cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi calling?

Tav
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Just upgraded my phone from a Moto G2 to a Moto G7 Play and got a WiFi calling notification which said I needed to update my address and then brought me to a dead Telus link. 

After looking through some posts on the forum it says its not supported. Anyone gotten it to work?

15 REPLIES 15

randolphbenoit
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Version and band of Wifi will vary on network setup (I built my own outside tower) and have alot of experience in this area. That being said the reason I was inquiring is my friend had to move and where he at the mobile network is pretty much none existence but had Wifi service. Many in Newfoundland have mobile network dead zones. I basically 1 bar most of the time but have 5Ghz 100mb netowork connection be he prob has least than that. In his case he has to use a LAN line but not need it as mobile basically he office (Square payment service) for he does business on the go. In short my question not about bad service but an option for those in areas without.

duffer900
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@randolphbenoit wrote:

So Rogers plan to add wifi to my phone model the p20 pro one day very soon. I not need myself but friend deciding who he should deal with. So far deal breaker is PM no wifi calling option. My question is there plans for it with PM one day?

I have 3 accounts with PM for my family, but my phone is a free work phone from Rogers...

I used WIFI calling for a while, but was dropping calls constantly. It does not play nice when it turns on and off. I have a very expensive and stable wifi at home. Once I turned off the wifi calling, I never had an issue with calls.

So be aware, you may not like wifi calling very much... If it works like mine did.

Note, it could work flawless for you, I am just providing you my feedback 🙂

Public Mobile is at the mercy of Telus.  We're strictly prepaid here, and Telus continues to offer us deals to go to the Koodo tier, on postpaid plans.  I myself, will not leave Public Mobile unless they stop the service here completely.  I'm on a grandfathered plan that is going to cost me on $7 on my next 90-day renewal.  The service is terrific for what I need, and things like VoIP and VoWiFi are not interesting to me at this time, as I'm saving huge here.

I have rarely had an issue in 3 years.  The loyalty, community, friend, and AutoPay rewards are found nowhere else.  Why would I want to leave?

If you desire higher-quality voice service, go somewhere else.  None fo the folks I call, or who call me have any complaints about the service.

randolphbenoit
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

So Rogers plan to add wifi to my phone model the p20 pro one day very soon. I not need myself but friend deciding who he should deal with. So far deal breaker is PM no wifi calling option. My question is there plans for it with PM one day?

@TheOldVRThe size of Fongo's network is probably a magnitude if not more smaller than Rogers or Bellus.. much less variations in equipment, latency and validation required. Not a  defence of the imcumbents but if I have to pick lower cost vs having wifi calling.. I pick the former.

@TheOldVR wrote:

@duffer900  100% agreed - I have never had quality calls with WIFI calling on Rogers or Bellus... which is sad considering that apps like Fongo offer amazingly clear calling on the same WIFI networks.

GO RAPS!

@Peterajsmith wrote:

Can't do wifi calling with pm 

Please realize that this answer was provided more than a week ago, and the person was also given other options to use the internet to make and receive calls.

Peterajsmith
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Can't do wifi calling with pm 

TheOldVR
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@duffer900  100% agreed - I have never had quality calls with WIFI calling on Rogers or Bellus... which is sad considering that apps like Fongo offer amazingly clear calling on the same WIFI networks.

GO RAPS!

duffer900
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Tav wrote:

@GinYVR wrote:

I am always a bit confused of the advantage of wifi calling.

Since Public is unlimited calling, minutes doesn't matter much, so wifi functionality won't offer any advantages.

I understand you are still paying for long distances charges with providers that offers wifi calling.

So basically it is a feature so that Public or wireless provider can skim on network infrastructure investments while still charges you the same price? That doesn't sound very equitable to me.

If it would save them money then wouldn't it make sense for them to implement it? 

I guess it wouldn't make sense for non-unlimited plans as it would probably take away from that income source in some cases.

Just curious as to what's stopping Public Mobile from implementing it. I don't need it but it would be a cool feature.

What's everyone's opinion on that?

Seems that most of the research I have done, and personal experience is that Fongo is the way to go for wifi calling. I have a Rogers work phone, and the Wifi calling is garbage. Cuts out calls constantly. As soon as I removed the wifi calling, calls were back to normal.

Tav

@GinYVR wrote:

Since Public is unlimited calling, minutes doesn't matter much, so wifi functionality won't offer any advantages.

I understand you are still paying for long distances charges with providers that offers wifi calling.

So basically it is a feature so that Public or wireless provider can skim on network infrastructure investments while still charges you the same price? That doesn't sound very equitable to me.

If it would save them money then wouldn't it make sense for them to implement it? 

I guess it wouldn't make sense for non-unlimited plans as it would probably take away from that income source in some cases.

Just curious as to what's stopping Public Mobile from implementing it. I don't need it but it would be a cool feature.

What's everyone's opinion on that?

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

You could also try using Skype or Fongo for calling.

CellGirl

You could always install a free wifi/texting app such as TextNow. it's worked fine for me  🙂

TheOldVR
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Yup - no VoLTE or WIFI calling on PM.

With that said, I have a Koodo phone with WIFI calling and I don't have good luck with it. conversation is delayed, calls are missed, and it's not clear.

MAybe others have better experience?

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@Tav wrote:

Just upgraded my phone from a Moto G2 to a Moto G7 Play and got a WiFi calling notification which said I needed to update my address and then brought me to a dead Telus link. 

After looking through some posts on the forum it says its not supported. Anyone gotten it to work?

@Tav  WiFi calling is not an available feature with Public Mobile so it won't work. 

Need Help? Let's chat.