cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Why is 1GB of data different for the USA addon?

the USA addon is 1000MB but the holiday addon is 1024MB yet they're both labeled 1GB

Screenshot_2020-01-07_10-13-09.png

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

Re: Why is 1GB of data different for the USA addon?

They are the same amount.  One gigabyte expressed as binary is 1024 KB.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gigabyte

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@ChowtimeApricot wrote:

the USA addon is 1000MB but the holiday addon is 1024MB yet they're both labeled 1GB

Interesting. It's only 24MB but still...interesting that they display them differently. Maybe it's the contractual arrangement with the roaming partners.

And the 250 is just 250.

Highlighted
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

I believe that this may end up resulting in the customer being short-changed by that 24MB if the data stops working as soon aa that counter runs out.  That represents a reduction in about 2% of included data. At the very least, this is inconsistent.

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@ChowtimeApricot wrote:

Screenshot_2020-01-07_10-13-09.png

@ChowtimeApricot  1GB of data is 1GB of data regardless on how it's being displayed on the usage counter.

so on the counter showing 1024MB usage of 10MB will show up 10.24

and on the counter showing 1000MB it will show as 10

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@geopublic wrote:

@ChowtimeApricot wrote:

@ChowtimeApricot  1GB of data is 1GB of data regardless on how it's being displayed on the usage counter.

I would be interested to know where you got this factoid from. That 250MB bucket is the even 250 too and it shows 3 digits for kilobytes. I guess we could wait to see what @ChowtimeApricot experiences if he would report back with usage.

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@z10user4 wrote:

@geopublic wrote:

@ChowtimeApricot wrote:

I would be interested to know where you got this factoid from. That 250MB bucket is the even 250 too and it shows 3 digits for kilobytes. I guess we could wait to see what @ChowtimeApricot experiences if he would report back with usage.

My point is it all depends on how it gets calculated from the backend system.

8 bits is one byte

1024 Kb = 1MB * 1000 = 1GB

1024MB =1GB

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@geopublic wrote:

8 bits is one byte

1024MB =1GB

Yes. Thank you. I made my living in the computer business for most of my working life. I'm well aware of how bits and bytes calculate.

I'll give you your point. General as it is. It's just curious that they display differently.

I was questioning your statement that the roaming add-on would show just MB's rather than MB's and 3 decimal points of MB's (being KB's).

Maybe someone has a screenshot of the roaming add-on consumption. Maybe the OP could watch for that when they use that add-on perhaps in the next 10 days.

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@z10user4 wrote:

@geopublic wrote:

8 bits is one byte

1024MB =1GB

Yes. Thank you. I made my living in the computer business for most of my working life. I'm well aware of how bits and bytes calculate.

I'll give you your point. General as it is. It's just curious that they display differently.

I was questioning your statement that the roaming add-on would show just MB's rather than MB's and 3 decimal points of MB's (being KB's).

Maybe someone has a screenshot of the roaming add-on consumption. Maybe the OP could watch for that when they use that add-on perhaps in the next 10 days.

Me too!!... been in it since 1981. My guess is that the US Roaming data consumption info gets updated via a third party interface system and that is why the discrepancy. 

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@geopublic wrote:

@z10user4 wrote:

@geopublic wrote:

8 bits is one byte

1024MB =1GB

Me too!!... been in it since 1981. My guess is that the US Roaming data consumption info gets updated via a third party interface system and that is why the discrepancy. 

Well then you might have a couple few years on me 🙂 Not many!

I had mused that maybe it's how the roaming contracts work. But then there's the 250. ?? The summer and gift data both show 1024 on my account. The 200MB would show 200. So there're little discrepancies all over the place. Good ol' Public Mobile. Baling twine and gum.

Oh well. I guess we'll see.

If you had written that you were guessing then I wouldn't have asked. It was your assertion that I asked on.