cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does my 2.5 G of data run out right away?

SafetyChick66
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I've been using your service since January 2021 and every month I have data for a week at the most. I have wifi at home and outside I only ever use if for Google Maps as I can't be on the phone at work.  I've turned off all running apps and made sure there's no way it can happen again but it does. It's so frustrating when I actually need to look up something important and cannot. The other day I almost ran out of gas because I couldn't look up closest gas station.  Also tried to access my Groupon voucher and couldn't so I had to leave.  Very embarrassing!   Can someone please tell me what's going on.  I have never had this with any other company just yours. I was with Freedom Mobile before and had 10G data for $45 and never an issue. And they even deducted my bill to $35/month for 6 months for accidentally charging me roaming fees because I live in Abbotsford by the border. I thought that was great customer service.  If you could help me it would be greatly appreciated. If not I may have to go back with Freedom. Thank you for your time regarding this matter. I can be reached via text or call at (672)xxx-xxxx or by email.  

Cheers,

Michele xxxxx

Edit by Dunkman: removed personal information from public forum

7 REPLIES 7

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@SafetyChick66 

Dropping from 10gb to 2.5gb is quite the drop in mobile data to get used to....unless you are on a promotional plan ( which I don't think you are) you should consider scheduling a plan change on next renewal to either the new $35/3gb plan or spend $5 more per month for the $40/5gb plan.

You may still be missing ways to limit your data usage. Implement the following suggestions if you haven't done so already:

1. Turn on your data saver.
  2. Turn off your wifi assist setting.
  3. Set your data tracker to the correct 30 day cycle when months have more or less than 30 days.
  4. Set your data warning and limiter to better track your usage. I set the warning at 25% of data and the limiter to 50%. And I reset once my data limiter has stopped my data. This way you don't get a nasty surprise when pm sends you a text saying you have used of 75% and 95% of your plan data. Note you will not recieve these if you have add on data until you have reached those levels of all of your total data on the account.
  5. Go thru your app data usage settings and turn off all of your background data for each app. It does not need to be on and can waste up to 38% of your data.
  6. Also check each apps data usage to identify which ones are using high amounts of data.
  7. Avoid using apps that play video or if you are able set them to not play video while on mobile data. My pc optimum app introduced video that was using a surprising amount of mobile data that had to be turned off in the actual apps account settings.
  8. Searching thru photos that are already backed up to your cloud or google account will use a lot of mobile data. Make sure they only upload/ back up or sync while on wifi.

When using groupon, pc optimum or similar apps take a screenshot of your app's card#, upc type code or QR code so you don't have to use your app to access it but can just use your gallery or non backed up photos on your device. These should help you drastically reduce your mobile data usage.

WoozyPolarBear
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Also make sure that you select the option to make app updates when connected to Wi-Fi only.

Pawprints1986
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

If on android, there's a background data restrictor. You can go through and still allow say messenger, but nothing else should be sneaking data in that case

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@SafetyChick66 

I recommend installing an app to track your ‘live’ usage so you can check whenever. Public Mobile are 30 day plans (not monthly).

If you are android, try this one:

Data Witness app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.iwik.datawitnesspm&hl=en_CA&gl=US

I use this one myself and it gives me exactly what I need from it.

If you are an Apple user, I am sure there is a 30-day app that is available as well.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@SafetyChick66 

You may wish to ensure the device setting to "use data when wi-fi is weak" is not set to on.

Otherwise, it sounds like you've ticked the correct boxes to use Wi-Fi as opposed to data.

For Google Maps, you can download "offline maps" to completely avoid using mobile data when navigating.  These have worked flawlessly for me in Canada and USA.

See here:

Download offline Google Maps

Good luck!!!

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@SafetyChick66 

You could check your data usage history in your self service account.  The PM data tracker is usually fairly accurate.  

Your Freedom mobile plan 10 GB is significantly more data than your PM 2.5 GB plan.

Here are some other ideas to manage data usage:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/managing-your-data-usage

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@SafetyChick66 

This is a public forum, please edit your post to remove any personal information. To edit it, hit the 3 dots at top, right of your post.

Ensure your WIFI is enabled. 

Sign into your Self Serve and look under "View my usage", see if you can find any clue when and how much is being comsumed.

Note, your OVERVIEW tab will show the most accurate/live usage, if the line item does not show up here, than it is all used up.

See useful help article on how to manage data: https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/managing-your-data-usage

Need Help? Let's chat.