cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will I be able to receive SMS text messages while travelling outside the US/Canada

floflo86
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi community, 

I'm looking for information on whether or not a Public Mobile SIM works outside of Canada/US, as I can't find any information on this topic.

For example, let's say I'm travelling to France. Will I be able to receive SMS text messages and calls while in France? Or will my Public Mobile SIM not work altogether.

I know there are no add-ons for this, but there is also no information as to what happens when you travel on a Public Mobile SIM.

Any information would be appreciated 🙂

8 REPLIES 8

mh1983
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@kselmak wrote:

@floflo86 

Consider getting TextNow phone number and pass it around as your alternative number, it's totally free and you can receive/make calls and texts over WiFi or local data

This was already suggested 30 min before your post.

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

@floflo86 

Consider getting TextNow phone number and pass it around as your alternative number, it's totally free and you can receive/make calls and texts over WiFi or local data

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

No @floflo86 PM will not work outside of Canada or the US. Try adding a voip app such as TextNow and use it over WiFi to make/ receive/ send  calls and texts anywhere there is WiFi available back to Canada. Stay safe. 

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

PM only has US roaming.  You can buy a local sim or use Gigsky.  If you have access to wifi then you could use apps like Textnow or WhatsApp.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

Your PublicMobile features will not work outside of Canada. An Add-on will let it work in US...but nowhere else will work.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@floflo86 wrote:

Hi community, 

I'm looking for information on whether or not a Public Mobile SIM works outside of Canada/US, as I can't find any information on this topic.

For example, let's say I'm travelling to France. Will I be able to receive SMS text messages and calls while in France? Or will my Public Mobile SIM not work altogether.

I know there are no add-ons for this, but there is also no information as to what happens when you travel on a Public Mobile SIM.

@floflo86  The answer is no it will not work. Public Mobile works in Canada and in the US if you purchase a US roaming add-on. Roaming to other countries is not possible.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@floflo86 

All services work only in Canada. There are roaming options only for the US. Nowhere else. The networks elsewhere will see you, but they'll ignore you.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@floflo86 wrote:

Hi community, 

PM does not have roaming add-on outside North America.

You need to purchase a local SIM card after you arrived at your destination.

If you are using WhatsApp to communicate with family and friends, you can still use it over WifFi or get a local SIM card.  With the local SIM, all you need is to update your WhatsApp account with the new local phone number.  Your family and friends can still communicate with you using WhatsApp without knowing your local phone number.

My family members uses WhatsApp exclusively in Canada and while traveling to communicate with family and friends.

Need Help? Let's chat.