from leaving.

@popping wrote:

@softech 

PM has $48 8.5GB plan with autopay which is better than the offers you mentioned.

If you want cheaper plan, PM has $38 5GB plan with autopay. 

these are ok plans.. but i guess other providers like Fido/zoomer has similar plans but with LTE instead of just 3G.  

I guess PM should consider going back to regular LTE plan for those.

yes.. i agree.. the $1 anniversary is a sweet deal.. many providers, esp Rogers/Bell , will "celebrate" the anniversary with a price increase instead.LoL

Helpershelper
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@softech 

I can understand your frustration with this. I regularly compare plans like this and for the majority who are at home all day with free Wi-Fi, they need maybe 1-2 GB a month. PM is better able to compete with this data segment offering the lowest price. Now if you need more than 4GB then you’ll find cheaper plans in person at your local stores like Wireless Wave or even the local Fido store. Now if you’re outside your home a lot and need fast data for some reason then it’s ok to switch to another provider. For the vast majority, nobody will notice the slightly slower speeds. Also considering you’ve been with us for over a year, I don’t think you mind the 3G speeds.

@Dunkman wrote:

Who knows what the future will hold though?  I did find that actually with the pandemic, my data use actually lowered.  I downgraded a few of my family plans since most of the time, we are at home anyways with internet access.  

yes.. many people stayed home and hence many providers has to try to give more data or lower price to steal customers during this quiet season.

my family members were looking to change from their current providers but held off because of WFH.  they just hope PM to have a better plan around $35 or $40 before they will jump in .

@computergeek541 wrote:

@NDesai wrote:

PM has become very different in a way they offer promos for the past couple of years. They really do not want to change their current offerings and rarely add any good promotional plan to the list. How many limited time deals have we seen already? I am against those type deals (ie. $10 off for 6 months or 1GB data for 6 months). They would rather offer customers to move to Koodo or Telus. So don't expect PM to change their current offerings with more data anytime soon. 

Promotions that offer discounts or bonuses for a preset amount of time result in many of the customers leaving after that time. A subscriber count boost due to such promo can often be articfical and temporary. I believe that better, permanent price plans to be far more important.

Specially during the sale season such as the upcoming Black Friday. I would think they will offer something nice to hold some customers on the fence to switch to another providers offering much better deals including phones with additional credit. 

popping

@softech 

PM has $48 8.5GB plan with autopay which is better than the offers you mentioned.

If you want cheaper plan, PM has $38 5GB plan with autopay.  For every year with PM, you get another $1 off your plan to a maximum of $5/cycle off after 5 years.  For the other providers, good luck to get a reduction as you will be happy if they do not raise your plan price.

PM is prepaid, no credit check and no 2 years contract requirement which are important for me.  If you lock yourself to a 2 years contract, you will not be able to move to a better plan without paying off your contract first. 

For the last 1½ years, PM gave me free 7GB data, 400 International minutes and 1000 Canada Wide minutes add-ons just being a PM subscriber.

mh1983
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Meh, I still think they're just fine, especially on the low end. Like someone else mentioned, I'm home more and just use WiFi any ways. If I need more data, I can always use an add on.

I get the desire to want more data for less but why couldn't you just jump over to those companies if they offer the right plan for you? There's a lot more lateral freedom to go to a provider that you prefer. Comparing low, mid, and high tier providers is like comparing apples, oranges, and cumquats. 

@NDesai wrote:

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

@softech Anything that might be done would be introduced as a new plan. It's very unlikely that it would be automatic.  As to Public Mobile releasing plans with more data, they have done so in the past, but I would not expect Public to react to the likes of Zoomer or Freedom. I would say that if Chatr or Lucky offers more data, so will Public. Who would move first is anyone's guess, but my opinion is that Public Mobile has never really paid that close attention to Zoomer.

The reason for beng at Public Mobile is clear. If you're going for, and arble to gain many account rewards, there isn't a lower price. However, if that's not the case, and are willing or are able to have a credit check performed on you and are okay with postpaid service, Public Mobile's plans are no longer competitive (no call centre, no unlimited data, slower data speeds, less data).

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@softech 

Public mobile likely won't directly compete for Telus/Koodo plans (with larger data allotments).  I agree that Public mobile plans are well suited for lower end users of data, but with larger data plans, Public mobile plans are  just not competitive enough.  

Who knows what the future will hold though?  I did find that actually with the pandemic, my data use actually lowered.  I downgraded a few of my family plans since most of the time, we are at home anyways with internet access.  

Need Help? Let's chat.