cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which plan and or add on's?

MBNavion
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Hi Folks,

I am a new kid on the block and my needs may be somewhat different than most.  I have done some research in the community but do not seem to be able to find information that is pertinent to me.  So here is my situation and questions.

I am a resident of the United States and spend all of July, August and September in Newfoundland.  I have been having fits trying to get reasonably priced phone coverage while in NL.  I have tried getting a Canada add on with my US domestic carrier which required me to buy a new phone. ( Verizon ).  However, due to some technology differences between the system in NL and in the US it would not work.

So I want to try Public Mobile and am will to spend the money for an unlocked GSM phone to do it.

I was planning on getting the 90 day "All of Canada and the US" plan.  However, after reading some here in the community I am now not sure if it will do what I want it to do.

So my first question deals with what I need to purchase.  Text and data are not required.  I need to be able to receive calls from the US and make calls to the US as well as calls to and from whatever province I may be traveling tohrough while enroute to NL. i.e. for emergency road service.  Will the "All of Canada plus US" accomplish this without purchasing any "Add ons"?

Second question would regard billing and payment.  Are all plan prices quoted in Canadian funds.

Any and all input is appreciated.

33 REPLIES 33

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

I think you have two options.

buy a 90 day canada US plan no text no data for 106$ /3 =35$can/month.  The service will not work while you are in the USA though, unless you buy USA addon for 10 days, but you likley have your USA phone.

Buy the current $25/month plan and buy the long distance calling addon expires when minutes are used up.  could be cheaper than option 1, depending on how much calling to USA you make.

TheOldVR
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

** Sorry, I take that back, the Promo plan might not be what you want as you don't get all of Canada and U.S. included.... you would need an app like Fongo for that.

@MBNavion Sounds like you need a SIM card and the $25 promo plan...and that's it?

You can use an app for Long Distance calls to save you a bit of money.

CaNuCk07
Mayor / Maire

@MBNavion  The All of Canada and the US plan would work for you, keeping in mind, these numbers are no longer covered in the US 712-432, 605-562, 641-552, 605-475, 605-477, 712-775, 559-726.

Furthermore, you would be charged in Canadian dollars, which for you right now with the CAD vs USD exchange rate would be a benefit for sure!

Need Help? Let's chat.