cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does $35 plan exist?

TMS
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

It does not make any sense to me why the $35 plan exists. Other than to sway someone over to the $40. 

...why wouldn't the $35 plan have at least 2.5GB of data? I might as well do the $25 plan and take a $10 data add on (if I need extra) for a total of 1.2GB 

35 REPLIES 35

Anonymous
Not applicable

@TMS wrote:

@Anonymous 

You must use it a very little amount of time. 

it must be a pain to manage two phones?  (Charging, transporting, etc..)

Ever consider selling one of the phones and just go with one plan? 

I do indeed.

The data line is an antique obsolete Windows Phone. The battery lasts a good while. My primary phone is a Samsung S7. It might be up to 2 days to need a charge depending on how I'm using it.

No ones gonna want the Windows Phone. The Samsung maybe. But it seems to be being bypassed for any more OS updates so it's getting obsoleted too. I'm entertaining getting a new phone with the latest but they're all pricey.

I guess one could say I got baited into getting another account when there was a 5gb promo. Then the summer data gift came along. I went through that eventually. Then the holiday data gift. I'm still on that. I've used about a gig of the 5gb bucket.

My situation is changing soon so I might be using a phone more. We'll see.

TMS

@Anonymous 

You must use it a very little amount of time. 

it must be a pain to manage two phones?  (Charging, transporting, etc..)

Ever consider selling one of the phones and just go with one plan? 

TMS

Why wouldn't your friends just go to the $40 plan for the 5GB? 

I am sure they could reduce their usage to get within the $25 and its 1GB data (with autopay). *edit and just use a $10 data on if needed.  

Mountainmaxman
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I have friends that used it, they only wanted the 1.5GB of data and the $25 plan was not enough. I agree it should be a little more but people do buy it.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@TMS wrote:

@Anonymous 

Do you use a dual SIM phone?

Do you drive?

Are you using wifi mainly?

No.

Yes.

Yes.

I have another account on the $10 plan that has a bunch of data for when I'm not around wifi and I wish to access the internet at that time.

Yes I carry two phones around. So I kinda have 100 minutes and texts and I hotspot to that data line. I have yet another $10 plan that I renew every 4 months just to keep around.

TMS

@Anonymous 

Do you use a dual SIM phone?

Do you drive?

Are you using wifi mainly?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@TMS wrote:

@jor123 

You don't want the $10 plan. 
The unlimited texts with the $15 plan is where the extra $5.00 shines. Not to mention unlimited incoming calls. 

But I don't want to have to pay that extra 5 bucks every month. The $5 add-on is great. I can text with a wifi app. And other options.

But then I barely use my phone. It's really just a handheld mobile computer.

TMS

@mattz 

You don't want the $10 plan. 
The unlimited texts with the $15 plan is where the extra $5.00 shines. Not to mention unlimited incoming calls. 

jor123
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@mattz wrote:

There was a $10 plan? I dream of $10 plans. At $13 right now.

In three years with the loyalty discount I guess it'll be $10 Man Very Happy

@AE_Collector wrote:

For anyone trying to make sense of the $35 1/1.5Gb plan, keep in mind that they didn't just launch it as is between the existing $25 and $40 plans, you need to look at the history.

When I started here 14 months ago the $25 plan was $30. It was reduced to $25 a few months later. AND, it didn't have the Autopay 500Mb bonus, only higher cost plans had that. Thus the $30 plan was 1/2 Gb and the $35 plan was 1Gb plus it bumped to 1.5Gb if you set up Autopay. Does it fit in a little better looking at it that way? The competition just either doesn't have a plan like it or hasn't fought any wars with the $35 plan. 

I myself lay awake at night wondering why they don't have a $30 2Gb plan and a $35 3Gb plan to complement the $40 5Gb plan. Then I'd launch a $45 7Gb plan and bump the $50 to 9Gb with Autopay. I like logical well thought out things.... Of course there also used to be a $45 6/6.5 Gb plan too that disappeared in a big "plan rearrangement in what...May or so last year. Even the $40 5 Gb plan was finally terminated in that rearrangement. Well, for about 5 days and then it was back again. 

So I have resigned myself to the fact that they aren't about to call offering me a free lifetime plan for figuring out a more logical pricing structure for them. I then remember that PM isn't a provider duking it out with the competition but is rather a niche provider that isn't trying to be everything to everybody to win the battle at all cost. If PM were "too good of a deal" they would be doing too much damage to TELUS and Koodo. If they have a plan that appeals to us we grab it and don't let go until we see something better.

AE_Collector

Bravo for keeping all these historical stats.  As the plan lineup stands today, the $35 offer looks way out of place.  It could have and should have been revamped.  My take is that there is less of a concern for cannibalizing the tier 1 and 2 sister brands than cannibalizing the ARPU of this brand.  Of course there is possibility of getting the rivals upset and triggering of price wars and stuff.

@TMS 

Thankyou. I hope they are listening as well but have my doubts. Meanwhile I can read while I'm awake during the night using my trusty bedside lamp.

AE_Collector869E8AAA-AD81-4832-A12C-3166F45AB4E5.jpeg

TMS

@AE_Collector 

Hopefully PM can change to the plans that you mentioned. We all here don't want you to lose any more sleep. 👍

For anyone trying to make sense of the $35 1/1.5Gb plan, keep in mind that they didn't just launch it as is between the existing $25 and $40 plans, you need to look at the history.

When I started here 14 months ago the $25 plan was $30. It was reduced to $25 a few months later. AND, it didn't have the Autopay 500Mb bonus, only higher cost plans had that. Thus the $30 plan was 1/2 Gb and the $35 plan was 1Gb plus it bumped to 1.5Gb if you set up Autopay. Does it fit in a little better looking at it that way? The competition just either doesn't have a plan like it or hasn't fought any wars with the $35 plan. 

I myself lay awake at night wondering why they don't have a $30 2Gb plan and a $35 3Gb plan to complement the $40 5Gb plan. Then I'd launch a $45 7Gb plan and bump the $50 to 9Gb with Autopay. I like logical well thought out things.... Of course there also used to be a $45 6/6.5 Gb plan too that disappeared in a big "plan rearrangement in what...May or so last year. Even the $40 5 Gb plan was finally terminated in that rearrangement. Well, for about 5 days and then it was back again. 

So I have resigned myself to the fact that they aren't about to call offering me a free lifetime plan for figuring out a more logical pricing structure for them. I then remember that PM isn't a provider duking it out with the competition but is rather a niche provider that isn't trying to be everything to everybody to win the battle at all cost. If PM were "too good of a deal" they would be doing too much damage to TELUS and Koodo. If they have a plan that appeals to us we grab it and don't let go until we see something better.

AE_Collector

TMS

@gblackma 

"It is the way"

🙂

@will13am wrote:

@mattz wrote:

Long ago there was.  It's $10 for 50 minutes, 50 text, no data.  Arguably, the $15 plan offers much better value of the extra usage is needed.  

Just to add to what @will13am said, the $10 plan also included unlimited incoming texts in addition to 50 mins, 50 outgoing texts.

@mattz wrote:

Long ago there was.  It's $10 for 50 minutes, 50 text, no data.  Arguably, the $15 plan offers much better value of the extra usage is needed.  

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@TMS it exists for us to talk about it here. PM has spoken.

@TMS wrote:

It does not make any sense to me why the $35 plan exists. Other than to sway someone over to the $40. 

...why wouldn't the $35 plan have at least 2.5GB of data? I might as well do the $25 plan and take a $10 data add on (if I need extra) for a total of 1.2GB 

TMS

@mimmo 

A big oops. 😞

I did mean Oracle. 
I ve been away way too long. 

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@TMS  in just a community user like you. I don't work for public mobile. I'm not a moderator.  If you meant Oracle , thanks.

TMS

@popping 

Lmao 🤣 

...not that old. Haha  but I do enjoy the $10 for its price. 

I use it in the USA with data add on and voip for calls, texts and data needs. Love it!

PS hate that $35 plan. Lol

TMS

@will13am 

I will. I'm still rocking two plans. Good ole Data plan and this $10, using voip.ms and its forwarding to route my calls. 

popping

@TMS wrote:

@mimmo 

Hoping that you mods can help change the market for us all. Maybe talk some sense into the price/plan changers/makers. Persuade me to move from my $10 plan. 😉

Good to see that you are a moderator now. Congrats!

Older seniors are happy with the $10 plan using a flip phone.

mattz
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

popping

Agree. 

The $30 1GB LTE data only plan does not make any sense too.  Subscribers cannot add minutes add-on to that plan.  It is essentially a tablet plan similar to Fido $15 2GB LTE plan. But it is more expensive than the Fido tablet plan.

TMS

@mimmo 

Hoping that you Oracles can help change the market for us all. Maybe talk some sense into the price/plan changers/makers. Persuade me to move from my $10 plan. 😉

Good to see that you are a moderator (edit-Oracle) now. Congrats!

@TMS wrote:

@will13am 

There you are. Been a while. 👍

I have been away from the community for a bit. Still on the $10 plan. Hoping a few things have changed. Nope. The companies are still playing follow the leader. 

The $10 plan is longer available.  Hang onto it if it meets the needs. 

TMS

@will13am 

There you are. Been a while. 👍

I have been away from the community for a bit. Still on the $10 plan. Hoping a few things have changed. Nope. The companies are still playing follow the leader. 

mimmo

It's been brought up many times to pm yet it still stays.  Hopefully if when they do their next pricing analysis things might change hopefully for the better but who knows 

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@TMS wrote:

Because all the peers have the same plan in their lineup...  I hate to say this over and over, we have a monopoly enviroment in the cellular arena, not a competitive one.  A lot of what we see is driven by the "spirit of cooperation" so to speak.  There is no driver to really compete when there is no competition.  That said, the desire is to steer customers over to a plan that cost at least $40 per plan cycle.  When the $25 plan was introduced, it was a real game changer.  The next big thing would be a plan that is between $25 and $40 and has a data bucket that is around 3GB.   My sense is that there is a slight chance for such a plan.  If the metrics show a much higher potential for upgrades from the $25 vs downgrades from $40 plan, a 3GB plan could materialize. 

TMS

@Jb456 

Nonsense. Are you sure they are competing? Or are they just following. Lol 🙂

Need Help? Let's chat.