cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do I need cellular on to text?

Happygal47
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi! When I turn off my cellular and wifi my phone won't send texts or receive texts. Why? I'm concerned about this as I am on the $15 plan and I'm using too much data texting.Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7

@Triguy wrote:

You need to enable data in order to send/receive texts.  I believe it does not count as part of your data usuage.  You could use wi-fi apps for texting like TextNow or WhatApp.

Text messaging does not require the use of data, nor is it required for it to be enabled.

@Happygal47 

Yes, you do not need data enable for MMS, but those aren't text messages.  If you can't send text messages unless you have a mobile data/wifi connection, do you have an iPhone device?  If you do, you need to enable the standard SMS setting. By default, I believe that iMessage sends messages that start of as regular text messages through the internet.

Variance

When you turn off "cellular" you are actually turning off the entire radio that enables your phone to work, sorta of like putting it into airplane mode.

You should leave "cellular" turned on, and instead turn off "data" there should be an option for that somewhere in your settings depending on your phone model.  Just do a quick google search.  Once you have data turned off, your regular phone calls, and text msgs should stuff function.

Happygal47

Thanks!

ashhiscock

If you are using an iphone it will try to send imessages which is done through data. You can turn this off in your settings and it will send regular text messages

Happygal47

Thanks!

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Happygal47 , SMS does not require mobile data.  However, MMS does.  MMS is routed through a proxy server that does not meter the data usage.  There is no way around this.  To control data usage by other apps, I suggest turning off sync feature on your phone. 

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

You need to enable data in order to send/receive texts.  I believe it does not count as part of your data usuage.  You could use wi-fi apps for texting like TextNow or WhatApp.

Need Help? Let's chat.