cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why are people so bound by the big 3?

Naepalm
Mayor / Maire

Alright,

I need some leverage here and explanation why ssomeone should leave Bell, Rogers or Telus NOW. I am having conversations with people that will not part with these because of contracts. Yes I have informed them about their right to cancel lol. But even telling people that their bill could be 75% lower they still wont leave the old ball and chain.

so those of you please provide me reasons to come to Public and leave those other guys.

This will help me brong more people over btw. 

cheers

naepalm

37 REPLIES 37

brettster99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

1. You can have a cell phone plan that has the coverage of the big 3 for $0 (Hard but doable)

2. You already know about cheaper phone plan prices 

3. You get more for your money (e.x $50 plan gets you 8.5GB of data. Unlimited texting and unlimited calling to Canada and the US)

4. You won’t be charged overage fees

5. With public mobile you won’t be limited to certain zones like freedom mobile 

Go to comfortable clean store, smiling people, familiar and trusted brand. Pick phone, sign paper, pay money, walk out with new toy, all taken care of for you, all is blissful until the first time you don't pay bill on time, but you always pay your bills on time - right? - so even that's a non-issue.

Or go to PM. No store. No phones, bring one from somewhere else. Make sure it's compatible. DiY all the activation and porting details (or, rather, just follow website prompts, lol). APN settings. Questions, answers, what happens if...? People who haven't heard of PM aren't confident in PM, they're skittish enoigh that if they google PM they might run away as fast as they can. They're suspicious of low prices, seems too good to be true, they expect theor must be a catch a gimmick a tradeoff.

And there is a tradeoff. "Message the Mods" or demand a support ticket from the babbling idiotbot, thank you for your input and your complaint is important to us, etc, please wait a couple days before complaining again if we don't respond. People with billing issues or service issues - or broken website issues - don't have working phones. They want a place to go with a person who will (for a price) just fix problems and make things work like they did the first time.

dude65
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

People hate change and if your lazy, then you wont switch. Talking with people they want to be able to talk to a human if something is wrong, they dont want to do it them self. They ask me so you have a contract. They ask if me with PM can you get a phone. Ask me if its LTE. When i explain its prepaid and you supply your own phone, LTE throttled to 3g, most right away say its not for them even if they could save a bunch of money.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I shook my head when all that outcry about 3 year contracts was the thing to rail against. Um...people...there ain't no free lunch. You want a phone for no charge up front with a cheap plan then you're going to pay for it over time.

Now. Gee. Whadyaknow the monthly cost went up because now you're paying for that phone over just 2 years. Whodathunk.

Back to math...that's another thing people assess on thinking of switching. How much is it going to cost to finish paying for my phone and how soon will my monthly cost "pay" for that buy-out.

More math. 🙂 Math class is tough 🙂 Remember that Barbie controversy? 🙂

@Anonymous I like the ramble! Its so true though there are so many benefits to this that many people really need to sort through but wont because its too much time. I saw a funny insurance commercial where people take longer to choose a donut then their insurance. I think the same principle applies here. The big three also use language like uograde to a new device. This language makes people feel good. If it said you just purchased an $1100.00 phone that would cause a bit more pain. But of course they are savey.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

I think it has to be due to brand recognition.  You see ads in print and tv for the big 3 but the smaller brands may not spend as much on advertising.  All of the big 3 are established brands.

dnadolny
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

There are some aspects of psychology at play too. There's a concept called "cognitive dissonance" that can help explain this.

If people have spent a lot of money on their phone bills, that idea is dissonant with the other idea that they could have saved a lot of money for a similar product or service. Because of that, people will resolve the dissonance, often by changing their interpretation or beliefs. For example, they may believe that they're really receiving superior service through the more expensive options.

If you want to convince people to try Public Mobile, you may wish to consider how the "six principles of persuasion" can be applied: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFdCzN7RYbw

kelvarnsen

When I convinced my wife to switch the big seller was no data overage charges. The $25 plan got her twice as much data as she had with Rogers and now she never has to worry about getting hit with a $60 extra charge on her bill.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Naepalm 

That's the math part you wondered about. To sit down and go through the math with people showing that they could save $10 a month say. I gotta think most people might think that's not enough enticement. Even to say but that's $120 per year. Ah that's a year who looks that far ahead. That kind of thing.

I think the real focus should be on what they actually _need_ from their service. When I was looking around wondering about a different way for cell service, I looked at my activity of the past year (at the time). Figured out my highs and lows and averages. Found that I used maybe 250-400 MB of data. Not a lot of minutes. Very little texting at the time. I was paying like 60-odd dollars adding 6gb of data. So I saw Koodo but wasn't sure about the "boosters". Then I learned about PM. The rates were a little better than adding the boosters. So I signed up. Then the huge learning was that add-ons stay on the account and not purchased each month. So I dropped down to the $10 plan and use add-ons.

Haven't looked back.

Sorry for the ramble. There are variations of reasoning why people might change. Or not. But don't be the evangelist. Inquire. Maybe suggest. Let it go. It's their money. They can spend it how they see fit.

@JoyLuck thanks for the comments!

yeah I dont want my family to continue to pay high bills, this is where I am at a crossroads. They need to be shown how valuable PM can be and how much better it is to only pay an $8.00 or $20.00 phone bill then 100.00, groceries are expensive, hydro is expensive of they can be shown to save here this is colossal.

kelvarnsen

@Naepalm yea those bundles are a super annoying tactic. My internet and TV is with bell. We also have the most basic home phone service possible and Bell has told us that our bill would be higher if we didn't have a home phone.

@will13am true and there will always be this dichotomy between the masses where some will go to a cheaper provider over need. some will switch over frugality or financial awareness and some just eant those extra luxuries. Im hoping that what is happening in the world there will be a bit more of the middle which I think and you can tell me if Im wrong that you and I  land in. I can afford a more expensive plan but my financial awareness tells me "hey! this will save you and you can use that extra money for so many things." I might do a post in the next month opening up that can and showing what you could get with the savings 😉 

thanks for the comment really appreciate it!

@Staliger yeah sound like confidence, people will pair up with someone or something immediatley if they have confidence in it. we need to bring that to our families and friend for PM. 

Thanks for the comment!

@LurganIeUk I have seen math, from a couple people. What is it you mean by math, I may have a different view on this. My thoughts are they dont want to do the math. 

cheers and thanks for the input

@Anonymous yeah, I get that, referral programs work for those that can do it well and show that it is a benefit to others. Discussing that you can get a bonus is more of a side note the biggest thing I think we can emphasise is that this will bring you closer to financial freedom. 

thanks for the comments!

this is a good point @popping get them from confused to confidence. There are.always the early adopters who are the pioneers of this group that were able to take a chance or at least hear about it, whether they were looking or not. And take action, get involved. 

Thanks for the comments truly appreciate your feedback!

@fdrcamb519 I dont think you are wrong on any of those points and actually when I bring it up to family members they dont even think about thwir phone bills. What gets them is when I do some math for them twll them you know its going to coat you 2500.00 more for Rogers this year, because you dont want to switch. All of a sudden their ears perk up. 

thank you for the suggestions, really appreciat your contribution!

@ShawnC13 

3 weeks ago I was trying to get my BELL bill lowered. My first call after 1.5 hours got dropped and they disnt call me back. When I dis call back I was on hold for 3 hours. I litterally left thw music on and was doing chores around my house. I know these times are causing call centers to be a bit overloaded. But, I have never had "better" service. From one of the flagship mobility companies. So you are bang on with your response here. 

thanks for the comments. 

@darlicious thank you so much for all the thought you put into this. Well laid out response. I think you hit on many valid points. Just trying to get people into this head space will be a challenge but I am up for it! 

thanks for the response!

@zblackma bery valid points Ill take not of these when helping others to see the joy in savings and freedom in lower mobility bills. 

@mimmo yeah I totally get what you are saying. But if I reworded it to flagship maybe that would have made more sense. Again though, some of the benefits of those extra flights are, legroom. Outside of that you are on the same plane. I think as the world and especially North America moves to cut bills, make life easier their may be a flippening amongst economy and luxury. Where people will realize like @darlicious said that they are living beyond their means.

thanks for the contribution to this. 

@kelvarnsen yeah you are right they advertise so much, they also have other products like TV bundles, Internet etc. this only helps their brand exposure. Small telecom seem to survive by word of mouth. 

thank you for the comments!

kelvarnsen

@JoyLuck to be fair, you can't really pick up a phone and talk to someone. You pick up a phone, deal with the automated system, then wait on hold and then talk to someone.

As for why someone would choose one of the big companies, they spend a crazy amount of money on advertising to make people think they are the only option.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Naepalm  firstly you are still on  the big 3.

Pm is a 3rd tier provider.  It's like asking to switch from business class to economy when flying.   Both get you there but one has more benefits than the other.  

zblackma

@NaepalmI find its one of 3 things

1. Fear of the unknown.
  2. Comfortable with what they have. 
  3. Laziness

@Naepalm 

Even though there are no promotions or bonus referral credits being offered  in the past 2 1/2 months, now or the foreseeable future this is the best time to get your friends and family to switch to public mobile. These are uncertain times and you need to be subtle with your sales pitch. People's heads are still spinning waiting for their first EI and CERB payments to arrive. They are worried about how to pay their past due rent and bills. Just be kind and casually mention if they need to lower their phone bills to come talk you and you can advise them....and if they are interested  make sure you commit to them that you'll be there to help them navigate public mobile and the community til they get the hang of things.

Once people get their immediate needs taken care of....most will have to take a hard look at their spending habits (far too many live far beyond their means.) This is when the cost cutting mentality will take over and you can start soft selling public mobile to them. But remember you are making commitment to them to help them learn how to manage their accounts. And some will be a life long commitment  but if you believe in the product your selling you ll be on board.

Identify the people in your life hit the hardest by COVID-19 economically. Those in the restaurant and bar industry, travel and tourism, hairdressers and stylists, the fitness industry and non essential retail. Many of these people live on low or minimum wages, tips and several part time jobs. They need phone but those big data plans are a luxury now. If people are cancelling car insurance they are primed and ready to cut those $60, $80 and $100++ phone bills in half or more.

Start carrying a couple sim cards around with you ( pm was thinking ahead when they offered $5 sim cards a little while ago.)  We may be flattening the curve in bc but ontario, quebec, the maritimes and Newfoundland  are going to be in lockdown thru summer before any dròp in restrictions regarding freedom of movement. Be prepared to activate people on the spot using a harder sell. Identify how much they are wasting on their phone bill and how much you can save them. If they switch to public mobile they can have their phone and their Tim's too.....and Tim's free WiFi.  This is a widespread long term economic disaster than is going to decimate small businesses.....who are canadas largest employers.

I said to someone a few months ago if all heck breaks loose I'll still be ok because I can actually live on a welfare cheque. It's not easy or any fun but I can keep a roof over my head, the lights on and my phone activated and food in my belly for $785 a month. People are panicking because they can't even come close to doing that for $2000 a month. Chopping their phone bill in half will become a top priority in the next few weeks.

Be kind, be safe, be socially distant.

@yanzhiqiang wrote:

Higher price, better service. You get what you pay for.

Is it better service though?  Service has been great for me in 3.5 years hear and unlike the Big 3 my price doesn't creep up ever year it actually goes down!!!

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

yanzhiqiang

Higher price, better service. You get what you pay for.

JoyLuck
Mayor / Maire

Some people feel much more comfortable and willing to pay a premium if they can pick up the phone and talk to someone or walk into a store to resolve their issues. Everyone has heard of the big 3, but very few people I have talked to have heard of Public Mobile, which makes convincing them to switch a lot harder. My daughter is with Telus, but we were able to negotiate a very good price. If your family members want to stay with the big 3, ask for their loyalty department. Also try and deal with the same person at the store so you can build a relationship with them so they are looking out for your best interest. One other reason my daughter stayed with Telus is international roaming was easy for her to set up. I very rarely use my phone so the $15 dollar plan at PM was a no brainer. I’m always going on about PM and now everybody I know thinks I work for them, because I’m always telling them about the different plans, rewards, savings, etc. Don’t just stop saving with the phone, look at the cheap internet providers too. Just convince one person to switch and the rest will follow.

Need Help? Let's chat.