WiFi calling

Souky123
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

WiFi calling available with pm?

14 REPLIES 14

drmartin
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Milk wrote:

Thanks for explaining— didn’t know that WIFI calling uses up regular talk time and therefore is not free. 

VoWiFi uses your minutes, but using Whatsapp, Facetime, Facebook calling (etc...) uses only data.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Milk wrote:

Thanks for explaining— didn’t know that WIFI calling uses up regular talk time and therefore is not free. 

I think it's important to distinguish between a marketed product/service called "WiFi Calling" as opposed to using wifi/data to make calls with a voip app.

Carld123
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Apps like fongo/ text now etc dont use your plan minutes if used on wifi

Milk

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Milk wrote:

PM long distance add ons are very reasonably priced and do roll over so no need for wifi calling .

@Milk I don't see what you're saying here.  Wi-Fi calling is literally using your regular talk plan or add-ons but over a Wi-Fi connection instead of over regular cellular talk.  Wi-Fi calling isn't in place of plan features or add-ons--rather it's a way to be able to make and receive calls in places where you have Wi-Fi coverage but weak or no cellular coverage (dead spots, very rural areas, etc). 

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@Milk wrote:

Hi - To call overseas I have used Face Time Voice calling - but the other party has to have face time enabled. Does WIFI calling connect to land lines?

Yes you can call any number. The nice thing about wifi calling is that it is integrated into the phones oem app so there is no switching apps to use it. But it is all dependant on the carrier as to if and what charges apply depending on where you are and where you are calling. It is a little like facetime with no video and it happens automatically, you may not even know you are using it.

@Milk wrote:

Hi - To call overseas I have used Face Time Voice calling - but the other party has to have face time enabled. Does WIFI calling connect to land lines?

WiFi calling is not available with Public Mobile at this point (and likely not for quite a while if ever).

WiFi calling is a feature of your phone connection. Assuming your plan and phone supports it the phone is choosing your best connection to the network when using the phone's dialer. It doesn't matter if you are receiving or placing a call, cell or landline.

FaceTime is Apple's proprietary VoIP feature and requires the other person to use the same interface. WhatsApp and many others work the same way.

Hangouts, Fongo, TextMeNow etc are VOIP services - they use your internet connection (WiFi or data) to place a call to a landline or cell phone.

There are services like Skype that are a crossover: Skype-to-Skype is the standard, but they also offer Skype-to-phone number (cell or landline) features.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Milk wrote:

It just needs the internet. It's called Voice Over Internet Protocol (VOIP). So yes. Like what people mention alot here...Fongo.

Milk

@Milk wrote:

PM long distance add ons are very reasonably priced and do roll over so no need for wifi calling .

True but limited to only being able to call certain countries.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Milk wrote:

Yes they are reasonably priced but effectively free is always better 🙂

Milk

PS. Wifi callins is also not available with Bell prepaid plans.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

If you need wifi calling, try using an app such as hangouts dialer.  TBH, if google gave out Canadian numbers, it would completely render any wifi calling feature the carriers useless. 

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Souky123 wrote:

WiFi calling available with pm?

PM does not support WiFi calling.

Need Help? Let's chat.