cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does Telus have a $10 50 minutes/50 Text plan but NOT Public Mobile?

pm-smayer97
Mayor / Maire

I just realized today that Telus is STILL offering a $10 50/50 plan. 

see here: https://www.telus.com/en/mobility/prepaid/plans?linktype=subnav

I thought they had removed it but it is now there. If that is the case, why does PM not have this anymore? Did Telus just bring it back or was it always there? Regardless, since PM is the low-cost budget provider for Telus, then shouldn't PM also have the same thing?

@Catherine_T   Please bring back the $10 50/50 plan....

33 REPLIES 33

@pm-smayer97 wrote:

@Luddite  Is this true? If so, please undo.... this is NOT a solution to MY question.

Yes, You have a better answer in mind? Are you unable to cancel my "Solution"?

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

@Luddite  Is this true? If so, please undo.... this is NOT a solution to MY question.

@pm-smayer97 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

You've been here long enough to know to read the fine print. Heck even just the main points.

Be careful what you wish for. Our old $10 plan is better. The Telus one is local calls only and only total 50 SMS/MMS all around.

Ours is Canada-wide calling and unlimited incoming texts and any MMS.

How did this get picked as the Solution? I am the OP and I did not select this.

How can this be undone?

@pm-smayer97 My notifications indicate that @Luddite accepted this as a solution.

@Anonymous wrote:

You've been here long enough to know to read the fine print. Heck even just the main points.

Be careful what you wish for. Our old $10 plan is better. The Telus one is local calls only and only total 50 SMS/MMS all around.

Ours is Canada-wide calling and unlimited incoming texts and any MMS.

How did this get picked as the Solution? I am the OP and I did not select this.

How can this be undone?

@pm-smayer97 wrote:

@HALIMACS wrote:

I'm all for choices, but the plans do need to have a value component to them - and the value is decided by us collectively, the customers. 

Well, this was a very popular plan when PM had it.

@pm-smayer97 @HALIMACS I would opt for the $10 plan on both my accounts just so I could burn off free minutes and data while saving $10 a month.

@HALIMACS wrote:

I'm all for choices, but the plans do need to have a value component to them - and the value is decided by us collectively, the customers. 

Well, this was a very popular plan when PM had it.

I kinda agree with you, @pm-smayer97 , there was no room for those comments. 

C'mon @pm-smayer97  & @LurganIeUk ,  for the sake of newbies on the site,  just end the spat.

@LurganIeUk  that you just made an a* of yourself?

@HALIMACS  I have no problem with sharing opinions BUT the reply not only does not address the question but was hugely disrespectful.

@pm-smayer97 wrote:

@LurganIeUk  When someone uses the phrase "With all due respect..." they often offer no respect. But I like to shoot straight so with NO respect due to you, go give your own head a shake!

I am not asking to replicate the Telus plan. I am asking to bring back the old PM plan at the same $10 price point that is similar, given that PM is supposed to be the budget oriented service provider.

For some people, you have to explain everything 😕

Well if you leave things to assuming....you do know your audience comes from newer folks that have no idea of what old plans there are. And you do know what assume means?

BasesLoadedWalk
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

The whole point of any online message board/forum is to exchange thoughts, opinions and advice. Coming online to a forum stating you don't care about what others have to say is like asking a blind man what their favorite color is.

Yah, i got that too from your initial question, @pm-smayer97 , and the prior thread from years ago that I referenced in my initial reply.

You did, however, post your thoughts and question on a Public Forum as opposed to Privately Messaging PM staff - you must have expected folks to post opinion and preferences, didn't you?

@LurganIeUk  When someone uses the phrase "With all due respect..." they often offer no respect. But I like to shoot straight so with NO respect due to you, go give your own head a shake!

I am not asking to replicate the Telus plan. I am asking to bring back the old PM plan at the same $10 price point that is similar, given that PM is supposed to be the budget oriented service provider.

For some people, you have to explain everything 😕

@pm-smayer97 

Will all due respect....I think you need to give your head a shake!!

Telus $10 plan gives 

50 anytime local minutes

50 incoming/outgoing SMS and MMS. And if your average text leads to at least 3 to complete a conversation you can only have 17 conversations a month. 

No Data included. 

BUT you pay an arm and a leg for LD calls, extra texts and for data. 

stevenanto

@BasesLoadedWalk There are a few companies that charge per year or you can just take prepaid. I’ve seen plans as low as 100 a year. 

@mimmo @Anonymous   Yes, you know I have been here a long time and active enough. As I mentioned in other posts I still have 4 of the original $10 50/50 PM plans AND a $10 Telus plan... so am familiar with all the ins and outs, fine print and all....

Would prefer to stay with PM for now.... Just using what I found as an opportunity to raise the issue again! It is rather odd that Telus would offer something that budget oriented whose target market is different than PM, the supposed budget oriented service provider.

Other people's opinions do not matter as to whether they think it is a good idea or not, other than getting support for it. ALL that matters is trying to get PM to consider this again.

@Anonymous wrote:

@cavemantoronto wrote:

I don't think it'll be back because of the rewards. 5 years $5 off and $2 autopay leaves no money to make for Public Mobile.

Well...they have an internally grandfathered $3 plan. Just 5 minutes though. And pay as you go from a balance.

Yup AND they have another grandfathered plan for $10 $500 mins 100 text plan (we have one of those).

@HALIMACS wrote:

Hi @pm-smayer97 

[EDIT:   Seems like you were quite active on that thread from years ago --- so it'll probably be familiar to you already.]

YUP... I had up to 8 of these plans at one point for my family... still have 4 left.

Anonymous
Not applicable

tenor.gif

I don't know where this comes from and why his nose is red and he's in a housecoat and whatever the name is but it conveys meaning just fine. 🙂

BasesLoadedWalk

@cavemantoronto wrote:

@BasesLoadedWalk wrote:

I would jump at the bit to sign up for a prepaid by the year plan with PM. I'm looking for something to pay off and forget about bills for a while.

You can pay a year of your plan at Public. Be careful because there's no refunds if you change your mind.

Right now, I have a $1600 credit on my account, and each month that grows by about $20. I have the $40 plan and get about $60 per month in rewards. I'm not leaving anytime soon.

@BasesLoadedWalk wrote:

I would jump at the bit to sign up for a prepaid by the year plan with PM. I'm looking for something to pay off and forget about bills for a while.

You can pay a year of your plan at Public. Be careful because there's no refunds if you change your mind.

BasesLoadedWalk

@BasesLoadedWalk wrote:

@cavemantoronto wrote:

@BasesLoadedWalk wrote:

I personally think we will eventually see a $10 plan on PM. A lot of carries have a very basic $10 offering. I would recommend staying with PM on the $15 plan though, and with autopay, some community rewards, and a referral or two, you can get the cost down to the same or lower than Telus. Also, the PM plan has 100 Canada-wide minutes included vs 50 local minutes.

I don't think it'll be back because of the rewards. 5 years $5 off and $2 autopay leaves no money to make for Public Mobile.

Freedom Mobile offers a $99/year (works out to $8.25/month) plan I believe...so it's a possibility PM could come in with a similar plan.

Maybe but Public doesn't match Freedom, not for a long time. It would be a 30 day plan too but similar if you average the $99 price to a 30 day price.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@cavemantoronto wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@cavemantoronto wrote:

Well...they have an internally grandfathered $3 plan. Just 5 minutes though. And pay as you go from a balance.

That plan is junk. They used to have $0 plan. They made that plan to charge an extra fee to low usage customers.

Yes I know. I and AE_Collector have people in our lives that were "forced" over to it from the $0 plan. But it suits them just fine. Not junk. Extremely low usage. The stereotypical quintessential flip phone too. As the saying goes "emergency phone". Heck...aren't we all pretty low usage these days.

BasesLoadedWalk

@cavemantoronto wrote:

@BasesLoadedWalk wrote:

I personally think we will eventually see a $10 plan on PM. A lot of carries have a very basic $10 offering. I would recommend staying with PM on the $15 plan though, and with autopay, some community rewards, and a referral or two, you can get the cost down to the same or lower than Telus. Also, the PM plan has 100 Canada-wide minutes included vs 50 local minutes.

Freedom Mobile offers a $99/year (works out to $8.25/month) plan I believe...so it's a possibility PM could come in with a similar plan.

@Anonymous wrote:

@cavemantoronto wrote:

That plan is junk. They used to have $0 plan. They made that plan to charge an extra fee to low usage customers.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@cavemantoronto wrote:

@BasesLoadedWalk wrote:

BasesLoadedWalk

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@pm-smayer97  if oyu really wanted that plan or you had friends that wanted that plan the best bet is to simply go over and sign up to a telus plan. 

But I guess since  PM has rewards auto-pay, loyalty referal and community and which bring all current plans down in price, so  there is a reason to stick with PM  or join even with a not  so an ideal plan that suits your needs. 

Need Help? Let's chat.