cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where is my data going.

drtglynch
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have been a public mobile user for a little over a year, with a 90 day, 6GB data plan. Over my first three terms i barely reached 50% usage of my alotted data. In Jan '19 after my 3 month reset i noticed that my full 6 GB was used up  within a couple of weeks. My habits did not change and i cannot account for this usage. I decided to wait it out until my next reset in Apr but got tired of having to look for wifi passwords wherever i went so I purchased a 200 MB add-on ton Mar 11 to get me through on the very limited times i was not connected to wifi. I monitored my usage closely. Today... Mar 16, my data was again cut off. I DID NOT use 200mg of data in the last few days. In fact, the data useage link on the website shows only  a cummulative total 32 MB used since Mar 11.  What gives? I will be switching to another carrier if this cannot be reasonably explained. Can you help me? Thanks, Terry

7 REPLIES 7

@drtglynch, check your internal data monitor settings.  Have you set a limit on it that maybe crossing plan renewal cycles?  Data usage doesn’t reset monthly at Public Mobile, so if you’ve set a monthly limit, it maybe out of sync.

In the Google Playstore, I recommend the Data Witness PM app.  You can set for 30 or 90 day cycles.  This app isn’t available for iOS.  I think there is one in the iOS App Store call Data Monitor, and many others that do the same.

Psygineer
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@drtglynch wrote:

Even If there were apps updating behind the scenes i still cannot understand why the public mobile data usage link does not reflect this .  It says only a total of 32 Mb has been used since i purchased the 200MB addon.  My iphone settings  are configured to not update apps through cellular data. I am downloading a data monitor app now .

Mine are configured the way. I have told it not to use data period. I would still end the 30 days with between 10-25 MB used. 

PMOttawa
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Go to Settings --> data usage --> more

and select restrict background data and restricted network.

and keep monitoring let us know if that make a difference for you.

drtglynch
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Even If there were apps updating behind the scenes i still cannot understand why the public mobile data usage link does not reflect this .  It says only a total of 32 Mb has been used since i purchased the 200MB addon.  My iphone settings  are configured to not update apps through cellular data. I am downloading a data monitor app now .

Psygineer
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@drtglynch wrote:

I have been a public mobile user for a little over a year, with a 90 day, 6GB data plan. Over my first three terms i barely reached 50% usage of my alotted data. In Jan '19 after my 3 month reset i noticed that my full 6 GB was used up  within a couple of weeks. My habits did not change and i cannot account for this usage. I decided to wait it out until my next reset in Apr but got tired of having to look for wifi passwords wherever i went so I purchased a 200 MB add-on ton Mar 11 to get me through on the very limited times i was not connected to wifi. I monitored my usage closely. Today... Mar 16, my data was again cut off. I DID NOT use 200mg of data in the last few days. In fact, the data useage link on the website shows only  a cummulative total 32 MB used since Mar 11.  What gives? I will be switching to another carrier if this cannot be reasonably explained. Can you help me? Thanks, Terry

Your data goes to the same place my data goes. I have not enabled data for over a month, but I still have some usuage on it. There are apps are your phone that ignore disabled data and use it anyway. The phone itself likely performed an update.

NuYearNuMobile
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Phone Home Screen> Settings>Data Usage.

You can also check past usage history.

Check & u will find some answers.

Something similar should be there if you use iOS or newer Android versions.

I know where you're coming from & its frustrating.

But don't panic as you should be able to find the app that gulped your data.

Alex888
Mayor / Maire

@drtglynchCheck your setting and make sure your phone and apps are not trying to update or install using data. Try installing a data monitoring app that records the usage of each app seperatly.

Need Help? Let's chat.