cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is a reputable company like PM/Telus engaging in Bait and Switch Tactics?

Laika_O
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

My wife and I have been loyal Telus customers for almost all of the last 12 years.  A couple of months ago, my wife switched to PM from another carrier we had tried for a few months.  We were pleased with the quality of PM's coverage and so I decided to follow last week.  I ordered a SIM card on July 12 after having checked that the rate plan that she had chosen was still available.  Whereas her SIM card was received the day after she had placed her order, PM didn't send out my SIM card until several days after my order.  I received it on Monday and when I went to sign up for the same plan that my wife has, I discovered that PM had pulled a trick sometimes used in the used car sales industry.  The plan which had been advertised at $75 for 90 days the day I ordered my SIM card was now going to cost me $130, a SEVENTY THREE PERCENT INCREASE. Yes, I read the disclaimer when I bought the SIM but I never dreamed that PM/Telus would increase the cost of the plan I wanted more than a few percent in a few days.  If PM had had a retail presence when I ordered my SIM, I would have been able to activate it the same day and would have been able to get the same pricing as my wife has.  I find it very unfair that PM delayed my reception of the SIM card that I ordered sufficiently that the plan that I had wanted is now totally uncompetitively priced.  This technique of changing pricing once one has commenced a transaction is called "Bait and Switch" and is unethical if not illegal.  I'm very disappointed with PM/Telus.

12 REPLIES 12

dlmwong

Message content removed. 

Sorry I am new, I should have contacted Simon directly.

Watoko
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Generally, I find that PM is good with honouring plans that may have been missed due to SIM card delays, evident through past plan promotions. Glad it worked out for you!

pakmode
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Yes that sucks baseballs OP, but the Mods here are awesome, and understanding. 

Simon_O
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Hey there,

If you ordered your SIM card between July 1st and July 13th and would like one of the previous 4G Plans, we can make some exceptions on a case per case basis. Just send us a PM and we will see what we can do.

Take care,

Simon

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Laika_O glad you got it sorted in a positive way.

@Mary_M  is this a policy (sim ordered before date x gets pre 3g pricing) valid for all, or just special circumstances?   curious in case we run into this sitation again.

Laika_O

Thank you imm1304 for forwarding my message to the moderators.  After verifying that I had indeed ordered a SIM card before the price changes were announced, Mary_M was able to resolve my issue in a very polite, friendly and professional manner.  My hats off to PM for their efforts to satisfy their (potential) customers. 

Now if we could all convince PM management to roll back a good portion of their recent price increases, it would make it much easier for us to recommend PM to our friends.

mimmo
Let us know how this gets resolved for you. Will be good to know if others are in your same situation

Mary_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hey @Laika_O,

thank you for taking the time to write to us and for sharing your feedback !

I totally understand how frustrating changes can sometimes be, but I'm here to help - let's see how we can work around it 🙂 I have sent you a private message, can you please view it ?

Let's keep the conversation going,

Mary

** Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum. **

mimmo

Hopefully shazia can help you out.  but please correct me if i am wrong.

the plan you mentioned in your first post referred to the talk and text promo $75/90 days  which had a specified end date.

the plan you are now refering to is the 3gb/90 days for $111 was just a regular plan.

imm1304

Hey @Laika_O

I am requesting our awesome mod @Shazia_K to take a look and help out if possible.  Please get in touch with her via private message.  

Laika_O

I'm sorry, but I don't agree.  In order to activate an account, it is necessary to first order a SIM card.  Until now, the cards have only been available online.  When the price of a plan can change substantially between the time that you order a SIM card and the time that you receive it from PM, then it seems that PM is effectively pulling a "Bait and Switch".  I was enticed to order the SIM based upon one plan price and then told that when the SIM card was delivered that the price of the plan was up 67%.  Why isn't that Bait and Switch?  The plan that I was going to order was the 3 Gb in 90 days plan.  I believe it would have been fair if PM was willing to hold the price in existence when I ordered the SIM card for a week or so, enough time for the card to be delivered and for me to complete the activation.

mimmo

@Laika_O I understand your issues.  but i would not call it bait and switch and  I do not think Pm intntionally delayed sending out your sim.   The changes in plans has caused some major feedback from the community. Yes it woudl have been nice if PM Advsed 1 week ahead be advised plan changes are happening in 1 week.  but then you might have waited to se the new plans.   If we like it or not PM is in their right to change the plans whenever they want.  what plan were you going for?  $75/90 days seems like the talk and text promo.  this end day was well communicated.  if that was the plan you wanted  you can always check out chatr they have a 25$ talk and text plan (provincial calling and 100 sms)

Need Help? Let's chat.