cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which plan and or add on's?

MBNavion
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Hi Folks,

I am a new kid on the block and my needs may be somewhat different than most.  I have done some research in the community but do not seem to be able to find information that is pertinent to me.  So here is my situation and questions.

I am a resident of the United States and spend all of July, August and September in Newfoundland.  I have been having fits trying to get reasonably priced phone coverage while in NL.  I have tried getting a Canada add on with my US domestic carrier which required me to buy a new phone. ( Verizon ).  However, due to some technology differences between the system in NL and in the US it would not work.

So I want to try Public Mobile and am will to spend the money for an unlocked GSM phone to do it.

I was planning on getting the 90 day "All of Canada and the US" plan.  However, after reading some here in the community I am now not sure if it will do what I want it to do.

So my first question deals with what I need to purchase.  Text and data are not required.  I need to be able to receive calls from the US and make calls to the US as well as calls to and from whatever province I may be traveling tohrough while enroute to NL. i.e. for emergency road service.  Will the "All of Canada plus US" accomplish this without purchasing any "Add ons"?

Second question would regard billing and payment.  Are all plan prices quoted in Canadian funds.

Any and all input is appreciated.

33 REPLIES 33

@MBNavion
Glad to hear everything works out pretty well for you
** I am not a Mod, please do not include any private info in a private message to me.**

MBNavion

I am all set on the SIM card.  It is en route to my NL address.  A friend there will pick it up ( he has a key to my PO box ) and then forward it to me south of the border.

I have phone questions but know they do not belong here so I will take them to the appropriate discussion area.

I do want to take this oppertunity to thank everyone who has prticipated in this discussion. It was very helpful to me.

Regards to all

@MBNavion, try to save the larger sizes if you can.  If you need to change phones for some reason, they come in handy.

MBNavion

Thanks SDO8.  Guess that answeres my question.

SD08
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@MBNavion wrote:

Just had a thought.  I have received confirmation that my SIM card was sent.  It is called a triple punch SIM card.  I don't know what that means.

I have not even purchased a phone yet.  Is there a possibility that the SIM card will not be the proper size for the phone I purchase, or are they unlike memory cards and only come in one size?

@MBNavion

A triple punch SIM card is one that can be popped out of its pre-cut perforations to fit any of the three standard SIM sizes.  Before you pop it out from the pre-cut configurations, be sure of the SIM size you need by comparing with the SIM tray of your phone.  If you're not sure, start with the larger size, then with the next smaller size.

MBNavion

Just had a thought.  I have received confirmation that my SIM card was sent.  It is called a triple punch SIM card.  I don't know what that means.

I have not even purchased a phone yet.  Is there a possibility that the SIM card will not be the proper size for the phone I purchase, or are they unlike memory cards and only come in one size?

no problem
We all here to help each other's

Also you should have said it if you were having issues we would have send you other ways to connect mod dept
** I am not a Mod, please do not include any private info in a private message to me.**

MBNavion

I figured out how to leave a message with a Mod.

Wasn't long thereafter that I got an a very nice cordial  e-mail from customer service telling me that the address change had been taken care of. 

Email was signed by Annie.

I must say that this community thing seems to work rather well once one understands how to use it.

I seem to be on a slow learning curve in regards to navagating the forum.  

I just noticed the "Bravo" button. I want everyone to know I appreciate the responses and apoligize if there was credit due that I may have failed to act on.

@MBNavion If you received confirmation of the order, add that info to your private message.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

I think you can try with mod dept let see if they have a access to sim order and update the box number for you

In your private message to any moderator include whatever bits of the following info you have:
* PM account email address
* PM phone number
* PM SIM card number
* Detailed explanation
* Community Moderators are available from Mon-Thursday 9am(EST) to 9pm(EST) and Friday, Saturday, and Sunday from 9am(EST) to 5:30pm(EST)
Here is the link for how to contact moderators
http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/Updated-Contacting-our-Community-Modera...

MBNavion

Well I am home and have about a week of recuperation ahead of me so I figure I might as well get some things done that do not require physical activity.  So I ordered my sim card to be sent to my NL address which is active all year long.

I used my street address and placed the order.  About 2 seconds after I hit the enter key my wife informed me that our mail would not get to us with out the "Box number" at the post office that is located on in the community next to ours.  Two years ago they removed the group of community mail boxes from our small community and now all of our mail goes to a post office in the next community over.

Is there any way I can contact some sort of customer service to add the Box number to my shipping address?

I did a reply to the confirmation notice, however I would imagine that no one monitors that e-mail address.

Thanks for any suggestions

TheOldVR
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@MBNavion wrote:

Thanks to everyone for all the replies.

For for late response.  Been in the hospital for a couple of days.

Still there in fact. Just now able to use the Wi Fi.

Think I have it figured out and now have a plan.

Thanks again to all.

Get well soon man......  you need to be home to enjoy the upcoming weather Smiley Happy

No problem @MBNavion
Get well soon and welcome to Pm

MBNavion

Thanks to everyone for all the replies.

For for late response.  Been in the hospital for a couple of days.

Still there in fact. Just now able to use the Wi Fi.

Think I have it figured out and now have a plan.

Thanks again to all.

SD08

MBNavion wrote:  That sure was a quick reply!.😁 Beat me to my add on post!

If the SIM is good until activated I guess I could have a new one mailed to me in NL and bring it home for use the following year.

This would work after the initial Year of use.

Yes, that's a good idea to save you the trouble of having someone mail it to your U.S. address each year.

If you need June 26 then u can only activate on same day or few days before if you want June 26 to sep 30 covered
And about new sim

That's how's system worked let say if activate in June for a 30 or 90 days plan after expiration of plan you have 90 days to top up again if you don't then you will lose your number and account will be suspended you can't use the same sim

But if you planning to have a service after a 90 days inactivity then I would suggest order a extra sim

MBNavion

@SD08 wrote:

@MBNavion

Since expired accounts are removed if not reactivated within 90 days, and you're gone for 75% of the year, then yes, looks like you'll need to repurchase a new SIM each year.  Once accounts are removed, the associated SIM becomes useless for future activations.  The alternative of keeping some kind of service every three months is not worth it unless you can pass the account to someone else's use during that time.

That sure was a quick reply!.😁 Beat me to my add on post!

If the SIM is good until activated I guess I could have a new one mailed to me in NL and bring it home for use the following year.

This would work after the initial Year of use.

SD08

@MBNavion wrote:

I should​ have said in my previous Post.  The phone would only be active from around June 26 through September 30.  Will I need to get a new SIM every year?

Yes, what I said applies to the situation you describe, so you'll need a new SIM each year.

MBNavion

I should​ have said in my previous Post.  The phone would only be active from around June 26 through September 30.  Will I need to get a new SIM every year?

SD08

@MBNavion

Since expired accounts are removed if not reactivated within 90 days, and you're gone for 75% of the year, then yes, looks like you'll need to repurchase a new SIM each year.  Once accounts are removed, the associated SIM becomes useless for future activations.  The alternative of keeping some kind of service every three months is not worth it unless you can pass the account to someone else's use during that time.

MBNavion

Thank you for that information. I might do that so I can use tjhe phone whole crossing NB and NS.

Next question is will I have to get a new SIM every year?  If so I guess the bestlan would have a new SIM shipped to me before leaving NL in October and keep it for use in the upcoming year.

SD08

@mimmo wrote:

you can buy a sim any time.  just activate it the day before you need it.

buying a sim raises a question does PM ship to the USA? answered above.

I just tried the SIM order page, and the only destination country allowed is Canada.

mimmo

you can buy a sim any time.  just activate it the day before you need it.

buying a sim raises a question does PM ship to the USA? answered above.

SD08

@MBNavion

You can buy a SIM anytime and leave it unactivated until you actually need the service. It can be activated online from anywhere, e.g. just before you travel. However, the SIM can only be delivered from Public Mobile to an address within Canada. You could have it sent to an address in Newfoundland ahead of time, and if you need to have it before you travel, then have a friend or relative mail it to your U.S. address.

MBNavion

@Luddite wrote:

@MBNavion You can check coverage here: https://publicmobile.ca/en/on/coverage and best to read this before buying a phone: http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/How-do-I-know-if-my-phone-will-work-on...

And one more thought: you may wish to consider a data only plan combined with a voip app with free calling (fongo.com is free across Canada and Google Hangouts across Canada/USA) as that would then allow you to use Google Maps as needed.

Do you have a plan to get a SIM? 

Plan for a SIM?   I guess when the time came I would just get one through the Public website.  Is there a better way?

Thanks for the links.  I have been to two of them before posting here.

Just thought of a question though.  Can I buy a SIM and a plan now and wait until June 26th when I depart for NL to activate it?

Thanks

MBNavion

@TheOldVR wrote:

** Sorry, I take that back, the Promo plan might not be what you want as you don't get all of Canada and U.S. included.... you would need an app like Fongo for that.

@MBNavion Sounds like you need a SIM card and the $25 promo plan...and that's it?

You can use an app for Long Distance calls to save you a bit of money.

Yes, I will need a SIM card and an unlocked GSM phone.  Looks like I can get a new unlocked IPhone SE cheaper than a refurbished IPhone 6 from Orchard.

I would just have to figure out how to put in the network settings.  I am sure someone here can help with that.

I am pretty sure those those numbers listed as not available only apply when using the US ROAMING add-on not for the base (Canada plus) plan or the long distance add-on. 

MBNavion

@mimmo wrote:

I think you have two options.

buy a 90 day canada US plan no text no data for 106$ /3 =35$can/month.  The service will not work while you are in the USA though, unless you buy USA addon for 10 days, but you likley have your USA phone.

Buy the current $25/month plan and buy the long distance calling addon expires when minutes are used up.  could be cheaper than option 1, depending on how much calling to USA you make.

My plan was t do exactly as you suggest in your first paragraph.  No problem with the phone not working in the US as I have my US phone as you pointed out.

One thing in reading the  explanation on the community was receiving calls from the US while in NL.  Looks like I could get a Province wide plan only and still be able to receive calls from any other province as well as the US.  My outgoing calls would be restricted to winthin whatever province I was in at the time.  Do I interpret that correctly?

I really don't call back to the US much and do have WiFi so I can use my google voice for calls back to the US.  However, if a family member in the US needed to reach me I would like them to be able to make incoming calls to me.  The province only fee at present is $91.00 for 3 months without text and data.  The all of Canada plus US is $106.00 for the same 3 month period without text and data.  For the additional $15.00 it would seem that all of Canada plus the US would be the way to go.

Looks like the concensus is payment is in Canadian funds.

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@MBNavion You can check coverage here: https://publicmobile.ca/en/on/coverage and best to read this before buying a phone: http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/How-do-I-know-if-my-phone-will-work-on...

And one more thought: you may wish to consider a data only plan combined with a voip app with free calling (fongo.com is free across Canada and Google Hangouts across Canada/USA) as that would then allow you to use Google Maps as needed.

Do you have a plan to get a SIM? 

MBNavion

@CaNuCk07 wrote:

@MBNavion  The All of Canada and the US plan would work for you, keeping in mind, these numbers are no longer covered in the US 712-432, 605-562, 641-552, 605-475, 605-477, 712-775, 559-726.

Furthermore, you would be charged in Canadian dollars, which for you right now with the CAD vs USD exchange rate would be a benefit for sure!

Thank you for your reply.  The numbers that you say are no longer covered have me confused. Are these Canadian area codes or exccanges?  Are they US area codes or exchanges?

For instance my US cell number is 518-681-xxxx.  The area in NL where I stay is called the central area.  My neighbors have numbers that are 709-536-xxxx.

I have heard that NL is adding a new area code. Presently all of NL is 709 area code.

Can you please explain what the no longer serviced numbers are?

Need Help? Let's chat.