cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Re: Why is 1GB of data different for the USA addon?

It doesn't hurt to try and call them too. Maybe it'll work for you. I doubt it but it might be worth it to see if we have the same experience.

I figure the "free" stuff you get from telus works without a problem. So incoming texts and calls(if you don't answer) will not result in overages.

As soon as you send a text or make a call that's when it would result in overages. Because we can't have overages with PM it just doesn't work.

Sending an sms and having it fail is kind of annoying. Your phone just keeps trying and trying. I had to delete it and reboot my device for it to stop.

Mayor / Maire

Hey how about manually connecting to either AT&T and T-Mobile and seeing if either number works.

It had been my experience that inbound calls and texts work. Texts sorta makes sense as when you land in the states you get a text from PM inviting you to buy add-ons via the self-serve. But I suspect it's actually unofficial and so could change at any time.

My more recent visit to the states I actually got a little bit of data. But I couldn't reproduce it to be sure.

@z10user4 

T-Mobile works. Call went through I used the 1855 number

I can't register to Verizon.

T-mobile I can call 18554782542 but not *611

AT&T still does not work.

So I guess you want to force register to T-Mobile if your phone doesn't automatically.

Outbound sms still does not work but I never expected it too.

Mayor / Maire

@ChowtimeApricot wrote:

I can't register to Verizon.

T-mobile I can call 18554782542 but not *611

AT&T still does not work.

So I guess you want to force register to T-Mobile if your phone doesn't automatically.

Outbound sms still does not work but I never expected it too.

This is really great of you to take some time and report these things.

PM doesn't have any roaming agreement with Verizon so it makes sense that that doesn't work.

Interesting that T-Mobile will pass the call along but AT&T won't. Some claim that *611 is somehow different than just 611. Did you try both on both? In the case of PM it seems that both get to the same place.

No, outbound calls and texts have not been reported to work and that has been my experience too.

T-mobile.

611 works (without the star)

*611 does  not work(with)

1855~~~ works.

AT&T.

611 works (without star)

*611 works now.... (with star) this is weird.

1855~~~ does not work.

We are heading back today. I'll hotspot the car and stream music. I have about 900MB left so we'll see how much data I use. I want to get a speed test in on T-mobile too.

@z10user4 

We did our best to use all the data.

Screenshot_2020-01-11_07-54-03.png

Speed test was around 3 up and down on tmobile. I couldn't find the ResultID to save it and didn't bother trying again.

I guess that ends this thread. I'll just get the 500MB addon next time I go as I know that's way more than enough and I could always call 611 on both networks to get more. Lets hope this one is labeled correctly.

Mayor / Maire

@ChowtimeApricot wrote:

@z10user4 

We did our best to use all the data.

Speed test was around 3 up and down on tmobile. I couldn't find the ResultID to save it and didn't bother trying again.

I guess that ends this thread. I'll just get the 500MB addon next time I go as I know that's way more than enough and I could always call 611 on both networks to get more. Lets hope this one is labeled correctly.

Thanks again for all the reporting and fiddling while you were away.

The thread title still hasn't been answered of course (through no fault of our own). I'll be in the US on Monday for a couple weeks. I'm going to get the texting and 250mb data and see what happens with things in a week or so.

It just is interesting that other 1gb add-ons say 1024 but this one does not. Larger data plan buckets display as like 5120 not just 5000. But the smaller ones say 200mb or 250mb ($15).

Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@ChowtimeApricot thanks for testing all the combos in US, valuable intel. Smiley Very Happy

Its great to be able to call 611 while in the US, as it allows purchasing/starting the roaming add-ons after arrival, instead of before, without wi-fi. (Still should add the funds prior though)

As an anecdote, the gigabyte/gibibyte debate has been a long pain in the computer industry... 1000MB doesnt even equal 1 GiB in this case - most probably just the bucket size that their US roaming providers offer...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gibibyte